FaunaClassifieds

FaunaClassifieds (https://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/index.php)
-   Ball Pythons Discussion Forum (https://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=244)
-   -   Shedding question (https://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71319)

Heis 08-22-2005 10:32 PM

Shedding question

A friend of mine was snake sitting and Diego started to shed. When I picked him up there were pieces of the skin but not an entire shed. He has pieces on his skin that I can see and heard that soaking him would help. Is this true? Is there anything else I can do to help him shed? thanks a ton
Andrew

Chris Steele 08-22-2005 10:56 PM

Make sure he has plenty to rub up on
Mist the cage for humidity
Yes, soaking is good.

hhmoore 08-23-2005 04:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heis
A friend of mine was snake sitting and Diego started to shed. When I picked him up there were pieces of the skin but not an entire shed. He has pieces on his skin that I can see and heard that soaking him would help. Is this true? Is there anything else I can do to help him shed? thanks a ton
Andrew

The best way to proceed will depend on how much retained skin he has. if it is just strips on his back, belly, and/or sides, soak him for a while (45 minutes or so). you can then put him in a pillowcase with a damp (wet, then rung out) towel. Obviously, you will need to tie, tape, or otherwise seal the pillowcase. then put it in his enclosure, if there is room - if not, find a place with suitable temps to leave it. If there is still unshed skin on the face, I prefer to remove that manually after soaking (actually, I usually do it all manually, if it is needed - it is easy, and pretty much like peeling a sunburn...everybody likes to do that, lol), just to make sure the eyecaps are off and the nares are clear. If you have a rubbermaid or sterilite container with a top, use that for soaking - it will be more effective at softening/loosening the unshed skin than just putting him in a basin of water. Be careful with water temperature. you don't want it too hot or too cold.

Heis 08-24-2005 02:34 AM

Thanks for the advice guys, it worked great!

Ginger Ambrose 08-24-2005 07:23 AM

I was also trying to help
my little girl (Jack) she was having
an awful shed, retaining about 80%
of her shed on her back. I was trying
putting her in her hide with a warm moist
towel, soaking her and all to little relief.
So when I read this I figured why not try
the pillow case. It worked like a dream
YEA !!!!!!!! Thanks so much Harald.
I have tried to deal with this for a week.
She looks great and seems so much happier.
I just went in and took her out and other
than her normal hissing like she is a 20 ft. long
monster she is beautiful.
I am a boa person, and she is my first ball, I now
know she needs a little higher humidity. Lesson
Learned.

Ginger