FaunaClassifieds

FaunaClassifieds (https://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Herp Talk (https://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=609)
-   -   Found some eggs... (https://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44261)

lostkauze 07-12-2004 04:00 PM

Found some eggs...

I was out working, when in a large ficus tree, I found 4 small eggs in a hole (in the tree). They are round and pretty hard. I thought about taking them and incubating them myself, but have no idea what they could be.

They are too small to be bird eggs, but too large to be normal 'garden lizard' eggs. I doubt it was a snake because it was about 6 feet up, and we dont have arboreal snakes here in south florida

interestingly enough, last week at the same park, i saw a large lizard like and iguana-- about a foot in length, bright green with blue and yellow around the eyes. I found it in a tree and scared it up further and it moved quite well in the tree. before I scared it, it moved like a chameleon all jerky and stuff... any insight?

Anyways, should I take the eggs or leave em where they are? I think it'll be a cool surprise to see what happens.

Thanks!
Michael

gmherps 07-12-2004 04:42 PM

Throw them in the incubator or a deli dish outside.
Then just let them go after successful hatching, but take a bunch of photos. Just incubate at the temperature you've been having there.

Mark and Aimee 07-12-2004 07:08 PM

You have no clue what they even are, and you are going to try to incubate them? There's a great way to get stuck with something you have no clue how to take care of.

Do yourself a favor, and leave them alone.

lostkauze 07-13-2004 07:39 AM

Mark and Aimee, that's what I've decided to do. Even though if I did release them, its not the same environment, and I do have no clue what they could be. So I'm going to leave em there and check back once a week and see what happens.
Michael

crotalusadamanteus 10-03-2005 06:45 PM

For natures sake........NO

Personally, I say leave them be. Check on them daily if you wish, but leave nature to do its thing. Human interference, even with a good heart, often times ends up hurting wildlife. :>poke2<:

You have no clue what they are. Reason #2 to leave 'em be. Most herps that I know of lay several eggs. More than 4 for sure.
Some bird eggs are pretty small. 4 seems about the right # for some birds. Some birds are migratory, and are protected until they fly home.

These are things I would make sure I knew before messing with any wild laid eggs of any sort. If you can't ID them, leave 'em be. That's just a good rule IMHO. :)

Ciao,
Rick

Cat_72 10-04-2005 09:50 AM

Ever seen finch eggs? They are REALLY small, lol. That would be my guess as to what they are.....but just a guess.

I'm glad you decided to leave them alone, but I'd be really curious to see if and what they hatch! :)

Bahamut 11-06-2005 06:19 PM

Since you live in south florida, your description of the lizard really sounds like a Knight anole. They are not native to florida. They were introduced accidentally from Cuba a long time ago. Also, as a side note, many of the native snakes in florida, such as the rat snakes, will climb trees even though they are not really arboreal. They just don't normally lay their eggs there.