FaunaClassifieds

FaunaClassifieds (https://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/index.php)
-   Venomous Snakes Discussion Forum (https://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=327)
-   -   Giving birth after 6 years from a male... (https://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=265030)

GHC Exotics 08-15-2011 07:25 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Here are more photos from the birthing... As you can see from around her, she had several slugs, and there were even 2 that seemed like they were forming, but died early into it.. enjoy the pictures.. :) The first photo shows what I walked into Sunday Morning. She generally will not eat in front of people, or with the lights on, so I leave her meal inside the cage with her overnight, I first noticed the food remaining in the cage, then saw all the suprises second. I then removed the rodent, from the cage, and she continued the birthing process.

SirenSanJose 08-15-2011 08:01 PM

Wow, not even out of the sac and already trying to eat your face. What an adorable, fiesty little mite!

GHC Exotics 08-16-2011 10:07 PM

Well, actually that was its first big "yawn", they both are still on the slow side as of right now, no telling what will happen after the first shed. They are doing very well so far!

radera5 08-16-2011 10:15 PM

This is so sweet!:thumbsup::thumbsup:Thanks for the thread!!
If I had good Karma I would send it your way!

Helenthereef 08-17-2011 01:55 AM

If you can afford it DNA analysis would answer your question. I'm told it's possible to get DNA from freshly shed skins. Did you keep the slugs? there might be recoverable DNA in there.

SamanthaJane13 08-18-2011 01:04 AM

HOLY SPERM RETENTION, Bat Man!!

Congrats to you and the momma!!

:eek:

rcarichter 08-18-2011 08:28 AM

My favorite line from Jurassic Park--"Life finds a way."

Noelle

SamanthaJane13 08-18-2011 09:40 AM

For sure!!

lauraleellbp 08-18-2011 10:10 AM

Wow what an amazing story!

I'm also extremely curious if this was from stored sperm or parthenogenesis. I'd guess stored sperm, and that would also explain why so many slugs/stillbirths/deformities as the sperm deteriorated over time.

You should contact your local news!

GHC Exotics 08-18-2011 08:54 PM

Actually I did keep the slugs, they are all frozen in a container right now, I was hoping to figure out a way to preserve them for display purposes along with keeping the two babes for display. Im not even sure where to start to find out how much DNA testing would cost, though Im sure its far more than we have right now, funds stay tight as a small business!
But either way, it really is one of the more interesting things thats ever happened to me while dealing with reptiles, or heck, animals of any sort for that matter!!
Im hoping to do an update video as these babies progress, They seem to be doing decently well though.