FaunaClassifieds

FaunaClassifieds (https://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boas Discussion Forum (https://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=263)
-   -   My 1st Boa Breeding Attempt (https://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=157107)

Metachrosis 03-22-2010 03:15 PM

Snakes gonna do what snakes gonna do,put a man and a woman in a confined space for an extended period and someones getting pregnant ;)

Attempting a seasonal change by forced cooling of adult animals is where
those that cool miss it.
Boa in the wild do not grow to adult stages then suddenly encounter
a cool down,they live their entire life with the seasonal changes within their regions.
Forced cooling is forced breeding and its done for monetary gain,true animal welfare is the last on many folks agenda.( I M O )

I believe there is more to ambient light manipulation then most that cool
give credit,which is generally done during cooling.
Doing half of a half ass job :rolleyes:

So ya ll keep cooling all those fine animals you have stuffed in them fish tanks in the back of those Apartment dwelling closets.

Five years from now you will still be paying rent . . . . :rofl:

gsrept 03-22-2010 06:38 PM

so what you are saying there is no cooloing or cycling of light in south america.

gsrept 03-22-2010 06:43 PM

well from evrything i have read and been told they breed during the cooler rainy season. i have been to brazil in both summer and winter and it is definatly cooloer in thier winter months or rainy season.just point of info.

crotalusadamanteus 03-22-2010 06:48 PM

They have a rainy season, I don't know if I'd call it much cooler though. Well Panama wasn't anyway. LOL Can't speak first hand about the rest of the countries down there.

gsrept 03-22-2010 07:00 PM

here is site on temhttp://www.v-brazil.com/information/geography/temperature-graphs.htmlperature fluctuation.

gsrept 03-22-2010 07:05 PM

there are cooler below 20 at higher altitudes at lower altitudes they run as low as 65 degrees

gsrept 03-22-2010 07:08 PM

http://www.gate1travel.com/weather/a...s/default.aspx here is a better site that gives average temps for whole region note in some areas below 50.

crotalusadamanteus 03-22-2010 07:09 PM

I think what Tom was trying to say is, (I'm rusty on my Texan to American translations, so bare with me :D ) that light cycle is not given enough credit. It may play a larger role then all the other manipulations man tries to accomplish breeding.

Your link is not working either. 404 page not found.

I guess what I was trying to say is, it may be a bit cooler in the rainy season, but it sure didn't feel like it.

gsrept 03-22-2010 07:19 PM

i would agree with that some what i just believe that i get better breeding responces when i drop temps 5 to 10 degrees my females have had bigger litters like this and produced less slugs i would assume that there is some coralation

crotalusadamanteus 03-22-2010 07:29 PM

Like I said before, I don't do it, but I know people who won't have success unless they do. Probably a geography thing. Me and Tom both live in relatively similar environments, so not cooling works for us.

Helenthereef 03-22-2010 07:48 PM

I'm keeping one of the less well known boa species in their natural habitat, so temp, humidity and light cycles are all as nature intended.

I can only say that when I put two males in with a female at the end of our "Winter" (southern hemisphere July/ August/ September), they went straight for her, (and I have hopes of a pregnancy, still not certain), but when I put them in with a different female in our "Summer" (December/ January/ February), they have insisted on remaining just good friends.

I'm not sure what the pros and cons of artificial cooling etc are, but it certainly appears to make a difference "in the wild"

gsrept 03-22-2010 07:50 PM

thats cool just interesting to here what hobbyist in different parts do and what works for them.

Metachrosis 03-22-2010 08:31 PM

Boa in the wild do not grow to adult stages then suddenly encounter
a cool down,they live their entire life with the seasonal changes within their regions.
Forced cooling is forced breeding and its done for monetary gain,true animal welfare is the last on many folks agenda.( I M O )

You seem to have missed what I said,try again :rolleyes_

Quote:

Originally Posted by gsrept (Post 898987)
so what you are saying there is no cooloing or cycling of light in south america.

Metachrosis 03-22-2010 08:46 PM

again its not so much "how its done"(cooling)
Its why its done in the big picture,hiding behind the label "hobbyist" fools far fewer then anticipated.

The last 5-6 years has really junked out this hobby to a point of no return
Its good to see efforts far and above shoving rats to a snake in a tub
and rushing to market

Quote:

Originally Posted by Helenthereef (Post 899071)
I'm keeping one of the less well known boa species in their natural habitat, so temp, humidity and light cycles are all as nature intended.

I can only say that when I put two males in with a female at the end of our "Winter" (southern hemisphere July/ August/ September), they went straight for her, (and I have hopes of a pregnancy, still not certain), but when I put them in with a different female in our "Summer" (December/ January/ February), they have insisted on remaining just good friends.

I'm not sure what the pros and cons of artificial cooling etc are, but it certainly appears to make a difference "in the wild"

Twizted Paths 03-22-2010 09:08 PM

They also have daily temperature fluctuations in the wild. They're not kept in completely static temperature controlled environments year round.

Once you pull an animal out of the wild everything that applied in the wild is no longer applicable. I'm not saying nothing is either.

If you read my post you'll see that my problem as been stopping them from cycling themselves despite my best efforts.

Utta 03-22-2010 10:50 PM

not only temps flux bell, they move around from higher to lower humidity as well. i dont want to cool any of my animals, i rather not breed then risk some of my babies getting RI or something.

hows he eating Bell? started again? or still no? :(

Twizted Paths 03-22-2010 11:08 PM

Thanks Ty, he gets tried again with a small rat this Wednesday. I wanted to make sure he had plenty of time to get his stomach back to level.

Gonna give him a rare treat ~ fresh killed :thumbsup:

In the wild boas can still choose to find nice warm spots under sun warmed decaying plant matter and bask more/longer to make up for the temp differences. In captivity they only have the narrow gradient we allow them, they can't seek out optimal conditions.

Utta 03-22-2010 11:16 PM

yummy! fresh killed! *hopes he eats*

true they cant seek it out, but we DO try to give them optimal conditions. or as close as we can get it with us still feeling its in there best interest.

ultimately its what we as owners feel is safest for our animals. one could go all out and have a realistic set up complete with mites and all, and toss in life food etc etc. but that's not what we feel (at least not me and i know not you as well as many others on this forum) to be in there best interest. -end rant.

there's always this season! and your boas are stunning, so i know you'll have some sexy offspring! ;)

Helenthereef 03-23-2010 02:25 AM

I was also told that it's more likely after a storm (presumably humidity and atmospheric pressure triggers) and it certainly would be hard to provide those factors at home !

(Like to meet the extremist who'd try though :D)

Utta 03-23-2010 03:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Helenthereef (Post 899421)

*grabs mister and shop vac* lets do this!

gsrept 03-23-2010 06:31 PM

all mi am saying is my boas have full op to go to there hot spot but over all ambient temp in my room gets dropped i also use night time temp drops all year long i have bveen doing this for ovr 18 years never lost a boa or had ri problems the problem exists when you have prolonged periods of cold and dry humidity and i am not in it for profit i produce 2 litters at most every other year all my females get a year off i do not breed year after year like most folks do. i am not pushing my views on you so don't push your holyer than thou views on me.

crotalusadamanteus 03-23-2010 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Helenthereef (Post 899421)

LOL I actually thought up a HUGE outdoor enclosure/snake bldg once, complete with skylights, live plants & trees, a pond with a small circulating stream, misters set on timers all over the place like rainfall, exhaust fans for circulation, heated in key locations like dark hide areas, the whole room designed to drain through the lower floor. :thumbsup:

One of these days I'll smarten up enough to BUY a place so I can actually build it. :yesnod: I thought this up long before I ever bred an animal though.

Metachrosis 03-23-2010 07:57 PM

My "Holier Then Thou" has nothing to do with you "Explicitly" taking what I said and twisting it completely out of context.:shootfoot
Don't want the dog out,don't yank the chain! :reddevil:

Therefore my "current/future view" of you has nothing to do with cooling
BCI to breed :ack2:
Further more,I take a firm stand against the practice of cooling BCI for propagation.I do not run away from my position just because someone stomps their foot in redundant opposition to my belief.You either come with equal or greater in context or you fall flat on your ass as most do.

Reptiles as with any other wild creature(s) are very simplistic life forms
the less human intrusion they are subjected to the better they thrive,thriving is inclusive to a complete life cycle.
Birth,Reproduction and Death,human intrusion has justified "fast tracking" this event to an irreversible state.

I personally don't need to literally know "everything" about Boa's
I do not need "cyber social acceptance" to be secure in my life,"I am"
without my snakes,"I am" without kissing cyber ass and a 6 digit post count.

What I "will be" is the first in line to stick a finger in the ass that attempts to suggest or support the creature this hobby has become.

If it didn't jeopardize "sales" there would be several "well knowns" that would tell you the same things.I'm not in this as a business and future sales are not even considered,therefore I can be the jackass many would so often like to be when dealing with the less then assumed intelligent dweebs that constantly regurge qouted data and statistics on public forums.

:flamethr:

Quote:

Originally Posted by gsrept (Post 899878)
all mi am saying is my boas have full op to go to there hot spot but over all ambient temp in my room gets dropped i also use night time temp drops all year long i have bveen doing this for ovr 18 years never lost a boa or had ri problems the problem exists when you have prolonged periods of cold and dry humidity and i am not in it for profit i produce 2 litters at most every other year all my females get a year off i do not breed year after year like most folks do. i am not pushing my views on you so don't push your holyer than thou views on me.

Shadera 03-23-2010 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crotalusadamanteus (Post 899895)
LOL I actually thought up a HUGE outdoor enclosure/snake bldg once, complete with skylights, live plants & trees, a pond with a small circulating stream, misters set on timers all over the place like rainfall, exhaust fans for circulation, heated in key locations like dark hide areas, the whole room designed to drain through the lower floor. :thumbsup:

One of these days I'll smarten up enough to BUY a place so I can actually build it. :yesnod: I thought this up long before I ever bred an animal though.

Ooo, that sounds nice! Please elaborate. :yesnod: Will there be individual enclosures, and how would they be set up?

Twizted Paths 03-23-2010 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gsrept (Post 899878)
i am not pushing my views on you so don't push your holyer than thou views on me.

You came to my thread and joined the conversation in progress of Your Own Free Will.

I did not wander out into the nets, tie you up, and force you to read and respond to the views here. You choose too.

I welcome anyone to post their experiences, whether or not I agree with them.

Just don't cry like a baby when I don't roll over and worship you.

Twizted Paths 03-23-2010 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crotalusadamanteus (Post 899895)

Come on Rick, pics! You know you have sketches of it laying around somewhere, if not a detailed to scale graph...

What kind of plants did you figure being able to hold up to the abuse?

I'd love to get a hold of a green house someday... ok, so I'd need a few :rolleyes:

crotalusadamanteus 03-23-2010 09:30 PM

Sketches gone long ago. But it wouldn't be hard to redo. It was meant to be 4 large walk in enclosures, separated by walls. Hadn't gotten as far as the plant life part to be honest. Always figured I'd do it later. LOL

One of these days though. :beer:

Metachrosis 03-23-2010 09:47 PM

Rick, didn't you do a post over at the other house ?
You and Art both posted some sorta something didn't yah ?

Good Luck finding it some where around 1,500 post ago . . . :rofl:

crotalusadamanteus 03-23-2010 10:13 PM

That was an after thought based on my original thought, and enhanced a bit, but yeah, I think so. LOL

crotalusadamanteus 03-23-2010 10:17 PM

Oh hell Tom, even you coulda done that one. :rofl::rofl:

http://www.boaddiction.com/showthread.php?t=370

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...eederhouse.jpg

Utta 03-23-2010 10:44 PM

damn rick! that looks GREAT! but wheres the pond? shouldn't it be BLUE? :toetap05:

Twizted Paths 03-24-2010 01:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Utta (Post 900109)
damn rick! that looks GREAT! but wheres the pond? shouldn't it be BLUE? :toetap05:

"Cause that's the only thing to fuss about with it :rofl:

And, yup ~ it's graphed :D

Shadera 03-24-2010 01:12 AM

I love it. The only thing it's missing is a little cage for me to live in.

Utta 03-24-2010 02:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twizted Paths (Post 900201)
"Cause that's the only thing to fuss about with it :rofl:

And, yup ~ it's graphed :D

it's the only thing that I've found lol. it looks great man.

but I'd section off the sink from the QT area.

crotalusadamanteus 03-24-2010 07:11 AM

Yeah, my original idea was a bit more elaborate. But that was back when I still had plans of winning the lottery. LOL This one didn't have a pond, just the tubs, and admittedly, I didn't put near as much thought and planning into this quick idea that I did the original. Plus I actually used software for this one, and it is lacking some symbols I needed. But hey, I bought cheap stuff, and you get what you pay for, right. LOL

I had thought of a separate sink in the main room for cleaning, but just never redid the drawing. The whole contamination thing did come to mind though. On those lines, if you enter the Q area, exhaust fans kick on to create a negative airflow from the main room for those possible "airborne" type of bugs. Probably some other features I just ain't thinking of, or would add as I went along.

But I was just playing around with this idea, never really got serious about it.. I never did win that lottery so I could make it all work. :(

crotalusadamanteus 03-24-2010 07:15 AM

BTW, I think one thing that was pointed out to me would be the ambient heat created by the bay windows. Makes sense too, I'd have to plan that part out a little better if I was to use this scheme.

Utta 03-24-2010 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crotalusadamanteus (Post 900274)
BTW, I think one thing that was pointed out to me would be the ambient heat created by the bay windows. Makes sense too, I'd have to plan that part out a little better if I was to use this scheme.

The ambient temp would actually help, you would need to counter the effects of the humidity % lowering.

You could do like, mirrors re-directing the sun away from your rooms (behind the bay windows and in front of the boa section if you know what I'm saying) into the rest of the room to make it brighter and add some natural lighting instead of all those florescent fixtures you were looking forward too. ;)

Really, wouldn't the bay windows only be affected if the sun was going straight into them? i don't really think (but i am probably wrong) the sun when its at noon would affect them too much.

crotalusadamanteus 03-24-2010 06:49 PM

Humidity can be countered with exhaust fans and a good air flow. I was thinking an awning of sorts would fix things. As long as it sticks out far enough to stop "direct" summer sun from entering. Winter sun lower on the horizon could help.

Good thing I'm a surveyor by trade. That could come in handy putting the line of the building on the correct axis with the sun. The Egyptians, the Mayans and Aztecs did it with sticks and strings forever ago. :yesnod:

Twizted Paths 03-24-2010 07:52 PM

Using shade trees outside,as opposed to awnings, would shade the whole building & could provide tasty goodness if they were fruit trees :D

Banana trees though? Not much positive climbing wise for the boas and can't they only fruit once?

*envisions boas slithering through smushed nanas* :ack2:

Why not citrus? Good food, different variety, easier clean up, natural deodorizer, good climbing, easy to train (bonsai techniques), flowering.

Egyptians, Mayans & Aztecs were awesome, it's a shame we don't have access to their history.

Your job sounds like it could be interesting :yesnod:

crotalusadamanteus 03-24-2010 09:53 PM

I just like banana trees. They look neat. LOL Never thought about them coming to fruit only once though. If that's the case, why're there so many bananas in the world? LOL Citrus? Flowers and fruit, yes. But they need bees or bugs don't they? I'm gonna try hard to avoid the bugs.

But the trees weren't meant for climbing anyway. Just aesthetics and humidity.

Surveying is REALLY interesting. Requires some fairly strong math skills, but the only other trade that's older is prostitution. :rofl: And I get to be outdoors like I like. Only sucks when you're building things for morons, or developing your herp hunting grounds. :(