FaunaClassifieds

FaunaClassifieds (https://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/index.php)
-   Field Collecting/Observing (https://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=459)
-   -   catching kingsnakes in florida. (https://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=145378)

gecko121 09-01-2009 06:41 PM

catching kingsnakes in florida.

does anyone know where i can catch kingsnakes in central florida?

Kingetula 10-09-2009 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gecko121 (Post 765613)
does anyone know where i can catch kingsnakes in central florida?

I've been here for dcades, found justa bout everything else but stil have not found a Kingsnake (besides Scarlet).

2 live Pinesnakes (1 dead)
1 live Copperhead (1 dead)

Not sure how I lucked out and found these and not a Kingsnake yet, sort of bothers me.

kaynesully 06-04-2010 04:51 PM

ive lived in south florida all my life and i work in okeechobee and so far ive caught plenty of rat snakes, black racers, and garter or ribbon snakes, ive caught numerous eatsern diamondbacks, numerous pygmy rattlers, ive caught an eastern hognose which one of the most awesome snakes ever and an awesome pet loved the bluffing hissing and fake strikes, ive caught a legless lizard or glass snake whichever u wanna call it, ive caught cottonmouths, watched someone run over an easter indigo unfortunately gorgeous snake, caught tons of banded and brown watersnakes, and ringnecks, and ive seen one coral snake in the yard but never caught it, but florida is the place to be, hell we can even catch burmese pythons now lol

brd7666 06-05-2010 11:41 AM

I use to catch Kingsnakes down by Lake Okeechobe. They are in and around all of the sugar cane fields. Good luck.

sFlsniper 07-22-2010 05:29 PM

I've caught snakes since I was 10 growing up in Loxahatchee (west Palm Beach County). I've only ever seen/caught 1 Florida king... Seen/caught just about all the others, and lots of exotics around Hillsboro!

have you had any luck searching?

redhood23 07-23-2010 07:15 PM

i used to live in margate and would go to the end of lox road( the boarder between broward and west palm beach). out there i have caught about 15-20 fla kings. more yellow and red rats than anything tho. the coolest snakes i have caught there were eastern mud snakes scarlet kings and about 100 corals. on average i would go out for about 3 hours a night and find about 5-6 snakes and about 200 treefrogs. the mosquitos suck bad out there.

sFlsniper 07-23-2010 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redhood23 (Post 1018356)
i used to live in margate and would go to the end of lox road( the boarder between broward and west palm beach). out there i have caught about 15-20 fla kings. more yellow and red rats than anything tho. the coolest snakes i have caught there were eastern mud snakes scarlet kings and about 100 corals. on average i would go out for about 3 hours a night and find about 5-6 snakes and about 200 treefrogs. the mosquitos suck bad out there.

I always found the mud snakes ugly- :rofl:

LampropeltisCollector 12-10-2010 12:57 PM

Here in Central Florida, it is a once in a blue moon thing to find a kind of true kingsnakes, but i catch mostly scarlet kings. But i have a wild caught Florida King from South Florida. Your best look for catching a (Lampropeltis getula floridiania) is to go South Florida like the everglades. They prefer the sugar cane fields, and places by swamps.

cuestick27 11-07-2014 04:41 AM

carpet traps or cruise the roads by sugar cane when it gets cold they come to the road for warmth