FaunaClassifieds

FaunaClassifieds (https://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/index.php)
-   Cornsnakes & Ratsnakes Discussion Forum (https://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=345)
-   -   Help for Serenity (https://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=646677)

shadoradances 02-01-2018 05:58 PM

Help for Serenity

Hello fellow corn snake lovers. One of my babies (7 months) narrowly escaped being eaten by my cats that tore thru her screen top while I was gone for the weekend and was missing for 6 weeks. I feared the worst, but never truly lost hope, and last night I was sitting on my back porch when she dropped from the eve of the house toward the porch light (in search of heat I’m sure)! She then promptly found herself plastered to the fly strip that was hanging by the light and I was horrified! We got her (and the strip) down and drove the 40 miles to the nearest “exotic” animal hospital. The vet got her cleaned off and checked her out and other than losing about 20% of her body weight she is fine. The vet said take her home, feed her, and get her warm. The bonus to her being alright? The EMERGENCY VET didn’t charge us a penny to take care of her. They had never quite had a patient with her story before.

Now, my question: how much and how often should I feed her to get her back on track after losing so much weight? She is 30” and 41g. Thanks for your help!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

hotlips 02-01-2018 08:03 PM

I'd feed smaller & more frequent meals for a while, and gradually increase as you see that she is digesting well and as she acts hungry. If she were my snake, I'd feed her once a week right now, probably hoppers (-without seeing her); don't rush her on food, it can backfire & set her further back. Boy is she lucky! (-is that her name?) Hint: you absolutely need cat-proof cages. What a nice emergency vet you've got there.

shadoradances 02-01-2018 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hotlips (Post 2055447)
I'd feed smaller & more frequent meals for a while, and gradually increase as you see that she is digesting well and as she acts hungry. If she were my snake, I'd feed her once a week right now, probably hoppers (-without seeing her); don't rush her on food, it can backfire & set her further back. Boy is she lucky! (-is that her name?) Hint: you absolutely need cat-proof cages. What a nice emergency vet you've got there.

Thanks for replying and confirming what I thought. Yes, Serenity is her name[emoji5] and she is a wonderful tessera pied. I hope we have a long, uneventful life together!

hotlips 02-01-2018 10:30 PM

I was suggesting (in jest) that Lucky should be her name, but hopefully she'll now find serenity too. I would keep her stress-free (not handled) & hopefully she'll make a nice recovery. Corn snakes are really sweet creatures.

shadoradances 02-04-2018 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hotlips (Post 2055488)
I was suggesting (in jest) that Lucky should be her name, but hopefully she'll now find serenity too. I would keep her stress-free (not handled) & hopefully she'll make a nice recovery. Corn snakes are really sweet creatures.

My LUCKY girl, Serenity, is doing very well now. Thanks again for your kind replies. [emoji1303][emoji16]

BlueCrowned 02-04-2018 08:13 PM

Wow what a mess! Glad you found her! No more cats in the reptile room right?? lol

Corn snakes are a gift to the hobby.

Helenthereef 02-04-2018 08:19 PM

So glad you found her.

My first snakes were garter snakes, and my cats figured out how to open their tank one night. I woke up to missing snakes, and cats huddled in the kitchen - they'd all gone to ground under the washing machine. They did have cuts and scratches, but all recovered well and I learned a valuable lesson about tank security (and snake resilience).

Has Serenity started eating for you?

shadoradances 02-04-2018 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueCrowned (Post 2055977)
Wow what a mess! Glad you found her! No more cats in the reptile room right?? lol

Corn snakes are a gift to the hobby.

It certainly was a scary mess, too. Hopefully, cat-proof metal screens will be a barrier should the cats gain entry!

shadoradances 02-04-2018 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Helenthereef (Post 2055979)
So glad you found her.

My first snakes were garter snakes, and my cats figured out how to open their tank one night. I woke up to missing snakes, and cats huddled in the kitchen - they'd all gone to ground under the washing machine. They did have cuts and scratches, but all recovered well and I learned a valuable lesson about tank security (and snake resilience).

Has Serenity started eating for you?

I think my cats and I both learned valuable lessons from the escapade [emoji1319] and Serenity is cherished more for the part she had to play. She has eaten well and is happy to be back in the care of her humans. We are ecstatic everything has turned out so well.

Helenthereef 02-04-2018 09:08 PM

Glad to hear it, they are great escape artists.