FaunaClassifieds

FaunaClassifieds (https://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/index.php)
-   Iguanas & Monitors Discussion Forum (https://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=95)
-   -   Reality, or really not happening. (https://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=293747)

FLAherper 12-23-2011 05:09 PM

Reality, or really not happening.

Hello, I usually use the fauna for classifieds but decided to use forums
To.
Little info I'm 15 parents have never let
Me
Keep a reptile in my life, so I went out and
Got a job to pay for all of them myself. I'm in Florida Duh, and
I am really into the varanus family. I have a large reptile shop near me and I'm really just wanting a monitor or tegu. the large lizards to me are just amazing.

So I know just how hard it is to keep any type of monitor, with large spaces deep substrate correct and large diet and a pissed of 4+ ft lizard if you handle them wrong. But if correctly they are beautiful feisty animals.

I have 2 beardies right now a female argentine boa and a jungle carpet.
I have experience with 2 large niles I feed clean at shop. And would think about getting one of my own. But the species I am unsure of. I would assume black throat but idk it's a huge thing and come interment to think about.

Opinions.

Ntyvirus 12-23-2011 07:36 PM

what living arrangement do you have, bigger monitors require lots of room and if you are in a small apartment or a similar situation simple space could present a problem. Another thing to consider is it takes a lot more to care for a monitor then your beardies and the two snakes. I would say just make sure you do your research first and jump in to anything you arent able to handle.

FLAherper 12-23-2011 07:58 PM

I think the younger guys are harder to
Care for (they were for me) due to Insect diet. But the meat the miles
Put away is ridiculous!!!

And I have plenty of room for a medium
Monitor cage. I do not live in a apartment.

tegu man 12-24-2011 03:13 PM

monitors need a lot of support they grow very fast when they are kept right so you would be better starting off with smaller ones like akies. even the smaller ones need big enclosures and lots of heat .

FLAherper 12-24-2011 05:18 PM

I'm not a fan of the ackies, they are monitor in truth but are mini sized lol. Waters miles
Crocs I've all
Dealt with are to big for me def not begginer, owner of where I work
Said I should go black throat.

tegu man 12-24-2011 05:57 PM

black throats are a good way to go but they get big as you no. get a baby v. ornatus they can come vary tame over a nile but also get very large. and the trust in the monitor is between you and them if you can support the monitor with the care they need you will have a best friend.

FosterHerpetological 12-24-2011 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FLAherper (Post 1398867)
Dealt with are to big for me def not begginer

If you're only 15 I'd say you're still a beginner bud. Lol

tegu man 12-24-2011 11:33 PM

what are you supposed to start with a gecko if you start with a baby you will learn bud.

FLAherper 12-25-2011 09:46 AM

Haha I meant not for a beginner. And idk what age has to
Do with it, I keep some reptiles at home but have spent a lot
Of time caring for these animals properly and have learned a lot about
Varanus.

Offkillter1 12-25-2011 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FLAherper (Post 1399014)
Haha I meant not for a beginner. And idk what age has to
Do with it, I keep some reptiles at home but have spent a lot
Of time caring for these animals properly and have learned a lot about
Varanus.

Age should play some part in you decision making process.Look at it objectively.Monitors take an exceptional amount of time,room and care.Then reflect on your current situation.Your fifteen and live at home.Do you plan on going to college,when you go do you think your folks are prepared to care for your friend?If not college when you turn eighteen you'll likely need a place to live.When I was eighteen I could afford a shoe box size apartment. Whether school,full time work and or both you will be pressed for time.Personally if I were you I'd let life flesh out a little more before taking on medium to large monitor.