FaunaClassifieds

FaunaClassifieds (https://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/index.php)
-   Ball Pythons Discussion Forum (https://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=244)
-   -   Substrate to use for snake racks?? (https://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=345912)

rwg19 09-10-2012 11:35 PM

Substrate to use for snake racks??

I have been experimenting with different substrates the last few months on my ball python racks and in my argentine tegu cage. Either i find something that limits odor but requires cleaning the whole cage when the snake deficates or the odor is bad but easy to clean... im looking for a solution and ideas please help me out? whats the best?! Thanks!

hhmoore 09-11-2012 12:15 AM

There is no perfect answer...especially for ball python AND tegu.
Sanichips are decent for BPs, but I wouldn't want to use them for a tegu.

rwg19 09-11-2012 12:21 AM

Im more concerned with the ball pythons. Cypress mulch is good for the tegus. Any recommendations for the bps??

Shadera 09-11-2012 12:35 AM

Howdy neighbor. :D

I like indented kraft paper for babies, breeding and quarantine. Otherwise, sanichips is my bedding of choice. Tried everything else and didn't like it for one reason or another.

Willow 09-11-2012 02:17 AM

I've never tried sani chips with the balls....would be worried bout chips getting in their vent I think, but Im pretty paranoid haha.

Just switched everyone from Cypress Mulch back to paper towels.....I like paper the most.

hhmoore 09-11-2012 07:56 AM

I don't use particulate substrates during breeding.
I liked the SaniChips when I was using it...but everything is on paper now. I use bogus paper for the balls.

Mooing Tricycle 09-11-2012 10:55 AM

Cleaning often is better than less so. I used to keep everything on cypress, then I'd go back to aspen*Less dirty...*, but then i would hate cleaning substrate because it gets EVERYWHERE on cleaning days. I tried SEVERAL types! ( Harlan Teklad diamond soft, carefresh, large chip and small chip aspen varieties, cypress varieties even reptibark/orchid bark stuff which was horrible!) Back to paper towel and im sticking with it. You get a few who NEED to mess it up, but its easy enough to fix. It makes washing tubs and really getting them clean a breeze too, because you dont have all sorts of dust or matter from the shavings/mulch to deal with.

snakesRkewl 09-11-2012 11:07 AM

Bounty, it's "The Quicker Picker Upper".
We use paper towels on all of our ball pythons from hatchling to 4000 grams, wouldn't want it any other way.

joshjtd 09-11-2012 12:08 PM

I have lost a snake due to aspen getting in the vent and causing an infection. I would advise papertowels, newspaper, and stuff like that. My case may be a one in a million but I would rather be safe than sorry.

snowgyre 09-11-2012 07:37 PM

Wow, I'm sorry to hear that, Josh. I've used aspen for several years now and haven't had any problems, but I have noticed that not all brands are created equal. A brand I used to purchase when I was in Georgia was extremely dusty, and I didn't like it very much. The brand I use now is not dusty at all, and the fibers are much softer (it's the PetCo brand).

I never liked newspaper. I used to use newspaper for leopard geckos until I noticed the ink was bleeding off onto the cage and sometimes on the geckos themselves, depending upon relative humidity. Paper towels work good and that's what I currently use for leopard geckos, but paper towels get all bunched up on me and the animal almost always misses the dang stuff. I dislike cypress mulch because I think that most cypress harvesting is done rather unsustainably (cypress grows in wetlands, which are very sensitive to mechanical disturbance).