FaunaClassifieds

FaunaClassifieds (https://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/index.php)
-   Kingsnakes & Milksnakes Discussion Forum (https://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=291)
-   -   Feeding Baby Grey Banded Kingsnake (https://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=634817)

Runs_With_Wolves 09-22-2017 10:27 PM

Feeding Baby Grey Banded Kingsnake

I just bought a baby grey banded kingsnake. She'll arrive Tuesday morning. So I have a bunch of fuzzy mice for my older grey banded king snake. Can I cut a fuzzy in half for the baby? Will that still be too big? I don't know how big she is, but she is a non-feeder.

WebSlave 09-23-2017 12:56 AM

Good luck with that.

I used to produce a modest number of gray banded kings years ago, but finally threw in the towel on them when 99% of them insisted on lizards for their first several meals. Some never did want to take pinky mice at all.

If you can find baby fence lizards (or strangely enough Mediterranean or house geckos) or equivalent locally, then you might have a fighting chance at getting yours feeding.

Again, good luck.

elena 09-23-2017 11:34 AM

What Rich said. You are going to need some lizards. Reach out to your breeder for a source. Although I'm not sure he's the best guy as he sold a non-feeder without explaining the process of getting them fed, to someone who had never done it before.

Also, no you can't cut the fuzzy in half, it would still be too wide. You could try decapitating the fuzzy and feeding the head.

Runs_With_Wolves 09-23-2017 12:51 PM

So I've heard of tease feeding. Couldn't I just do that with a pinky?

Khcorn 09-23-2017 02:31 PM

I think the point is that grey banded king snakes don't even think of mice as prey at first. They have evolved to eat other reptiles and when they are born that is what they want to do.

Trying to tease feed with something the snake doesn't even consider food is annoying at best and scary for the baby at worst

Runs_With_Wolves 09-23-2017 07:48 PM

The breeder says he gets them to eat by brain splitting the mice. I hate doing that, but if I have to I will.

WebSlave 09-24-2017 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Runs_With_Wolves (Post 2031216)
The breeder says he gets them to eat by brain splitting the mice. I hate doing that, but if I have to I will.

I know some people swear by that method, but I can't recall a single instance where I had a problem feeder anything that took a brained pinky after refusing other offerings.

You really need to be looking for a source of feeder lizards pronto.

Runs_With_Wolves 09-25-2017 04:24 AM

I live in Bozeman Montana. Not much out here. Is there someplace online I can buy frozen feeder lizards?

bcr229 09-25-2017 08:34 AM

If you can't find feeder lizards a company called ReptiLinks sells anole scent.

Beyond GenetiX 09-25-2017 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcr229 (Post 2031522)
If you can't find feeder lizards a company called ReptiLinks sells anole scent.

I'd order sooner than later, they only ship once a month.