FaunaClassifieds

FaunaClassifieds (https://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/index.php)
-   Ball Pythons Discussion Forum (https://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=244)
-   -   Herpstat temps and probe placement (https://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=198194)

Jonas@Balls2TheWall 09-06-2010 08:22 PM

Herpstat temps and probe placement

What temp do you guys keep your herpstats that are running your flexwatt? I have the probe directly on one of the heat tapes and the tubs lay on top of the tape. What temp do you like to keep the warm side of your tubs on? I have a raytek thermometer on the way to get the best readings possible.

Jonas@Balls2TheWall 09-07-2010 09:01 PM

Anyone care to share how they do it???

m00kfu 09-07-2010 10:03 PM

The way I set it up is to put the probe directly on the flexwatt, let it run for an hour or so and then hit the inside of the tub with a temp gun. Adjust the Herpstat temp accordingly, wait an hour then check the tub temperature again. Repeat until you get it dialed in to where you want it.

Jonas@Balls2TheWall 09-07-2010 10:41 PM

Thats what I was doing except with a cheap thermometer. Im still aiting for my raytek to be shipped. What temp do you like to keep your warm side at?

m00kfu 09-08-2010 10:01 AM

I usually shoot for 88-90.

Casey Hulse 09-08-2010 10:08 AM

What type of reptile do you keep? I tape the probe to the flexwatt, and adjust up in small amounts until the temperature in the tub is where I want it. For my BPs I shoot or 90-92 hotspot, warmer for babies and cooler for adults.

Jonas@Balls2TheWall 09-08-2010 12:34 PM

Thanks for the replies all. I keep bp's and I have the heat tape at 94 and I think the substrate inside is at around 90 91 but I can't be sure until I get a more accurate thermo. I don't trust the cheap little flukers I have right now.

Balls Deep Reptiles 09-10-2010 12:41 PM

I am wondering the same thing? I have the probe on the heat tape and set the herpstat at 92 but my accurite reads 86 on the tape and my tub temps are around 84. If I turn the temps up all my balls and boas move to the front of there tubs to keep cooler. Should I turn up the temps?

gsrept 09-10-2010 06:12 PM

I tape temp probes about an inch away from tape gives me most accurate reading. and your tub should never be into the 90s especially in a small space not a lot of space to get away from the heat. Remember in the wild they have a lot of choices best to keep tub at optimum temp with a hot spot just above if you can its tough to do with baby racks especially thats why i use back heat on all my racks and heat my whole room.

koldbloodedkrazy 09-10-2010 09:22 PM

We do the same as gsrept, although I use belly heat. This is how we keep our Ball Pythons. The probe about 1 inch above the heat tape. I tape down the outside probe of an inside / outside thermometer (with the high / low memory, checked almost daily) inside the control tub (an empty tub dedicated to just minitoring temps) and use the thermometer and a temp gun to monitor it for two or three days. The high / low thermometer is a great way to see where the temps are hitting at the hottest and coldest parts of the day. I shoot for 84/86 degrees at the back of 41Qt tubs and heat the room to 80.