FaunaClassifieds

FaunaClassifieds (https://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/index.php)
-   Hognose Snakes Discussion Forum (https://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=471)
-   -   Western hog cage in basement (https://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=626335)

kalel5011 07-14-2017 08:56 PM

Western hog cage in basement

Hey team, I'm wanting to get my setup for a hog in my basement. Any tips or suggestions? I've got substrate and hides. I've kept hogs before, but I was in Texas and the climate was better. I'm in Illinois now. If I could keep him upstairs, I wouldn't post.

If you're doing it successfully, it would be wonderful for you to share!
Thanks everyone,! https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...ee3c88cf32.jpg

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Dyscophus antongilii 07-14-2017 09:44 PM

I am thinking that I am missing various key components of information. Since, it looks like you have a finished basement. So, I would assume the only difference might be the need for a dehumidifier in the basement.

kalel5011 07-14-2017 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dyscophus antongilii (Post 2014249)
I am thinking that I am missing various key components of information. Since, it looks like you have a finished basement. So, I would assume the only difference might be the need for a dehumidifier in the basement.

I do, yes. Just wondered if anyone else had thoughts. Coming from Texas, we don't have basements as prevalent. Humidity sits around 50%.

Magic 07-15-2017 05:54 AM

Baby, juvenile, sub adult, adult??

What size is that tank?
What are your plans for heat and viewing light? What about substrate?

Give us some parameters and we can help lots more. :)

kalel5011 07-15-2017 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Magic (Post 2014309)
Baby, juvenile, sub adult, adult??

What size is that tank?
What are your plans for heat and viewing light? What about substrate?

Give us some parameters and we can help lots more. :)

Sub adult
Heat was going to use UTH and a led light.
Starting substrate is going to be worn bedding.
I think the tank is 20 long.

kalel5011 07-15-2017 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kalel5011 (Post 2014354)
Sub adult
Heat was going to use UTH and a led light.
Starting substrate is going to be worn bedding.
I think the tank is 20 long.

Aspen bedding

codie 07-15-2017 10:07 PM

Because there are uncommon and isolated populations in Illinois, plains hognose snakes are a protected species there and cannot be legally kept as captives. Weird law, I know. Who would make the extreme effort of searching for and collecting a native Illinois snake with all the possible attendant problems associated with a wild caught specimen when an indistinguishable individual can be acquired so easily and cheaply as a captive born and bred? But apparently this is what the state of Illinois suspects will happen. I'm not judging you. I just thought you should know the facts.

kalel5011 07-15-2017 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by codie (Post 2014474)
Because there are uncommon and isolated populations in Illinois, plains hognose snakes are a protected species there and cannot be legally kept as captives. Weird law, I know. Who would make the extreme effort of searching for and collecting a native Illinois snake with all the possible attendant problems associated with a wild caught specimen when an indistinguishable individual can be acquired so easily and cheaply as a captive born and bred? But apparently this is what the state of Illinois suspects will happen. I'm not judging you. I just thought you should know the facts.

You require a special permit from the department of natural resources to own western hognoses. I appreciate your response. I'm not sure what you're not judging me on. You should add the special permit piece to your statement for future education. If you know anyone who wants it, have them get in contact with Scott ballard.

codie 07-15-2017 11:17 PM

Sorry,
You're obviously much more informed about the regulations than I am. When I read your post, I (wrongfully) assumed that as a new resident of Illinois that you were unaware or the status of hognoses in the state. Please forgive my ignorance