FaunaClassifieds

FaunaClassifieds (https://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/index.php)
-   Geckos Discussion Forum (https://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   My First Leopard Gecko *help & info needed* (https://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71589)

Tears_and_Fangs 09-04-2005 10:53 AM

My First Leopard Gecko *help & info needed*

Well yesterday me and the boyfriend went to this large new petshop weve never been to before. They had all kinds of furries,fish, and my and your favorite...reptiles. Well he got an Iguana (which he's been wanting for awhile, and named it "Ozzy" after Ozzy Osbourne x.x) ...But anyways, I was looking around first I spotted this cuban night anole...I could afford it, but it was kinda creepy and didn't look to friendly, in my opinion. But then I saw them...Leopard Geckos, and I could afford one!! w00t! So anyways I got one and named him "Spike". :hehe:

Heres what he looks like...(just not as big) I'll post some pics up of mine later, my cam is dead right now.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...20Gecko203.jpg

Anyways, if you could give me a little info on em' it would be appreciated. Or perhaps a good care page you could point me too...

Thanks! :)

saltwaterreptiles 09-04-2005 11:21 AM

Congrats on getting your new leo.

And kudos for trying to get all the information you can now, but, I am a firm believer that a person should know everything they need to know about an animal BEFORE they buy them, not after. I don't know what your situation is so I won't make and assumptions in regards to you and what you have done for your leo, but I have seen situations where a person bought a leo, brought it home and put it in a tank with fish gravel and no heater or hides and after they read up on what a leo needed had to scramble to get everything together....

Now, to answer your question, there are a TON of good care sheets out there, just go to google and type leopard gecko caresheets and you'll be amazed. One of the very best ones I found when I was looking at buying my first gecko was http://www.drgecko.com

Tears_and_Fangs 09-04-2005 11:34 AM

Thank you very much saltwaterreptiles! =D
I agree about what you said when people should know about an animal before you buy it. I know enough to take care of him...like his diet,heating,habitat, and he has plenty hides. I was just looking for additional info. about them people could give me who has experience with em'. Like...ya know....handling...hom much they eat (but I always keep edibles in there for him,lol) etc.

BTW, is flourescent light good for leopard geckos? He seems to be alright with it, but I need to know to be sure if its good for him.

saltwaterreptiles 09-04-2005 11:56 AM

Not a problem!

Ok... the couple of specific questions you asked there, in regards to handling, I kinda let the gecko dictate that. I have some that seem to like it, some that tolerate it and some that are just downright adverse to it. Its ok to want to handle your leo cause hey, they are pretty awesome little critters, just don't force it. Start by just putting your hand in front of him, let him sniff and investigate, maybe then try putting your hand flat in front of him, see if he will crawl over it. Once he is used to your hand and scent he should be ok to handle from time to time. Just keep in mind, leos are primarlly display animals and liken thier privacy ( for the most part, there are exceptions to every rule)

As for how much they will eat, with crickets I put a bunch in and let them eat all they can in say 20 minutes or so, if they eat them all I put in a couple of more just to see. Whatever they DON'T eat in regards to crickets take back out. Crickets are vile nasty evil critters who will nip and bite your leo as he tries to sleep... plus, once they are in there for a while they lose the gutload and your gecko ends up eating basically an empty tank! Mealies are great to leave in in a dish, though from time to time you might want to move all the stuff in the tank cause they will get out and wiggle around.

I don't see a problem with flourescent lighting, I have it on a couple of my tanks. Just make sure you are turning it off at night and giving them a good day to night cycle.

Tears_and_Fangs 09-04-2005 01:01 PM

Once again, Thank you so so much! =D

Handling: I dont have a problem handling my leo, I just reach in and pick him up. It looks as if he dont mind at all, I guess its good to start handling them at a young age.

Food: I have'nt seen him eat yet. I have some crickets and small grasshopers in there (the pet store said they like other insects) when he's ready to eat though. I suppose he's still settling in his new home right now.

Flourescent Lighting: This was my main concern with him. I'm glad you cleared that up for me.

Thanks Again!!

saltwaterreptiles 09-04-2005 01:13 PM

One last thing, I notice you mention grasshoppers? I assume these are ones you caught yourself? If they are you might want to be careful with that, as in, try not to do it at all. Insects from the wild could be carrying ANYTHING with them, imagine the amount of dog poop and other such stuff they have been crawling through, but of greater concern in pesticides, many people use them on thier lawns and if you are anywhere within a 10-20 mile range of a farm its a concern, those things carry quite far from the source!

Tears_and_Fangs 09-04-2005 01:24 PM

Ah okay, I'm gonna get my mom to get me some some crickets from the bait store. ^_^

Milwaukee Reptiles 09-04-2005 01:44 PM

Here's a few more care sheets... that should keep you busy for a while!

Care Sheets:<hr> And a site of links of all things leopard gecko:
http://www.milwaukeereptiles.com/leopardGeckoCare.php

saltwaterreptiles 09-04-2005 01:58 PM

BOOYAH... care sheet overload! lol

Tears_and_Fangs 09-04-2005 02:01 PM

A few?! LOL thanks that is sure to keep me busy!!