FaunaClassifieds

FaunaClassifieds (https://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Herp Talk (https://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=609)
-   -   What herps have bitten you? (https://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102359)

romad119 08-04-2007 09:15 AM

What herps have bitten you?

Some people seem to be more prone then others to get bit. For example, my friend will get bit by things that have never bitten anyone else before. My list is relatively short with no plans to add to it. The snakes might not agree with that.

Northern Water snake as a kid
Brazilian Rainbow
SD Gopher Snake
Woma
Cuban Boa

Bonus feature:
Yellow Monitor with bonus 'death roll' feature adding in

I'm willing to guess there are some who are approaching 50 species or more?

fuscusking13 08-04-2007 11:49 AM

Here is what I have been biten by:

Spiny Tailed Iguana
Retic
Afrock
Burm
Ball
Cali King
Braz Rainbow(on the lip lol)
Aussie Water Python
Black Rat snake as a kid(tried to ride my bike home while holding him).

The Retic and rock were recent, and completely my fault, as were all the others. I could have avoided the retic by using a hook, the rock by not smelling like rats, the king and ball by moving(but who cares, they dont hurt that much) but the burm and aussie were unexpected and fairly unavoideable given the situation. That iguana packed a punch though lol. Dan M.

Clay Davenport 08-04-2007 12:04 PM

Well off the top of my head, here's my list, although I am certain I'll miss several species I haven't kept in years.

Common boa
Woma
Jungle Carpet
Irian Jaya carpet
Ball python
Green Tree python
Hog Island boa
Radiated ratsnake
Blue Beauty
Taiwan beauty
corn snake
cal king
Hognose
South Florida king
Gray ratsnake
Hatchlings of numerous colubrid species, but those don't count

Those are what comes to mind easily, but I've kept almost 50 different species and been bitten by at least half of them so I am definitely forgetting several.
I still consider myself quite adept at avoiding bites though, I just get struck at a lot and the odds catch up with me periodically.

IloveSnakes1234 08-04-2007 12:18 PM

I haven't been bitten alot... But I have been bitten by a:
Corn snake
baby ball python
garter snake
and a dumeril's boa.
I want to be bitten more...

romad119 08-04-2007 12:20 PM

I do prefer the 'strike and release' to the 'chomp and chew' types.

romad119 08-04-2007 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IloveSnakes1234
I want to be bitten more...

Oh really? For a small fee...

IloveSnakes1234 08-04-2007 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by romad119
Oh really? For a small fee...

uh, fee? what fee?

Keith Northrop 08-04-2007 12:40 PM

Come See my Bone......

3 Attachment(s)
To Bone or Not to Bone.....That is the Question.....I started by listing herps that have bitten me, and quickly decided it would be easier to list that which
has not bitten me.....Just this week alone I got chomped by a B&W Cal King, and a Texas Ornate Box Turtle? What?.....Dude How do get bit by a Ornate Box Turtle.....Simple ...you put your finger over by his mouth and say"Look, See, he doesn't bite!...... Chomp!!! Ok.Ok.....Now I know your wondering about the Finger? That my Friend is the Work of a 2.5 ft
WesternDiamondBack....I get to keep my finger......But now I don't know if I want it.....HaHa.....Last Month I removed this from my finger???? Believe it or Not! It finally healed up. Is that my Knuckle Bone or What? I thought it was a
piece if Tendon?????? 2 hours later Wha La.....I pulled that from my finger....Know my figer feels like a million Knuck....... :dgrin:

Clay Davenport 08-04-2007 01:22 PM

Oh well, add Bredli to my list.
And to think as I was typing my list I was thinking how nice the bredli had been all these months, never offering to strike, all around docile, especially for a member of the morelia group.
10 minutes later that feeling ended......... :mah:

chondrogal 08-04-2007 06:58 PM

Chow (worst bite), American Eskimo (to face required stitches), Poodle, Lhasa, Rottie, Chihuahua, Min Pin, Cocker Spaniel, Husky, Schnauzer, Westie, Cairn, Samoyed, several cats......... California Sea Lion (big ouch), horse, donkey, duck (on the lip) .... all work related.

Western Fence lizard, cali kings, gopher snakes, coachwhips... all w/c during hiking/play days, catch and release.

Diamond pythons, and green tree pythons so many times that I don't even care about getting bit anymore. Just finished working with a baby that tagged and chewed multiple times!

After all the blood these critters have drawn, I'd take them all 10 times over again instead of that ONE bite of Keiths!! I have worked with lots of rattlers locally, but have never given one the chance to get that close!!