FaunaClassifieds

FaunaClassifieds (https://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/index.php)
-   Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum (https://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=124)
-   -   Suggestions please (https://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97679)

a1littlesister 03-22-2007 08:25 PM

Suggestions please

Now that summer is getting closer I would like to know what is something safe to put my dragons in to let them outside for a few hrs. of natural sun. I know I can't use their glass cage and I will not leave them unattended because I have to put them in the front yard. I have dogs in the back that would love to have a dragon snack. And what ever it is I'll need 2 of them. I can not put Abbott and Costello together now that they have been separated. To have gotten along so well for so long then overnight hate eachother...I can take one out and just walk past the others cage and get the puffed up reaction. Any suggestions on good containers would be a big help. Just want to keep them out while I work in the flower bed and stuff like that.
Thanks
Alexa

Cat_72 03-22-2007 08:29 PM

Those Reptariums are handy for taking them outside.....the mesh allows the sunlight in, but allows for air circulation.

You wouldn't need very large ones for just occasional time outside, and you can often get good deals on them on Ebay. Just make sure to put them somewhere they can have shade as well as sun, so they can still decide what temps they prefer.

monkeywrench133 03-22-2007 09:09 PM

What about a good size rubbermaid or sterilite tub? As long as it's walls are high enough to prevent them from climbing out, you wouldn't need to put the lid on, and they're cheap.

Cat_72 03-22-2007 09:19 PM

I thought about adding that.....but I'm just paranoid that a cat, or a hawk (we have lots of those around here) or some other critter could jump in there so quickly before I could stop them. I tend to be overprotective though, just ask my kids. ;)

fstop2100a 03-22-2007 09:33 PM

I bought those mess material and plastic tubes that snap together from LLC last summer and used them a lot. Now that I have so many I built a wood frame and covered it with vinyl screen. Home depot sells zippers in the tarp section that attach to the mesh. now I have a big 6 foot pen and the one from LLC reptile. The dragons spend the day outside all the time. I take them in at night.

Reptileking636 03-23-2007 02:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fstop2100a
I bought those mess material and plastic tubes that snap together from LLC last summer and used them a lot. Now that I have so many I built a wood frame and covered it with vinyl screen. Home depot sells zippers in the tarp section that attach to the mesh. now I have a big 6 foot pen and the one from LLC reptile. The dragons spend the day outside all the time. I take them in at night.

pics? :yesnod:

a1littlesister 03-23-2007 05:15 PM

thanks so much for all the suggestions....I do have some black mesh and lots of pvc since we do home improvements...maybe I could turn a rubbermad tub on side for shade glue the mesh and make a small area for them to get out in the sun in...but I would put a bottom on it also. Now the suggestions have me thinking. Thanks so much. I'll check into the Reptariums too I'm not sure I have seen those. Its good to have a place with active minds to help a new owner...lol.

Drache613 03-24-2007 12:14 AM

Hello

Hello,

Definitely have a top on whatever you are going to do because as already mentioned, hawks or large birds or cats can get your dragons!
Also, make sure that they are out of reach of any type of ants that could sting them too.
Good luck.

Tracie

a1littlesister 03-24-2007 09:15 AM

Wow....hawks and things like that I thought about but thanks for the mention of ants...I didn't think of the critters on the ground. I'll have to check my yard when the weather gets warmer where they can go out. I'm not sure if I have an ant problem or not or other crawlies that might sting them.

puppytoes72 03-24-2007 10:59 AM

i have a 65 gallon reptarium from petsmart that was $70 but you can get a smaller/cheaper one.