FaunaClassifieds

FaunaClassifieds (https://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/index.php)
-   Geckos Discussion Forum (https://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   grapefruit seed extract , wormwood , parazap ? (https://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54341)

robin d. 10-26-2004 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by LadyGecko

Does anyone have any scientific literature in reguard to the flora and fauna that are present in the mid digestive area of reptiles as there is a great difference as to what is present in many animals in the mouth the gut and the vent areas ?

Sandy

thats a good question i asked kelli to look through stevens papers and stuff and ask him if he has any data on that stuff.

thank you olivia. i know that amonia kills cocidia on surfaces BUTYOU HAVE TO BE VERY CAREFUL when using it to rinse extremely well AND let the enclosure air out (because it will kill your geckos if not used correctly and rinsed well and aired out). but enclosures will have to be cleaned constantly to avoid re-contamination. make everything as possible disposable. water and food dishes hides substrate ect. i would also suggestion feeding them and cleaning them last... get your other leos checked as well and use laytex gloves in between the feeding and cleaning and handling of each animal

groovygeckos 10-26-2004 12:31 PM

how about

rubbing alcohol ? nolvasan ? i have kept all leos and fat-tails quaranteened , and have maintained each group seperately just in case any of them had anything ! infected gex are the ones i have had the longest and are oldest(besides my year old PA`s ) had planned on having each one checked , as they grow older OR if ive seen any problems ,since i could not afford $65 dollars for each one (office visit and fecal) all at the same time ! poor guy would be with me ALL DAY for that visit ! i do plan on getting a scope ,"understanding reptile parasites" book and learn to check myself to save on office visits !! would you think ,or have found ANY vet that would not charge per visit per gecko ,for 20 + animals ????????????

Xelda 10-26-2004 01:21 PM

Dan, some vets will let you drop a stool sample off without having to come in for a visit. And then some vets will include the fecal test with the price of the visit ($25-$30). If you're paying $40+ for a visit or more than $10 for a fecal, you're being ripped off. I do recommend having follow-up tests done on your infected leos just to make sure you got rid of the coccidia.

Neither Nolvasan, rubbing alcohol, nor full-strength chlorine is able to kill the coccidian parasites (including crypto). Only ammonia is, which is why some serious herpers alternate between Roccal-D and bleach between cleaning sessions. Coccidia is actually not that bad as long as you keep the upper hand. Just cleaning the tank once or twice a day will help reduce the numbers. You want to prevent your leos from re-infecting themselves because it's not good for them to be on Albon for too long.

groovygeckos 10-26-2004 01:40 PM

ouch !

$45 (visit) $20.50 (fecal) im pissed lol

Xelda 10-26-2004 01:53 PM

Yeah, that's a bit steep. :erm:

You might want to check herpvetconnection.com and anapsid.org/vets for herp vets. The ARAV also keeps a list of vets, but some regular cat-dog vets get themselves registered just for the publicity even though they haven't had any specialized training for herps.

If you still can't find any vets, I do know some people in the Chicago area who have a couple of names to recommend, but I'll have to look them up.

groovygeckos 10-26-2004 01:55 PM

wow has been 8 years at least

since my last vet visits with herps , guess i should have shopped around some ! not that there are many herpvets in chicago ,BUT STILL

groovygeckos 10-26-2004 03:23 PM

thanx

much appreciated ! this vets name is on those lists , just a bit high in price !

groovygeckos 10-26-2004 03:26 PM

was a bit shy to ask

if he can check a large collection for less , or does work from his home or something (wish i had ) :(

robin d. 10-26-2004 07:02 PM

even if you had your own scope and read that book you have to understand there are seceral different strains of cocidia.... just because you can do a fecal doesnt mean you can diagnose an animal. i have had the plesure (LOL) of viewing some fecals pin worm eggs ar about the easiest thing to see but cocidia and other things look so similar even with the pictures next to you, it hardly qualifies to diagnose you own animal. and treat it... sometimes to see partial bug parts and sometimes they can get confused with something else.
but just because you get or have a scope and book, doesnt mean squat sometimes it is even hard for the vets to figure out.... the person i knew that used the scope was only for checking for pins... it takes a trained eye or some training to know what you are doing and do you plan on using a fecal smear or float?
amonia is the only thing i know of that kills cocidia 10% amonia to be exact.... and what you buy off the shelf is 10% amonia... so to kill those nastey boogers you would have to use straight amonia (yuck) and rinse VERY well and air out very well. the fumes alone could kill a leo.
bleach nor alcohol kills the cocidia... i dont think novlsan does possiblby quatricide and maybe rocal but i dont even think those do.

groovygeckos 10-26-2004 09:54 PM

qualifies to diagnose you own animal. and treat it... well i said "LEARN TO DO IT" obviously will NOT learn that overnight , and would still continue to use a vet to double check my findings and help myself to learn ............................................just because you get or have a scope and book, doesnt mean sqat................. sure it means a whole helluva lot ! BIG difference between myself and a
so-called professional ...... I actually LOVE and care VERY much for MY own animals !!!. and i D&%$-sure will take the time to learn and I can do ANYTHING as well , if not better than anyone else .................................................. ............plan on using a fecal smear or float? > float...................................possiblby quatricide and maybe rocal but i dont even think those do.. actually if rocal-D wouldnt work , neither will ammonia !! Rocal is just a brand- name given to a Quaternary Ammonia Compound
................................this so-called professional P.O.S. . , registered herpetological veterinarian , did not even inform me i would need to completely sterilize their enclosures BEFORE re-introducing the gex , did not mention ammonia at all , actually said anti-bac soap !! most information i got out of him was " give meds and good sanitation " which is a very far cry from the NEEDED daily sterilization ! and he should tell ANYONE regardless their amount of experience , all of that information that alot of people dont even know ! i mean c`mon robin are you a spokesperson for veterinary medicine ?? IF i didnt know better than what he told me or didnt i would be treating them in vain , and he would get several overpriced office-visit charges (just like he was obviously hoping for) and my geckos could even die !!!! WHO IS THIS GOOD FOR ??? HIM !!!!!!!!! NOT MYSELF OR MY PRECIOUS BABIES