FaunaClassifieds

FaunaClassifieds (https://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/index.php)
-   USA State Specific Issues (https://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=615)
-   -   Florida state law issues (https://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22308)

Adamanteus 07-23-2003 12:25 AM

Florida state law issues

State Homepage - http://www.myflorida.com/

State Legislature - http://www.leg.state.fl.us/

State Statutes/Code - http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes

WebSlave 07-31-2003 01:01 AM

Concerning the Daytona Beach Expo

Just in case everyone interested did not get this email from Wayne Hill:

Quote:

To All Expo Vendors:
I have recently been contacted by Lt. Rick Brown of FL Wildlife Commission informing me of a new enforcement plan. This new plan will be implemented starting with the Breeders' Expo in August and continuing for all other shows in FL thereafter. The plan is that any non Florida resident who does not possess the proper permits at the show will no longer be issued a citation to appear in court, but will be taken to the county jail and offered the opportunity to post a $250 bail. This is in response to out of state vendors displaying reptiles without permits at numerous smaller shows around the state who, when cited to appear in court at at later date, do not show.
I will remind you that the application for a permit to sell and display reptiles in the State of FL is always included in the vendor's package. You must have the permit or a copy of it with you at the show since it is subject to inspection by agents of the FL Wildlife Commission. The Expo has been chosen to begin the new enforcement plan because so many herp vendors are present. Let's show the FL Wildlife Commission how professional our vendors are by having 100% compliance with the permitting rules.
Look forward to seeing you in 2 weeks.
Wayne Hill

brucestephenson 10-14-2003 11:21 PM

Tampa, Florida will try for REPTILE BAN TOMORROW, Wed. 10/15/03

The Hillsborough County Commission (Tampa) will discuss ways to ban reptiles and exotic pets tomorrow, Wednesday, October 15, 2003. The matter is scheduled to be brought up at 10:15 am. The ban was publicized only 24 hours prior as far as I know. This ban which is specific to stop the breeding and selling of exotic pets is being talked about as a template for the rest of Florida. It is designed by the Commission and various Humane Society, Animal Rescue, and County Animal Control Persons to circumvent the Florida State Permits that Reptile Persons and other exotic animal people hold. They will also require warning signs in your front yard and a public list of all the animals you own which will be gathered by and for the the government. The meeting will take place on the 2nd floor of County Center, 601 East Kennedy Blvd. in downtown Tampa. The exotic pet ban is scheduled to be discussed at 10:15 am; however, I would get there early in case in case they try to run it through quickly.
May God help the reptile people in Tampa, the rest of Florida, and rest of the country.

brucestephenson 10-15-2003 12:24 AM

County Email Form

You can e-mail the Hillsborough County Commissioners at www.hillsboroughcounty.org Thanks, Bruce Stephenson.

WebSlave 10-15-2003 12:35 AM

ALERT!! Hillsborough County, Florida

Posted by Bruce Stephenson:
Quote:

The Hillsborough County Commission (Tampa) will discuss ways to ban reptiles and exotic pets tomorrow, Wednesday, October 15, 2003. The matter is scheduled to be brought up at 10:15 am. The ban was publicized only 24 hours prior as far as I know. This ban which is specific to stop the breeding and selling of exotic pets is being talked about as a template for the rest of Florida. It is designed by the Commission and various Humane Society, Animal Rescue, and County Animal Control Persons to circumvent the Florida State Permits that Reptile Persons and other exotic animal people hold. They will also require warning signs in your front yard and a public list of all the animals you own which will be gathered by and for the the government. The meeting will take place on the 2nd floor of County Center, 601 East Kennedy Blvd. in downtown Tampa. The exotic pet ban is scheduled to be discussed at 10:15 am; however, I would get there early in case in case they try to run it through quickly.
May God help the reptile people in Tampa, the rest of Florida, and rest of the country.
Quote:

You can e-mail the Hillsborough County Commissioners at www.hillsboroughcounty.org Thanks, Bruce Stephenson.

Axe 10-15-2003 12:14 PM

Not that I doubt your word WebSlave :), but has anybody seen a news article anywhere on this?

brucestephenson 10-15-2003 12:30 PM

Today is Wed, 15 Oct 2003

Today is Wed, 15 Oct 2003

A database that keeps track of exotic animals is a possibility in Hillsborough County Tuesday, October 14th

Are there any large felines in your neighborhood?
Aurora the tiger currently resides at the WildLife on East Street sanctuary in Tampa.

Believe it or not, the impressive feline was once the pet of a Bay area resident. Scott Lope, one of the managers at the sanctuary, says having a cat as large as Aurora as a pet is not as unusual as you might think.

"I think it would surprise some people to know that they have tigers or cougars living next door," Lope said.

Hillsborough Board of County Commissioners
Click here to access their web site.
Hillsborough County Commissioners are considering ways to regulate wild and exotic pets in their communities. Bill Armstrong, Hillsborough's Animal Services Director says he's concerned about the danger that these animals can pose to their owners and neighbors.

Lope says more needs to be done to regulate the sale of exotic pets.
"We're dealing with a different level of potential danger in the community other than just your average dog or cat," Armstrong said.

Because the Florida Fish and Wildlife Commission has exclusive jurisdiction over setting rules for wildlife, he is exploring other ways to regulate exotic pets.

One possibility would require their owners to post signs. There could also be some tinkering of local zoning laws to regulate pet containers such as cages. The County Commission has been discussing the possibility of compiling a public database to keep track of exotic pets.

It would be a great way for emergency responders to locate areas where the animals live so they are no what they are getting themselves into before they respond to a call.

Lope says unfortunately is would be virtually impossible to keep track of all exotic pet owners in Hillsborough County. He does offer a solution suggesting that the county keep track of people who breed wild animals in order to sell them.

"The people putting these animals out there, the need to be held liable for the animals they create," Lope said. "The animals [usually] wind up in the wrong hands, unqualified hands."

Hillsborough is considering a number of proposals.
In any case, Lope and Armstrong agree that something needs to be done to keep just anyone from acquiring an exotic animal. When it comes to regulating such things as pet ownership, officials with animal services say it's a balancing act between the rights of the individual owner and public safety.

Armstrong is optimistic that the county can find a happy medium.

"It's going to be a challenge," he said. "We need to protect the privacy of [the owners] and at the same time look out for the welfare of all the citizens."

That's a notion that might even receive a roar of approval from Aurora.

Story Synopsis
E-Mail to a friend
Watch On-line
High Speed|Dial-up
High Speed|Dial-up

Want to win tickets to the Rockettes' performance in Tampa? Click here to enter our contest.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

News from Beyond the Bay

Keep up with the latest national and international news from CNN.com.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

$10 Off 1/2 Hr. Massage or $20 off any service over $55

Bay News 9 en español 24-Hour Spanish News & Weather.

Become a Bay News 9 Traffic Watcher! Click here to request more information.

©2003 Bay News 9
A Bright House Networks exclusive

A database that keeps track of exotic animals is a possibility in Hillsborough County Tuesday, October 14th

Are there any large felines in your neighborhood?
Aurora the tiger currently resides at the WildLife on East Street sanctuary in Tampa.

Believe it or not, the impressive feline was once the pet of a Bay area resident. Scott Lope, one of the managers at the sanctuary, says having a cat as large as Aurora as a pet is not as unusual as you might think.

"I think it would surprise some people to know that they have tigers or cougars living next door," Lope said.

Hillsborough Board of County Commissioners
Click here to access their web site.
Hillsborough County Commissioners are considering ways to regulate wild and exotic pets in their communities. Bill Armstrong, Hillsborough's Animal Services Director says he's concerned about the danger that these animals can pose to their owners and neighbors.

Lope says more needs to be done to regulate the sale of exotic pets.
"We're dealing with a different level of potential danger in the community other than just your average dog or cat," Armstrong said.

Because the Florida Fish and Wildlife Commission has exclusive jurisdiction over setting rules for wildlife, he is exploring other ways to regulate exotic pets.

One possibility would require their owners to post signs. There could also be some tinkering of local zoning laws to regulate pet containers such as cages. The County Commission has been discussing the possibility of compiling a public database to keep track of exotic pets.

It would be a great way for emergency responders to locate areas where the animals live so they are no what they are getting themselves into before they respond to a call.

Lope says unfortunately is would be virtually impossible to keep track of all exotic pet owners in Hillsborough County. He does offer a solution suggesting that the county keep track of people who breed wild animals in order to sell them.

"The people putting these animals out there, the need to be held liable for the animals they create," Lope said. "The animals [usually] wind up in the wrong hands, unqualified hands."

Hillsborough is considering a number of proposals.
In any case, Lope and Armstrong agree that something needs to be done to keep just anyone from acquiring an exotic animal. When it comes to regulating such things as pet ownership, officials with animal services say it's a balancing act between the rights of the individual owner and public safety.

Armstrong is optimistic that the county can find a happy medium.

"It's going to be a challenge," he said. "We need to protect the privacy of [the owners] and at the same time look out for the welfare of all the citizens."

That's a notion that might even receive a roar of approval from Aurora.

Story Synopsis
E-Mail to a friend
Watch On-line
High Speed|Dial-up
High Speed|Dial-up

Want to win tickets to the Rockettes' performance in Tampa? Click here to enter our contest.

News from Beyond the Bay

Keep up with the latest national and international news from CNN.com.

$10 Off 1/2 Hr. Massage or $20 off any service over $55

Bay News 9 en español 24-Hour Spanish News & Weather.

Become a Bay News 9 Traffic Watcher! Click here to request more information.

©2003 Bay News 9
A Bright House Networks exclusive

WebSlave 10-15-2003 12:35 PM

Hillsborough County Commission Agenda for October 15th

Check on page 14.

Of course it is over and done with by now, I would assume.

brucestephenson 10-15-2003 12:37 PM

Please scroll down on my prior post to read the article. Sorry, I am on a learning curve with computers. I am a stone age person at the age of 43. Bruce Stephenson.

Axe 10-15-2003 12:41 PM

hehe No problem, we're all still learning something about something, so you'll pick it all up in no time :)

Would you happen to have the URL handy for the originally published article at Bay News 9's site?

bpc 10-15-2003 01:08 PM

Get involved folks.

I just finished a letter to the commissioners. I was sure to include the facts that I am a public school teacher in FL, and a member of the board of directors for the Central FL Herpetological Society. We need to make sure we let these people know that any such ban, will effect thousands of their constituents not just a few "weirdos" who don't vote anyway.

If you do decide to become involved DO NOT berate these people. Educate, involve, and interest them. Nothing hurts our cause more than emails full of curse words telling them how stupid they are. Let your leaders know that your right to keep reptiles is just as important you, as someone elses right to keep a dog or cat.

Bci Joe 10-15-2003 01:45 PM

Great start Brian - where can we send correspondence? thanks, Joe Rollo

'soon i'll have to register and license and vaccinate and warn the whole neighborhood about my goldfish!'

brucestephenson 10-15-2003 07:43 PM

Here is the URL for the article: http://www.baynews9.com/site/NewsSto...?storyid=26132

John, Thank you for your interest. Bruce Stephenson

brucestephenson 10-15-2003 08:31 PM

Plan to Ban Reptiles in ALL OF FLORIDA IS REVEALED BY COUNTY ATTORNEY

A friend who is a very long time, nationally known reptile dealer and breeder spoke to the Hillsborough County Attorney by phone today 10/15/03. The County Attorney said that while the State of Florida Fish and Wildlife Commission had constitutional authority over wildlife that this is a limitation on all the Counties in Florida's abilities to impose Countywide bans on exotic pets.
Therefore the Hillsborough County Attorney was going to start contacting all the other County Attorneys in Florida to find a method of removing the Florida Fish and Wildlife Commission's Authority over the regulation of exotic pets.
After seizing this authority by a statewide vote to change the Constitution, or some other legal manuever, all the counties and cities in Florida could then ban all exotic pets and issue their own permits, licenses, and regulations.
I have doubly questioned my friend and he has assured me that this interview took place and is truthful. I leave it for everyone to decide for themselves, as he did not wish his name to be published at this time.

brucestephenson 10-16-2003 09:54 AM

As soon as I hear of an outcome of the Hillsborough County Commission meeting to ban reptiles and exotic pets, I will put it here on the BOI.
It is extremely interesting to note that on that day 10/15/03, The television stations began contacting various reptile breeders and dealers to get TV interviews on what they thought of the upcoming ban. Most, like myself, were stuck at work because of the lack of notice about the ban. However, I promise to gather in-depth information and provide it to everyone here.
Thank You ALL for your help and interest, Bruce Stephenson

brucestephenson 10-16-2003 07:21 PM

Here is the URL for an article on the Hillsborough County Commission meeting to Ban Exotic Pets of 10/15/03.
Please SCROLL DOWN TO THE LAST 5 PARAGRAPHS.
Thanks! Bruce.
http://tampatrib.com/floridametronews/MGAZXEX5ULD.html

brucestephenson 10-16-2003 07:32 PM

And here is the URL for the previous article so you can keep a clearer and closer reference as to what is going on. Bruce.
http://www.baynews9.com/site/NewsSto...?storyid=26132

brucestephenson 10-16-2003 09:33 PM

THE ONE PERSON WHO MAY CAUSE REPTILES TO BE BANNED IN FL, MAYBE ALL U.S.

Here is the sick and sad story of Russ Anderson who lived in a mobile home with his wife, four children, and at least 26 venomous snakes, when he was bitten 6 times by his ten foot black mamba:
http://www.abcactionnews.com/stories...20snakes.shtml

http://www.abcactionnews.com/stories...nakebite.shtml

http://www.sptimes.com/2003/08/19/Hi..._snake_s.shtml

Ken Harbart 10-16-2003 10:39 PM

I might be jumping the gun since we don't know the full story about the mamba envenomation, but I have to respectfully disagree with both the assertion that this will result in both the banning of herps in FL and the insinuation that Mr Anderson is grossly irresponsible.

1) What would lead you to think that this event will result in the banning of herps? This isn't exactly the first time that a person has been envenomated by a captive snake. Is there something special about this case that makes it different from all the rest?

2) From the article, it appears that Mr Anderson has a Venomous Reptile License. To obtain this license, he had to show 1,000 hours of hands-on experience with venomous reptiles, have at least two references, and be inspected by Florida Fish & Wildlife Conservation Commission. From this, it could be a reasonable assumption that his enclosures and snake room met, at the very least, the state requirements.

3) If the state requirements for housing venomous reptiles were met, then there was no danger to his wife and children. Also, having children doesn't necessarily preclude one from responsibly keeping hots.

brucestephenson 10-16-2003 10:59 PM

Ken, I acknowledge the points you've made.
However, I have some reasoning behind my statement. I have some disturbing news. Mr. Anderson has claimed to a friend of mine and his that he has filmed two documenteries recently.
They are reenactments filmed by National Geographic, and one for Animal Planet.
My friend claims that Mr. Anderson stated that he swallowed some powerful prescription drugs for the documenteries to duplicate the medication he was on at the time of the mamba feeding.
What treatment will these shows give to their narrations?
Will there be a state or national backlash?
We can only hope for the best. And I hope that you are the one who is right. And I hope that my friend is completely mistaken.

Axe 10-16-2003 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by brucestephenson
We can only hope for the best. And I hope that you are the one who is right. And I hope that my friend is completely mistaken.
Of course, this new plan relates to EXOTICS, not just hots, and not just any reptiles. The idiot who had a 425lb Siberian/Bengal Tiger mix & a 5ft Caimen in his apartment in Harlem might not put "exotics" keepers (regardless of species) in a good light either.

Many people get bitten by wild hots too, that doesn't mean the government wants to go on a scheme killing them all off, at least, not officially :)

Ken Harbart 10-17-2003 12:04 AM

Well, the detail of the medication certainly put a new spin on this, depending on the type of med and Mr Anderson's mental capacity when he was bitten.

As for any statewide or national backlash from this, I just don't see it happening, especially now that a couple months has passed since the incident.

brucestephenson 10-17-2003 12:21 AM

The part of the article in the Tampa Tribune which states "Commissioners (County) also directed staff to continue investigating ways to beef up restrictions on exotic animals that are kept as pets or attractions" has me greatly worried.
It seems to dovetail into my post about the County Attorney wanting to get with his counterparts.
Perhaps we can be optimistic, yet vigilant.

brucestephenson 10-17-2003 09:11 AM

Here is another interesting story that helps explain the anti-reptile ferver in Tampa:
http://www.abcactionnews.com/stories...nakebite.shtml

scottytohotty 10-19-2003 09:21 PM

Re: ALERT!! Hillsborough County, Florida

Quote:

Originally posted by WebSlave
Posted by Bruce Stephenson:
all these lies going on about my friend russ anderson being on prescription drugs when being bittin by his black mamba are exactly that lies!!!!! because bruse stevensons friend richard sullivan is feeding him lies ,and to write this stuff on the internet without getting the facts straight is irresponsable .

scottytohotty 10-19-2003 10:21 PM

lies

this is russell anderson , i am outraged that someone would say that i was on drugs . and for the same person to sugest that a well estblished and reratble tv station would ask someone to take drugs so they could do a program on snake bite is outrages and if bruce really had his facts straight i have not done national geografic yet. another thing the only i agreed to do the show in the first place was that they in now bash privit people from keeping exotic animals. that is in writing . and my atterny has copys . i had an acadent and that is all it was. i have more experance then most on mambas 15 years worth . so please befor you print lies like bruce did about the t.v. programs to drugs and the number of bites i took , cheak your facts dont go by the hearsay , you no me , my kids and wife are never in danger and i would allow the snake to kill me befor anyone else. i fallow the law to the letter . maybe you were to bussey tacking care of your pet turtels to notice all the fish and game personal were on my side . becuse i dont break laws like alot of other people do . i keep class 1 crocs and venomouse reptiles . one day i will have my own lab . and i say aging i will take a drug test for anyone at anytime . also i dont bash people on the computer or in person so just stay out of my and my familys lives . and dont print things that you hear on the street

thank you bruce , and thank everone that has stuck up for me when people who only now sperthighs try to make me look bad . when in fact this person must not now any better so stop the lies leave us alone "i will never stop keeping my crocs or venomous snakes"

thank you to all those who have suported me and my wife and kids . god bless you all and stand your ground alone we are powerless together thay cant stop us . so stop the name calling and start educating like i do with my fids . my 8 year old girl can tell you common and latin names for most rattlers power threw education.

sorry about my spelling
any questions dont be afraid to ask .
peace to all
russ anderson and familly

brucestephenson 10-20-2003 09:01 PM

Russ Anderson, I finished re-interviewing our mutual friend Richard tonight 10/20/03 at 07:00pm. I have known Richard for around 20 years and he is one of the few people I am quite sure has never lied to me. I am absolutely certain that what I wrote was exactly what Richard told me.
After Richard spoke to you last night, Richard now wishes for me, in the interest of fairness, to retract the portion on the BOI about when he stated to me that you had taken a powerful prescription drug for the documentaries to duplicate the medication you were on at the time of the bite.
Richard now states to me (quote): "I gave you the wrong information about Russ Anderson taking any medication for the reenactment."

brucestephenson 10-25-2003 02:09 AM

Some Results from the Hillsborough County Commission Meeting to Ban Reptiles + Exotic

I finally am getting some information in: Quote:

http://docs.hillsboroughcounty.org/r...0001/404/Recap 10-15 BOCC Regular Meeting.pdf

scroll down to page 6, STAFF REPORTS. apparently some guy named Bill Armstrong and members of the FWC are to prepare a report and present this report in January. I live in North FL and this is stupid. if hillsborough county passes this law, then it may well affect all of FL. There is a reptile expo scheduled for the Tampa area on Nov. 1st and 2nd, I cant go, but hopefully there will be a huge turnout and maybe a petition should be passed around fighting this proposed law

brucestephenson 10-25-2003 09:42 AM

Here is the complete URL for the minutes of the Hillsborough County Commission Meeting to Ban Reptiles and Exotic Pets: It should work now, scroll to the bottom of page 6 please:

http://docs.hillsboroughcounty.org/r...%20Meeting.pdf

brucestephenson 10-25-2003 11:43 PM

Here is another interesting article that helps to explain why Tampa wants to ban reptiles and exotics:

http://tampatrib.com/FloridaMetro/MGAC1SOUVKD.html

brucestephenson 10-26-2003 02:58 PM

Easy E-mail form for Hillsborough County Commissioners

Here is the URL where you can easily write an e-mail to all the Hillsborough County Commissioners:

http://www.hillsboroughcounty.org/mail/email.html

M n R-Reptile 11-09-2003 03:54 PM

My Letter to the Hillsbourough Authorities

You may be aware of this but there are very strict and correct regulations on exotic animal ownership in Florida already.
For example, to own a tiger there are requirements. These requirements are things such as
A minimum of 5 acres of property, a minimum of 8 foot fence all around that said property and caging requirements with doubkle safety doors, etc.
You also have to have 1,000 hours of experience, two letters of recomendation(that few people ever write), and an inspection of the future facilities. This is done with the classification of all wildlife. They range from Class 3(Monkeys and similar not dangerous(to lives) animals. Class II which is slightly more dangerous and CLASS I which is lions tigers, and bears, oh my, plus elephants, etc.
Florida Fish and Game is and has done a wonderful job of keeping these regulations in place and enforcing them. Many many more accidents would occur if these regulations were not in place. They have full jurisdiction and it should remain so. Why spend county tax dollars on something the state has willingly and shall keep willingly pay with their own money?
Use the county tax dollars for better uses such as improving schools, paying yourselves more, paying teachers more, etc.
The state regulates these animals and checks every detail before you can own one.
Banning smaller things such as pythons, boas, iguanas, etc is ridiculous as these are not dangerous to humans. If you compare statistics from government agencies not HUmane societies which are alwasy against any animal ownership and exagerate many many details to an extreme just to make this industry look bad you will see that Dogs of all kinds, and to make it juicier, exclude pitbulls, rottweilers, and dobermans, cause more fatalities and more casualties than these exotics. It is very similar to the salmonella banning by the FDA of baby turtles. If you compare the number of salmonella infections from chicken and other foods, it by far exceeds the recorded cases from baby turtles as an example. I believe the last statistic I read showed that salmonella from any reptile only accounted for half of a half percent in the overall picture.
Details are twisted and revferted to make certain organizations look like they have base on certain subjects when they are way off.
Our industry plays fair. We follow regulations of Fish and Wildlife departments, federal and state. We follow regs by USDA, FDA, CDC, and many more.
Please do not make it unfortunate and kill alot of peoples livelihood over one or two incidents in your area.
We bring many tax dollars when it comes to sales and the like. This is a billion dollar industry.
Not a flea market, cheap industry. We actually number in the millions of pet owners and breeders. This is excluding dogs, cats, brids and fish.After those industires are removed we have MANY MANY millions of people who are into our hobby and love.
Exotic animals have a place in every ones hearts and it is just not right or feasibly reasonable to ban exotics at all.
Even if the pets cannot be held or touched, these pets bring joy to their lives. They are also used worldwide in eduactional programs, tv documentaries on conservation and more.
You ban exotics and your removing people hearts right out of their body.
Please take this letter seriously and do not condone the entire industry because of a few bad apples.
Thank You.
Mike Barrera
M n R-Reptiles
Permitted by the Florida Fish and Game Commission.

brucestephenson 12-07-2003 09:39 AM

The Hillsborough County Commissioners will again try to ban reptiles and exotics at the January 2004 Hillsborough County Commission Meeting.
This ban will probably spread to the rest of Florida and then the rest of the U.S.
Here is a very easy e-mail form where you can send your comments to all of the Hillsborough County Commissioners:

http://www.hillsboroughcounty.org/mail/email.html

KNOBTAIL 12-13-2003 10:04 PM

Us Fish & Wildlife Undercover Scam

I just received an email from Lauren who runs the Reptile shows in So. Fla. and in it she mentions about vendors being approached to buy some Scarlet Kings. Apparently 3 vendors were interested and they were cited with summonses for attempting to purchase these snakes without knowing whether the seller had a permit! The sellers were undercover wildlife people.

Has anyone received any similar email from Lauren or could possibly elaborate as to who the 3 vendors were. JERRY TRESSER

Rob @ RK Reptiles 12-13-2003 10:29 PM

Jerry,

I did not receive the e-mail but if it did happen it would have been Florida Fish & Wildlife and not USF&W. In the State of Florida in order to sell reptiles a person or entity must have the Florida Class III license to exhibit or sell reptiles. Florida F&W have done this many times in the past at many different locations. I have had them try and sell me Venomous snakes only to be turned away when asked if they had the VR permit. It is not uncommon at all now a days for these types of stings to happen.

KNOBTAIL 12-13-2003 10:37 PM

ROB, the email did not specify other

than fish and game officers. In either case, if someone offers me a Leopard gecko , am I obligated in asking to see their permit? Do I have to ask them if they even have a permit?

Also, would it not hold true that who ever bought anything at the show today should have a permit prior to buying anything? What if I was only interested and did not commit to a purchase? Apparently they were waiting for the vendors after the 5pm closing and then gave them summonses outside of the motel. I am only speculating here, but this is a shame. JERRY

Rob @ RK Reptiles 12-14-2003 07:44 AM

Jerry,

The people purchasing animals as attendees don't have to see if the vendor has a permit to sell but a person that is a seller must verify that the person trying to sell to them does in fact have a permit. So if some little kid came up to you and wanted to sell you a leopard Gecko you could not (according to Florida FWS) buy that animal from him if he did not posses the Class III license. Technically in a case like that both the buyer and seller could get fined. It is a BS rule but that is part of the Licensing policy of this state.

John Apple 12-14-2003 08:28 AM

Being careful is a must in this hobby...remember operation slither ...well one of the undercover officers was in a wheelchair and he could walk[one of the people busted in the sting saw him walking at the station and another officer yelled that he was seen]
The point I am making is these 'official' are getting sneakier and sneakier so lets not give them a reason to justify thier jobs.

KNOBTAIL 12-14-2003 09:33 AM

JOHN, your advise is well taken,

Laurens show is a small show. It is remarkable that fish & wildlife would go through the trouble of attempting to entrap some of these vendors that way. If we were dealing with stolen herps or illegal herps I could understand, but this petty, unnecessary form of activity really got me thinking.

Can you imagine what would happen if in the future, anyone who would want to purchase a herp would have to have a permit BEFORE, they could buy it. That concept may not be to far off.

Very dissapointing when you go to a show and have to deal with these people who seem to spend alot of manpower trying to trap people who probably did not want the snake in the first place.
JERRY

KNOBTAIL 12-14-2003 09:39 AM

Just received from Lauren

hi guys
jason gave me permission to repeat his story so others can learn other wise I would not of said tell tales out of school

Snakes Unlimited Jason hood -- the undercover offered him some scarlet kings, Jason asked for his permit/license undercover replied no I don't have one. Jason said sorry i cant buy them from u but what i can do is if you give me the snakes for free i can give you $35 to buy your permit hence the bust

other 2 busted
susin tippie for a hedgehog
and her friend tom repyile vendor from out of state

Slithery Kisses- Lauren
I don t know who these people are, but I think if my memory serves me right the person Tom Repyle is from Wisc. and his business name is Canopy Creations (but I could be wrong). You draw your own conclusions from Laurens email. JERRY