FaunaClassifieds

FaunaClassifieds (https://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/index.php)
-   Kingsnakes & Milksnakes Discussion Forum (https://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=291)
-   -   Brooks King Snake Balled UP (https://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=693456)

mattwarbuckle 06-27-2019 11:29 AM

Brooks King Snake Balled UP

Hello! I'm new here, and I'm excited to join!

Last night, my Brooks King Snake balled itself up in the weirdest way, like it was squeezing its stomach. His head was out so he could keep watch, but he looked all kinked up and tightly balled, out in the open. I heated him up a bit and eventually he returned to "normal," searching around his room.

He ate just over a week ago, and had water and everything. I am concerned about him, obviously, and have no idea what this could be. I'm afraid for bad news :( But want to do what's right if he's sick. Please let me know if anyone has information? I appreciate this so much.

mattwarbuckle

mattwarbuckle 06-27-2019 11:48 AM

Wife took pics

2 Attachment(s)
Here, I have these pics, if it helps!

Socratic Monologue 06-27-2019 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mattwarbuckle (Post 2148727)
I heated him up a bit

Could you say a bit more about this part?

Typically snakes are offered a hot spot, and a cooler overall enclosure, so that they can thermoregulate as they desire. What is the temperature gradient in the enclosure?

AbsoluteApril 06-27-2019 01:46 PM

was he fed recently, right before this happened? It almost looks like he tried to constrict himself.
Is he okay now?

Socratic Monologue 06-27-2019 01:52 PM

That's a good point about a possible feeding issue.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mattwarbuckle (Post 2148727)
He ate just over a week ago

Given this, though, I wonder if the snake is actually crazy hungry -- feeding season is in full-on nutso mode in my rep room -- and found a wood shaving that smelled of rodent or something.

I've not kept getula, but some of my snakes would eat a brick if it smelled good to them, especially if it has been more than 5 days or so since they ate last.

mattwarbuckle 06-27-2019 02:01 PM

Thanks!

Thanks for all the replies!

He is acting alright now, and I am going to feed him in a few minutes. We just got back from being away, so I was a few days late.

He has a light on one side and a cooler area on the other side, so I turned it on at night instead of keeping it off like normal. A vet I called said to try that.

Thanks for your input. It felt to me like he ate a piece of bark or something and was squeezing it out. I'll be more diligent in the future about that! I am learning and not perfect at this, but he's well kept :) He's 4 and this is the first I've seen anything like this. I appreciate all your prompt replies, you've been a great help.

mattwarbuckle

Socratic Monologue 06-27-2019 02:36 PM

I'm glad he's looking better.

When I said this:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Socratic Monologue (Post 2148748)
I wonder if the snake is actually crazy hungry -- feeding season is in full-on nutso mode in my rep room -- and found a wood shaving that smelled of rodent or something.

I was thinking that the snake was constricting something strange (my snakes will constrict the hemostat if they miss the mouse I'm presenting). I don't think a snake can swallow a wood chip by itself. If something like that is swallowed because it is stuck to a rodent I don't know that any odd behavior would come from it.

Merely speculation on my part, though. The important thing is that all is well with the snake.

As an aside: I would not leave a visible light on 24/7. Animals need darkness to sleep. If you do find you need to provide heat during the night, an undertank heat pad is almost always better in every respect (power consumption, fire safety, ongoing costs for light bulb replacement, and providing darkness).

AbsoluteApril 06-27-2019 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Socratic Monologue (Post 2148748)
and found a wood shaving that smelled of rodent or something.

that's what I was thinking as well, bedding or even the snake itself, still had a mouse smell.

I'm glad he's doing okay now.

elena 06-27-2019 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mattwarbuckle (Post 2148751)
He has a light on one side and a cooler area on the other side, so I turned it on at night instead of keeping it off like normal.
mattwarbuckle

Stuart, do you have a way of accurately measuring and controlling the temperature? It's not enough to just have a light, you need to provide a specific temperature gradient.