FaunaClassifieds

FaunaClassifieds (https://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/index.php)
-   Field Collecting/Observing (https://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=459)
-   -   Herping in my soon to be new home in Hamilton Georgia (https://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91276)

Laura Fopiano 11-25-2006 08:22 PM

Herping in my soon to be new home in Hamilton Georgia

3 Attachment(s)
My big catch hehehe

Mike Greathouse 11-25-2006 08:46 PM

Laura,
How is it that you're ending up in Georgia?
It's one of the most backward states in regards to herpetological legislation.
If you're dead set on going there; hopefully you can help to enact some changes.
They definitely need some forward-thinking people like you.

Best of luck....

Laura Fopiano 11-25-2006 09:11 PM

Well, long story short, I can't move the country boy here, so the city girl is going there :eek: LOL I have heard about some of the laws and native species, but don't really know much more. Can you enlighten me??
I will be in contact with Brian Potter if some stuff needs to be changed. I also contacted BW Smith about joining a herp society out there.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Greathouse
Laura,
How is it that you're ending up in Georgia?
It's one of the most backward states in regards to herpetological legislation.
If you're dead set on going there; hopefully you can help to enact some changes.
They definitely need some forward-thinking people like you.

Best of luck....

Ginger Ambrose 11-25-2006 09:26 PM

I agree Mike, I too live in Ga. The herp laws need to be revamped badly.

Ginger Ambrose 11-25-2006 09:31 PM

Oh yeah, love those herps Laura. If it were warmer you may have seen a few more interesting species. But soon enough :)

ByRandom 11-26-2006 02:02 AM

Well.. The Laws go something like this... You can't catch/harass/keep/anything any native fauna/reptiles... Something along those lines. It sucks.

swf0 03-16-2007 11:58 PM

It is more restrictive but a lot of people think reptiles are food or kill reptiles just for sport in this state. Get a wildlife rehibilitator licence and work with the DNR and it would make it easier.

The biggest problem is finding a good herp vet that won't turn you in.

BryonsBoas 03-24-2007 10:25 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Went back out today , took the little woman ( Laura ) out creek walking. Big suprise to her, we ACTUALLY walked IN the creek. Found a few things for our first outting this season.

BryonsBoas 03-24-2007 10:33 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here we are in all our glory.

Laura Fopiano 03-25-2007 09:30 AM

Oh yeah, when he asked me to go for a creek walk, I ASSumed it meant walking along the creek, not in it. Thank God he missed the photo op of my head over heels, summer salt!

I tried to step over a log, realized that my legs were too short and decided to step on it to cross over it, thinking to myself "hey I can concure this obstacle" yes! Jane of the jungle has nothin on me, but I was wrong.

When I perched my left foot atop the log, it gave out, thank god I can think in mid air! I saw my face heading straight for the ground and flipped myself to land squarely on my back!

I am now laughing and bleeding form my shin, left abdomen, left wrist and left elbow! I here this "honey, are you ok"???? As I'm lying there injured, I think to myself, Oh yeah dear, don't come over to check on my wounds, I'm just peachy!!!!

Keeping my dignity in tact, I got up and continued on our adventure.

I will save the details of nearly being sucked under by the current of the so called deep spots of the water.

And I can't wait to do this again!!!!

LadyOhh 03-25-2007 12:13 PM

That sounds like so much fun!

I'm suprised there weren't more pics!

DThomas 03-25-2007 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laura Fopiano

I will save the details of nearly being sucked under by the current of the so called deep spots of the water.

I've seen you in person. You should float just fine....:rofl::rofl:

ChuckHurd 05-11-2007 07:52 PM

the law is pretty simple, you can not keep anything that is native to the state. they only go to the sp level, so a CA king snake, that do not occur anywhere near GA is still illegal to keep here. the only loop hole is native venomous. they wrote in the bill a porvision to allow ppl to kill or move venomous snakes in the state. since they gave no time frame on how long you can hold them while moving them, we can keep the venomous snakes that are native to the state. and since they only go to sp level, we can also keep the copperheads and corals that do not occur here, but have the same sp name as the ones that do.

IloveSnakes1234 05-27-2007 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DThomas
I've seen you in person. You should float just fine....:rofl::rofl:

:eek: That's deep!!!

I've been to GA before, it's a nice place but the laws there are messed up, kind of like NJ.