FaunaClassifieds

FaunaClassifieds (https://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Herp Talk (https://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=609)
-   -   What herps have bitten you? (https://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102359)

romad119 08-04-2007 09:15 AM

What herps have bitten you?

Some people seem to be more prone then others to get bit. For example, my friend will get bit by things that have never bitten anyone else before. My list is relatively short with no plans to add to it. The snakes might not agree with that.

Northern Water snake as a kid
Brazilian Rainbow
SD Gopher Snake
Woma
Cuban Boa

Bonus feature:
Yellow Monitor with bonus 'death roll' feature adding in

I'm willing to guess there are some who are approaching 50 species or more?

fuscusking13 08-04-2007 11:49 AM

Here is what I have been biten by:

Spiny Tailed Iguana
Retic
Afrock
Burm
Ball
Cali King
Braz Rainbow(on the lip lol)
Aussie Water Python
Black Rat snake as a kid(tried to ride my bike home while holding him).

The Retic and rock were recent, and completely my fault, as were all the others. I could have avoided the retic by using a hook, the rock by not smelling like rats, the king and ball by moving(but who cares, they dont hurt that much) but the burm and aussie were unexpected and fairly unavoideable given the situation. That iguana packed a punch though lol. Dan M.

Clay Davenport 08-04-2007 12:04 PM

Well off the top of my head, here's my list, although I am certain I'll miss several species I haven't kept in years.

Common boa
Woma
Jungle Carpet
Irian Jaya carpet
Ball python
Green Tree python
Hog Island boa
Radiated ratsnake
Blue Beauty
Taiwan beauty
corn snake
cal king
Hognose
South Florida king
Gray ratsnake
Hatchlings of numerous colubrid species, but those don't count

Those are what comes to mind easily, but I've kept almost 50 different species and been bitten by at least half of them so I am definitely forgetting several.
I still consider myself quite adept at avoiding bites though, I just get struck at a lot and the odds catch up with me periodically.

IloveSnakes1234 08-04-2007 12:18 PM

I haven't been bitten alot... But I have been bitten by a:
Corn snake
baby ball python
garter snake
and a dumeril's boa.
I want to be bitten more...

romad119 08-04-2007 12:20 PM

I do prefer the 'strike and release' to the 'chomp and chew' types.

romad119 08-04-2007 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IloveSnakes1234
I want to be bitten more...

Oh really? For a small fee...

IloveSnakes1234 08-04-2007 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by romad119
Oh really? For a small fee...

uh, fee? what fee?

Keith Northrop 08-04-2007 12:40 PM

Come See my Bone......

3 Attachment(s)
To Bone or Not to Bone.....That is the Question.....I started by listing herps that have bitten me, and quickly decided it would be easier to list that which
has not bitten me.....Just this week alone I got chomped by a B&W Cal King, and a Texas Ornate Box Turtle? What?.....Dude How do get bit by a Ornate Box Turtle.....Simple ...you put your finger over by his mouth and say"Look, See, he doesn't bite!...... Chomp!!! Ok.Ok.....Now I know your wondering about the Finger? That my Friend is the Work of a 2.5 ft
WesternDiamondBack....I get to keep my finger......But now I don't know if I want it.....HaHa.....Last Month I removed this from my finger???? Believe it or Not! It finally healed up. Is that my Knuckle Bone or What? I thought it was a
piece if Tendon?????? 2 hours later Wha La.....I pulled that from my finger....Know my figer feels like a million Knuck....... :dgrin:

Clay Davenport 08-04-2007 01:22 PM

Oh well, add Bredli to my list.
And to think as I was typing my list I was thinking how nice the bredli had been all these months, never offering to strike, all around docile, especially for a member of the morelia group.
10 minutes later that feeling ended......... :mah:

chondrogal 08-04-2007 06:58 PM

Chow (worst bite), American Eskimo (to face required stitches), Poodle, Lhasa, Rottie, Chihuahua, Min Pin, Cocker Spaniel, Husky, Schnauzer, Westie, Cairn, Samoyed, several cats......... California Sea Lion (big ouch), horse, donkey, duck (on the lip) .... all work related.

Western Fence lizard, cali kings, gopher snakes, coachwhips... all w/c during hiking/play days, catch and release.

Diamond pythons, and green tree pythons so many times that I don't even care about getting bit anymore. Just finished working with a baby that tagged and chewed multiple times!

After all the blood these critters have drawn, I'd take them all 10 times over again instead of that ONE bite of Keiths!! I have worked with lots of rattlers locally, but have never given one the chance to get that close!!

hhmoore 08-04-2007 10:08 PM

I thought I had responded to this in The Bite Club, but that was apparently not the place. I'll take a look tomorrow, so I don't have to think too hard (my other response was not an fully inclusive list, btw)

romad119 08-04-2007 10:32 PM

Forgot, a male diamond bit me before too.

Otter_23 08-05-2007 04:48 AM

That got me thinking, I'm sure I forgot some
snapping turtle (stitches on the side and top of foot)
bearded dragon
crested gecko
garter snakes
bull snake
Brazilian rainbow boa
Cal king (just today)
corns
IJ carpet
ball python
sand boa
texas brown snake (I think he was trying to bite)

reddog4063 09-04-2007 09:52 PM

I have been bitten and constricted twice by a Burmese python i owned for many years, once at 4' and once at 8 feet. Both due to "stupid feeding errors", and both while alone.

kellysballs 09-04-2007 10:28 PM

Wow guys my list is relatively short and uneventful.
baby ball pythons
4ft albino burm
Black racer
pacman frog
stray cat
rottweiler
Pitbull

of those the only one that left scars is the rotty. And I can say All of those bites were my fault.

Miss Tuniwha 09-04-2007 10:33 PM

Hrm.. Reptile wise, not too much has latched on to me...

A few Ball pythons.. rarely have they just bitten and released though.. so that sucks.

a young (luckily) savanna monitor.. that took some time to get to release.. YAY MOUTHWASH! ha ha ha ha

that is about it aside from young leopard geckos and bearded dragons.. but that doesn't count.. thats just CUTE!

Stardust 09-05-2007 03:03 PM

A baby Brazillian boa once, it was so cute to see him acting so fierce just hanging there until he figured out he couldn't eat me and was serving no purpose. He let go on his own.

A graze from my tegu once upon waking. Slight scratches, no blood but man I felt it for hours and that was amazing to me as well and it did make me that much more aware how powerful and fast these creatures can be.

edf01 09-08-2007 07:52 PM

So far, the only snake I been biten by is by far the scariest snake ever- a barely 24 inch king snake.

Pathetic, right? It gets worse- I am terrified of this snake now!

oh, i got bit by rats, does that count??

:D

jsrocket 09-08-2007 09:20 PM

I have been bitten by so many snakes, I lost count many years ago (including a northern pacific rattlesnake), but I would not trade them all for the hit Keith took.

techgirl 09-08-2007 10:34 PM

I was bitten by my iguana many years ago when I had her. I was hand feeding her apples and looked away when I shouldn't. Got a heck of a pinch by a hermit crab few years ago. Snake-wise I have been lucky. I do have a female Hogg Island that wants to earn a spot though. She is the devil. The only time I open her rack box is when my daughter is sleeping or at the in-laws to avoid her getting tagged in the attempt to get me. My daughter is just starting to understand why I don't let her near the snakes when I clean or feed.

norcal 09-09-2007 12:50 AM

it would probly be easier to list what have not bitten me...LOL! I have been bitten by;
redtail, rainbow, solomon island, rosy, dumeril of the boas
bismark ringed, burmese & (The worst bite) reticulated of the pythons

among the colubrids;
hognose, gopher, king, garter, glossy, longnose, coachwhip, racer & the rear fanged false water cobra

the only venomous snake to ever get me was the trans-pecos copperhead, it wasn't a direct hit, my hand & arm swelled up & had to spend the night @ the hospital. I do not drink alcohol anymore :ack2: :rolleyes_

I think I got all of them, but after getting bit sooo many times, it really doesn't seem to bother you anymore

Nickysticky10 09-09-2007 06:07 AM

I have gotten bit by

Reptiles:

A ball python
A painted turtle
A sun turtle
A red tailed boa
A five lined skink
Garter snakes
Almost got bit by a caiman(my fault for not holding it properly)
I'm sure there will be many more reptiles that bite me to!

All other animals:
Cats
Dogs
Rats(my fault for holding them the wrong way)
Mice
Rabbits
I'm sure there will be many more animals to bite me to!

norcal 09-09-2007 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nickysticky10
I have gotten bit by

Reptiles:

A ball python
A painted turtle
A sun turtle
A red tailed boa
A five lined skink
Garter snakes
Almost got bit by a caiman(my fault for not holding it properly)
I'm sure there will be many more reptiles that bite me to!

All other animals:
Cats
Dogs
Rats(my fault for holding them the wrong way)
Mice
Rabbits
I'm sure there will be many more animals to bite me to!

I just listed the snakes...but your caiman bite would of made you tops :thumbsup:

Payara 12-01-2009 03:39 PM

The only animal that bit me so far is Rottweiler. The lil bastard was trying to smelling my crotch area and i pushed his head away and he decided to take bite out of my inner thigh.

Payara 12-01-2009 03:42 PM

Oh yeah i also got bit by an fully grown silver arowana, I was feeding him some earth worms and he decided that my hand looked more appetizing. My whole hand was in his month for almost 10 min. Crazy fish!

Melinda 12-02-2009 08:20 PM

OMG Keith!! your experience further cements my decision NOT to get near venomous.

All the usual bites for me;

balls, kings, corns, bloods, garters, ratsnakes, gophers, beardeds, leos, dumeril boas...etc...nothing to really get excited about.

WingedWolf 12-02-2009 08:30 PM

Reptiles:
Green Anole
House Gecko
Bark Anole
Leopard Gecko
Garter Snake
African House Snake
Ball Python

Other animals:
Cat
Rat
Mouse
Hamster
Rabbit
Cockatiel
Budgerigar

Omnomnami 12-02-2009 09:01 PM

Hmm...I remember getting chomped on by dozens of angry garter snakes when I was around 5 years old...

Recently I've been chomped on by several very angry baby beardies...the babies really don't like me. Lol.

I've also been bitten on accident by my sav while I was feeding him eggs.

Nothing serious but it's a bit startling lol.

bokuza 12-15-2009 11:31 AM

balls, calis, milks and ratsnake that LOVVED to chew. That was left me all fleshy and mauled haha. Bearded dragons have bit me endless amounts. Then again those are most of my rescues. :P

My worst bite ever though was from my Mothers god damn moluccan cockatoo. I was around 6 and everyday my job was to feed this bird sweet potatoes, veggies and boiled eggs. He ate better than I did. I went to go put his attachable bowl on his perch and he lunged forward for my hand and pierced my two middle fingers, cracking the middle fingers bone to splinters. He wouldnt let go until I wapped him over the head 3 times and swung him into the fridge door.

Twizted Paths 12-15-2009 10:03 PM

Mastiff (had to have a plastic surgeon put my lip back on and the left side of my face was trashed)
nasty little mix breed ankle biter
pug
shar pei
a rather large mutt
yellow naped amazon (10 yrs later the inside of my mouth is still scar I can feel from it biting through my cheek)
lots bugies
my mother Evil parrot (can't remember what it was)
lots of lovebirds
cuckatoo
military macaw
a newt
lots of evil quakers
an ex boyfriend (not in a fun way either)
a couple small children
cockatiels
timoth african grey
an alligator gar
northern water snake
degus
mice
rats
a damn bunny
a frog
a bufo toad
a retic
small bcis
african fat gecko
quite a few cats
a seagull
a racoon
a squirrel
both my brothers and a cousin
painted turtle
an iggy
my kid
a small nile monitor
diamond x carpet python

and probably some others I forgot. Apparently I'm quite tasty :rolleyes:

shrap 12-16-2009 07:53 AM

What animals have I bit? Now that is the real question.....

retic88 12-18-2009 01:52 AM

Burms ,Boas, tegu , water monitor & anacondas. on a daily basis my dam anacondas. im tring to take them down and make them nice but you just cant trust a anaconda. wost bite was my 13ft burm. was holding a rat by the tail and feeding it and it missed the rat and got me. hand was black and blue for a week. my wife it would have to be my granite burm.

AvandisFifth187 12-18-2009 03:50 AM

Let's see.... I have been bitten by:

A few different species of garter snakes native to Ohio
Common North American Brown Toad (surprised that it didn't just piss on me)
Red eared slider
A golden-back salamander
a couple of Mole Salamanders
My lil hypo leo

and that's it....

KingBowser 12-18-2009 10:53 AM

I've been bitten by multiple things, but probably the worst one was by a 5 foot crocodile monitor that I use to own. I still have the scar...

pgwdragons 12-18-2009 11:19 AM

Hmm.. lets see, ive been tagged by..

Bearded Dragons
Leopard Geckos
Ball pythons
Redtail boas
Amazon Tree Boa
Blue tail skink
kenyan sand boa
tegu
Got a pretty big scar on my right forearm from a 4ft. white throat monitor
kingsnakes
milksnakes
and randomly enough a pacman frog lmfao

Briscoe007 12-18-2009 11:31 AM

I just got bitten by my wife's African Fat Tailed gecko that we have had for 10 years. It has never done anything like that. It didn't hurt much, but it wouldn't let go for 10 minutes. I felt like if I tried to pull it off I might hurt the Gecko

Twizted Paths 12-18-2009 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Briscoe007 (Post 836612)
I felt like if I tried to pull it off I might hurt the Gecko

:rofl: That's how you know you're a true herper - they're biting you and you're worried they'll get hurt.

ace9916 12-18-2009 01:51 PM

Man you all have been biten by quite a list there.

Annabella May you must be really tasty you even have humans on your list. Yicks

I'v been bitten by Pit BUll,( largest animal to get me, darn dog he got his though) Bearded Dragon, Tegu, Gecko, Amazon Parret, Bunny, and a silk worm who thought my finger was food for somereason he was nawing on my finger for 10 minutes before he figured it out.

Twizted Paths 12-18-2009 07:30 PM

At least I'm not the only one to get bit by a bunny, that bite made me quite indignant.

LauraB 12-18-2009 08:33 PM

Herps = musk and mud turtles, a 28-lb snapper I was using to educate kids (that one got me by surprise!), box turtle, several species of snakes, chameleons, a beardie.

Birds: Umbrella cockatoo, cockatiel

Arachnids: stepped on a black widow in Tucson when I lived there; got a scorp sting when I picked it up last year thinking it was an escaped cricket in my house.

Dogs, cats, a squirrel, rabbit, mice, a horse once and when I was a third-grader, picked up a small dying bat, took it home and hid it in my bedroom to "save" it. It died hours later, but not before a nice little bite to my hand, which I also hid from my parents, until it became a bit infected. Turned out to be my first lesson in parental rage and why I should NOT touch every animal I see. Rabies shots suck.

Ah, good times :)