FaunaClassifieds

FaunaClassifieds (https://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussions (https://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   I NEED HELP! EXTREMELY MALNOURISHED KITTEN! (https://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=658076)

Zach8498 06-08-2018 06:25 PM

I NEED HELP! EXTREMELY MALNOURISHED KITTEN!

Yesterday, I found a very skinny kitten by my house. It was very alive and active. I told my mom that it needed food, but it was night, so she told me she would get food in the morning. We had to go to my brother’s graduation, so she agreed to get food after. The kitten was still perfectly fine besides being really hungry. 3 hours later, we get back and the kitten is laying on the floor. The kitten is still breathing and has a heart beat. It won’t wake up. I don't know what to do. I wrapped it in a blanket and put it on a heat mat. My mom finally got cat milk, but I don’t know what to do. Please help me.

snowgyre 06-08-2018 07:20 PM

Take it to the vet. There are a number of dangers to you from taking in an unknown kitten, not the least of which is rabies. You need to know if you've been exposed. The vet will know if the kitten can be saved or should be euthanized. If the kitten has rabies you and everyone exposed need to be given prophylaxis shots... it is extremely urgent you go to the vet to get this diagnosed! Rabies is 100% fatal once symptoms show, including in humans.

snowgyre 06-08-2018 07:21 PM

In the meantime, treat the kitten as a biohazard. Wear rubber gloves, wash everything it has come into contact with with a 10% bleach solution, and keep all of your other pets away from it.

Zach8498 06-08-2018 08:22 PM

Thank you for the advice. I will clean everything that came in contact with the kitten and avoid physical contact with the kitten. My parents won't take it to the vet. How could I take care of it at home? I have been force feeding it for the past 4 hours. It finally woke up. It is now drinking cat milk from a plate. He has started walking around a little bit. He's still lethargic and goes back to sleep every few minutes. He seems to be getting better.

snowgyre 06-08-2018 08:39 PM

If the cat dies get it tested for rabies. However, if your parents won't take it to the vet the best option is to surrender it to the pound. You are ill-equipped to help the kitten. You are putting the kitten and your entire family at risk trying to do so.

snowgyre 06-08-2018 08:42 PM

Here's the thing, that kitten probably has worms, ear mites, fleas, possible feline leukemia, eye infection, respiratory infection, possible FIV, possible rabies... a whole litany of contagious and potentially dangerous diseases. You simply cannot treat it without vet attention. Your heart is in the right place, but you need to think about what's best for the cat. Surrender it to the pound. If you can't get there yourself, try to get a friend with a car to drop it off for you.

Zach8498 06-08-2018 08:55 PM

I think I might be able to convince my mom to bring the kitten to the vet when it gets better. She didn't want to take it to the vet because it would cost a lot to have the vet heal the kitten and give it vaccines. She was willing to take two other cats to the vet for just vaccines. She is afraid of diseases that the kitten might carry, so she will probably take it to the vet for vaccines.

snowgyre 06-08-2018 09:02 PM

I'm glad she's willing to take it to the vet, but prepare yourself, because that cat is going to need a lot more treatment than just vaccines. That's why I suggested taking it to the pound. Even if they euthanize it, that is a far more humane outcome than having it languish in your well-meaning but unprepared care.

AbsoluteApril 06-08-2018 09:08 PM

I agree, if you can't get to the vet, please contact a rescue ASAP or take it to the pound. Sounds like it might not make it. I'm sorry, wishing you and the little one the best.

Lucille 06-08-2018 09:15 PM

Zach, you have a good heart. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your little kitten.

Brokbakman 06-09-2018 01:45 AM

You have a really good soul kid . Orphaned kittens need alot of care and can be quite time consuming. I rescue a couple each year and sometimes all you can do is keep them comfortable until they pass or give them to someone can make it less painful sadly. You've already done more than most bud .

Brokbakman 06-09-2018 02:00 AM

Depending on his age he is going to need to be fed every couple of ours . u need to take a rag and run it under warm water so it's damp (not soaking wet) , you are going to use that rag like a momy cat uses it's tongue to clean up the kitten after each feeding . It's ears, eyes , mouth , belly ,and especially it bottom and private parts ( it helps to make them not get plugged up ) . Give it something soft like a towel and put it someplace warm, dark ,and quite to rest . I can't stress this enough stray kittens almost always have fleas and worms so you need to get him to the vet to address that . It probably would be best though to take it to a rescue if your parents don't have some spare funds or time to help you with this little guy . A sick baby kitten takes alot of time and a bit of money to get healthy . Best of luck buddy and keep having a good heart .

Brokbakman 06-09-2018 02:01 AM

*hours

Mirael 02-07-2019 07:32 AM

Stumbled upon this thread and remembered how I picked up my cat from the street. Can say that it's extremely important to bring the kitten to a vet as fast as possible. You can't really help him by yourself in that state. Mine looked battered, thin and obviously infested with fleas and helminths. We struggled with fleas for a month, eventually, some pieces of advice from this article helped. As for the other troubles... vet gave us a ton of prescription meds.
Hope you managed to help that poor kitty.