FaunaClassifieds

FaunaClassifieds (https://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/index.php)
-   Board of Inquiry® (https://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Ashley Caspillo-SakaraGT4/Sakara *Possible Buyer Beware!* (https://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=214444)

amercnwmn 12-01-2010 04:00 PM

Ashley Caspillo-SakaraGT4/Sakara *Possible Buyer Beware!*

:ack2: Sorry! My apologies, I left off the name in the title**

This thread is about Ashley Caspillo (aka Sakara, aka SakaraGT & CaspilloConstrictors)and the possibility of IBD carrying snakes sold both here, elsewhere online, and offered for donation in a fundraising thread on another site.

I have provided the following links, and I have accented remarks made that support/contradict important statements made, my thoughts/opinions are in blue. I realize it's very long, but I've tried to make it as easy to follow as possible.

#1: Fauna BOI Bad Guy post found regarding Sakara (Ashley Caspillo's) claim regarding an IBD infected snake Dated: 11-19-2009

http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...&postcount=116

Quote:

Originally Posted by SakaraGT4
This is my official statement on this matter:
This is the email that I just sent him... for the record....

James,I got the results back from the vet today. The male BCL tested positive for both IBD and Pneumonia.
When I got him in September,(2009) I kept him away from the others with standard protocol. The only time he had contact with my other snakes at all was when we were moving to the new house. He was near the other snakes for maybe 2 weeks while we were getting everything set up, then moved back into his isolation.

The snake appeared fine during this time, but refused to eat for almost 4 weeks. I did not think much of that because I have had snakes refuse food before with no problems. This snake has never had any direct contact with any other snake in my collection. It is possible for this disease to spread through the air, but it is unstable, so there is a possibility that it may not spread through the air. It is typically spread through mites and feces/urine. This snake has never had that sort of contact with my other snakes and I do not have a mite issue. It is possible that this disease may spread to my other snakes and if it does my pythons will be the first to die due to the disease. As I stated before, I came home on 12November2009 to find him on his back Then he passed away early morning on 13November2009.

I have professional documented proof that this animal has had IBD since before I acquired him.

If any of my animals have contracted this disease and I lose my collection, I will be seeking representation for collection of my losses......

(CUT TO SHORTEN..FULL VIEW ON ABOVE URL) ......
To replace my entire collection it would cost me approx. $16,860 using average prices.
I am requesting a refund for the sick male BCL that I purchased from you of $196 for the animal, shipping and paypal fee. I have all documentation as well your information. If I do not receive this refund I will contact paypal. If paypal does not help I will locate your local police and my connections with other agencies.Thank you,Ashley Caspillo

* If you read the actual thread posted, She CLEARLY states she has a snake with IBD in her claim on Fauna.
She also ADMITS said snake COULD have possibly infected some het albino boas she currently had up for sale. Why the sale ads for the babies were NOT IMMEDIATELY pulled I do not know.

#2 Here's where she talked about the death of said boa on another forum
http://www.redtailboa.net/forums/boa...boa-dying.html

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sakara
went to scoop him out and he went into another "seizure" flipping around and opening his mouth...

[quote]
He is in isolation and hasn't been around my collection in a while..
Quote:

yea... we have a necropsy appointment today with the best herp vet in Austin....They said that they do the process there and then if they need to send off tissue they have a place that does that as well... So I'm fairly confident with these ppl... Iv'e heard good things about them...
#3: Necropsy results from, her vet "Suggesting Inclusion Body Disease"
http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...&postcount=172

#4) ON another forum her STORY CHANGES Posted 12-04-2009

http://www.redtailboa.net/forums/boa...tml#post750746
Quote:

here is the issue. the tests showed that the snake had pneumonia, a parasite, a blood infection and something else but showed inclusion bodies in some areas. do I think he had IBD? honestly I don't know what to think.
is my collection in jeopardy? I highly doubt that considering this snake was isolated in a seperate room all but the move date.
have talked to many ppl about this and done so much research about diseases and stuff since he died. I also have a slight issue with the doctors that did the tests. look at the test dates on the reports... they didn't do the testing for like 4 or 5 days after the animal had passed. I am a tad bit skepticle that the test results were accurate consideing they didn't preserve the tissue other then in a cold environment.

why did I post the info over there? to try to shut that idiot out of 'business' and make a case against him with others' info if it comes to that.

why I didn't say anything over here about that possibility? because I'm not about to say my snake is sick and kill off my collection to find out that no one is sick because unlike that idiot, I actually take proper precautions with my animals.

I do not think my animals are in danger.

i see no reason in raising a flag where it doesn't need to be. that snake was in his own room in our house. the main collection is in the snake room, the babies are in the 2nd empty bedroom and he was in the 3rd, by himself and that is where he passed.

Right here I'll interject with a link to a picture of her snake room posted 5 days AFTER her move
:

#5) Link to pictures showing the snake IN the room with the others on 10-3-2009
(2nd pic from top "MALE BCL")

http://www.redtailboa.net/forums/cag...-done-now.html

Someone mentions the "Moving day" was around Sept 28th, the pics were EXIF dated Oct. 3, so at LEAST 5 days that snake was with those others.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sakara
so like I said, I'm not worried about my snakes and I didn't feel the need for anyone else to be worried when I don't know if the test results were true or false and at this time I honestly do not feel any threat from said disease. y'all know my collection and know that if I thought I needed to be worried I would be kinda flipping out about this, lol
#6) The het albino boas she mentions as being in danger of IBD are the SAME boas listed for sale on Oct. 30th

http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...ight=SakaraGT4

Sold at least ONE Nov. 17th, 2009

#7) SAME snakes mentioned after questioned about possibly selling sick snakes:

http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...148034&page=13
[quote]
I was devastated when I heard IBD... The snake never even exhibited IBD type symptoms... Even until the time that he passed away, he could still completely right himself if flipped over, climb up himself if I held him by the tail and as I said, he never showed any signs of IBD... I have been told that IBD tests can show false positives if a snake has other neurological issues or something... But as I said in my paragraph, the only true way to know is, unfortunately, if my other snakes start dying.
As I stated, all the animals are here and are not leaving. Does it suck? yes...
But I'm not going to sell possibly sick animals to people. Especially with the babies possibly having IBD. At least I am honest and will not let any of them go.

#8) SAME boas offered for auction in a fundraising thread for TammyJamaica on RTB.net as of CURRENT (12-01-10)

http://www.redtailboa.net/forums/auc...ion-tammy.html

Ashley has admitted
Quote:

i've had 3 snakes, a burm, retic and a boa all tested after passing from unrelated causes tested by toxicology on brain, liver and intestine tissues and none had any issues...

It is my understanding that the absence of inclusion bodies does not necessarily mean the snake is not affected with IBD

I get that information from Dr. Jacobson's site

http://www.vetmed.ufl.edu/college/de...easeVirus.html
Quote:

Thus, inclusions may be missed by pathologists in cases having few inclusions in the brain or other tissues. While the presence of characteristic inclusions is diagnostic for the disease, the absence of inclusions does not necessarily mean the snake is disease or IBD virus free.
From her own admittance, she has lost 3-4 snakes SINCE the death of the BCL, but has NOT provided any necropsies regarding said deaths.

NOW when confronted with the findings, and the possibility of losing sales, she's retracted her confidence in the first vet's findings and has claimed a 2nd vet has discredited the initial findings, but has yet to post proof of that as well..

There's more links to snakes she's sold, and snakes she has bought. If need be, those links can also be provided.

I'm of course, NOT saying she HAS IBD.

I'm saying based on HER CLAIMS her snake DIED of VET PROVEN IBD. She alleged IBD all the way up to the last post made January 2010. (reference the first thread posted)

Based on the photographic proof and her own admissions, she has NOT taken proper steps in quarantine to preserve the health of her collection or others, and, IMO should NOT be offering snakes for SALE or DONATION without these facts being available somewhere for review by potential buyers.

She has NOW stated she won't sell any snakes, but I'm concerned about snakes she's ALREADY sold and the fact that she sold them after such questions were raised and never cleared regarding the death of the boa to suspected IBD

reticguy76 12-01-2010 04:09 PM

thats what is so tough about ibd, even if a slight or tissue sample doesnt reveal any inclusion bodies, it doesnt mean that snake is free of it. its such a nasty tough disease, especially in the python/boa world

AddictedToBoas 12-01-2010 04:18 PM

Thank you for this information... From what I can see based on what you posted, it seems like she is not a person I'd like to work with. The moment she decided to sell her snakes, suddenly it wasn't IBD even though she openly accussed another breeder of selling her an IBD positive snake and demanded a refund.

I don't like people who operate like that.

dustinNMpythons 12-01-2010 04:38 PM

Sounds pretty shady to me. Does she know of this thread? I didn't know IBD was such a nasty disease untill I recently researched it. I would die if my collection got something like this. I've always had really good quarantine procedures but that puts a whole new motivation to it. Plus I typically only buy from people I know.

reticguy76 12-01-2010 04:46 PM

ibd is nasty. if you have never seen an animal deep into ibd, you are lucky. if you are curious, youtube as a video or two of boas (i believe) that has ibd (neurologically affected ibd), it is a very sad site to see

amercnwmn 12-01-2010 04:53 PM

Yes Dustin, I did link her to it.
She also copy/pasted a reply on another thread where IBD had been brought up on my first attempt at this thread (forgot the name in title).

Here is her copy/paste reply from the other thread:

Quote:

And I, obviously, understand the concern about the health of the animals... As I stated, I do not believe that there is anything wrong with any of my animals and that there hasn't been since that one, hopefully, isolated incident with the BCL...
Already contradicting her statement admitting she lost 3 to 4 other snakes since that death.
Quote:

But, I have decided to hold off on my projects for this year simply to INSURE to the community that there is no issue... By next season, it will have been 2 years since the BCL incident and provided that there are no issues with ANY animal until then, then there should be no issues... .
It's good that she has decided to hold off, but I think it's a little late for anyone who MIGHT have received a snake that was exposed, and to the new additions she has added since the IBD confirmation.
I have a friend, whom I hope will speak up, who has had 6 deaths (2 were voluntary euthanasias) in 2 years from IBD slowly eeking its way through her collection.
So I disagree that no symptoms means no disease.
I also disagree that one year would make 2 years free of issues, since she admitted she lost the others.

Quote:

And even though I believe that there is no issue, NOW, I would rather wait and INSURE it to everyone else then have a bunch of babies that no one wants due to "possibilities"..
My opinion is I would expect someone who cares about the welfare of their animals AT THIS POINT, to be more worried about the "possibility" being IBD infecting people's collections, not whether I was stuck with babies people didn't want..

Quote:

I feel that that is the best thing I can do as of now... well, including not getting anymore animals, but the hubby already told me I can't anyway because we don't need anymore, but that's besides the point... IF my vet can find someone around here to do the live tissue biopsy that isn't like, several hours away, I will look into the live liver biopsies as well... I believe there may be one about 45 mins in Salado that will do it, but if not I will have to look into College Station...
I think that would be a good idea. However, as mentioned above the LACK of wouldn't automatically mean a clean bill of health, but it would give you a little more piece of mind. Then I would have another testing done next year before I even considered adding/selling any snakes.

Quote:

I still do not feel that my collection, Yvonne's collection or any animal that has been around any of them are in danger... But I would rather prove that to y'all then get harassed about it this season.
I don't care if you prove anything to me or anyone else. They are your snakes, I'd feel bad for someone that gets a sick snake from you that wipes out their collection, but unfortunately it wouldn't be the first or last case of THAT happening.

You should want to prove the well being of your snakes to yourself, IMO.

SakaraGT4 12-01-2010 05:47 PM

well you already posted my reply but here it is again...

I, obviously, understand the concern about the health of the animals... As I stated, I do not believe that there is anything wrong with any of my animals and that there hasn't been since that one, hopefully, isolated incident with the BCL...

But, I have decided to hold off on my projects for this year simply to INSURE to the community that there is no issue... By next season, it will have been 2 years since the BCL incident and provided that there are no issues with ANY animal until then, then there should be no issues... And even though I believe that there is no issue, NOW, I would rather wait and INSURE it to everyone else then have a bunch of babies that no one wants due to "possibilities"...

I feel that that is the best thing I can do as of now... well, including not getting anymore animals, but the hubby already told me I can't anyway because we don't need anymore, but that's besides the point... IF my vet can find someone around here to do the live tissue biopsy that isn't like, several hours away, I will look into the live liver biopsies as well... I believe there may be one about 45 mins in Salado that will do it, but if not I will have to look into College Station...

I still do not feel that my collection, Yvonne's collection or any animal that has been around any of them are in danger... But I would rather prove that to y'all then get harassed about it this season.

I've already stated this and if you so choose you can tear it apart as you please, as you already have...

And if you want to bring this up in it's own thread, the community should know that Yvonne's snakes were also housed with mine for breeding and some in the same room as hers... So IF I did have any IBD issues, then that should throw up a red flag for her collection too... Although I'm sure it won't because someone will come up with an excuse there...

amercnwmn 12-01-2010 06:02 PM

No, I agree, Ashley you are correct.. I hadn't even thought of that.

AddictedToBoas 12-01-2010 06:16 PM

Bring about proof that they were housed with your animals at the time of possible infection and something should and will be posted.

dustinNMpythons 12-01-2010 06:31 PM

Ashley, sounds like you are on the right track. From what I've read about this disease it can take quite a while for it to become apparent that an animal has it and it would only lead to more problems if it was passed on to someone elses collection. The only thing that everyone wants out of this is to not let this pass on to others. No one is looking to tarnish your name there just needs to be insurance that the infection is contained, if in fact your animals did somehow contract it. Furthermore if this other person, Yvonne's snakes have come into contact with that snake then you should probably make a thread letting people know about this as well and she needs to take the same precautions that you are taking. This seems like the HIV of the reptile world, is there anyone trying to find a cure for it at all? or at least doing extensive research on this disease?

dustinNMpythons 12-01-2010 06:37 PM

also what do you say about the pretty solid proof that you have sold snakes that we're in contact with the snake in question. Have you let the buyers know that there could be a possiblility that these snakes may carry IBD?

RachelSS 12-01-2010 07:10 PM

IIRC the incident happened what, almost a year ago? With IBD, it can go unnoticed longer in boas, but pythons will get it and pass substantially quicker than boas. If it's been almost a year and I KNOW she had her spider ball python BEFORE the infected BCL, and the carpet python she has, reticulated pythons, and ball python are still alive, it sounds like the isolated case is just that - isolated.

i've been reading and re-reading info on IBD and every vet site and reptile site I've read (Courtney posted links in another thread as well) say that pythons that contract IBD pass faster than boas.

RachelSS 12-01-2010 07:13 PM

I'm going to put it out there - Ashley and I ARE friends, and I do think some of this has gone overboard, I have also told Ashley that she has made a mistake with all of this broadcasting of her own personal information.

Now that everything is out there, I do not think she has a case of IBD in her collection. I can also vouch that she would take one of her snakes to the vet in a heart beat if there was an issue. Setting aside financial discrepancies people are bringing up, I can honestly say that she DOES have good intentions.

Carry on.

AddictedToBoas 12-01-2010 07:21 PM

It just could of been that her pythons weren't infected, she specifically said that the het albino boas were the ones that were most likely exposed. Just because her pythons didn't get it doesn't mean her boas didn't and aren't carrying it. You can't be sure, IBD works in weird ways. It's just better to be safe than sorry considering how little we know about it.

RachelSS 12-01-2010 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AddictedToBoas (Post 1159474)
It just could of been that her pythons weren't infected, she specifically said that the het albino boas were the ones that were most likely exposed. Just because her pythons didn't get it doesn't mean her boas didn't and aren't carrying it. You can't be sure, IBD works in weird ways. It's just better to be safe than sorry considering how little we know about it.

from what I'm reading about IBD, it sounds like pythons contract the disease much more easily than boas. One of the papers I'm reading is written by a professor at the University here where I live/attend. I will see if I can get in contact with him as he specializes in reptile vet practices.

Again, it seems like, from what I've read, that the exposure to contraction time for pythons is much faster and they show symptoms and die quicker than boas. Yes, moving a quarantined snake WITH the other snakes was a bad move. Personally I would not have done it.

Ashley also posted that Yvonne's snakes were kept and bred with some of hers. Yvonne has not lost any snakes to IBD SINCE that time either.

I agree that IBD is tricky. I also know Yvonne has pythons as well and again, since pythons contract IBD easier, she hasn't lost anything so I think it's more than likely the case was an isolated incident. :shrug01:

amercnwmn 12-01-2010 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AddictedToBoas (Post 1159474)
You can't be sure, IBD works in weird ways. It's just better to be safe than sorry considering how little we know about it.

That's my opinion as well, and one expressed by some of the main researchers studying this disease.

There's a LOT of unknowns pertaining to IBD.
Including how long it can lie dormant in a collection, and exactly how it's transmitted.

I think you guys are expecting IBD would have just wiped out her pythons in a short period of time, and completely relying on the viability of her pythons to give her collection a complete bill of clean health.

I don't think it's responsible to rely on "well my Pythons are still alive so it wasn't IBD" as a proof positive.

She's lost 3 or 4 snakes in this past year's time. There are reports of snakes not showing ANY signs of IBD, being asymptomatic and lacking the presence of inclusion bodies in necropsies. These are discrepancies in her claim that she hasn't lost any more snakes. Personally, I think further testing should be done on ALL the snakes in the collection.. I think it should have been done IMMEDIATELY after the FIRST report.

I don't know for sure that she does or does not have IBD because SHE doesn't know without a shadow of a doubt if she does or doesn't have IBD.

What IS known is that there is Ashley's admission she had IBD and the necropsy to back it up followed with 3-4 dead snakes within the past year.

She stated she was NOT to sell the snakes she thought might be exposed, but her posts show she did before having any further testing and receiving a proven clean bill of health in the collection.

AddictedToBoas 12-01-2010 07:41 PM

It's definitely a possibility it was isolated and yes from what I have read pythons are affected more rapidly than boas but I haven't read anything about them being more susceptible. The only really significant thing I've seen is that boas can carry and not show while pythons can't.

Like I said before it's just better to be safe than sorry and inform your customers of the possibility that exposure might have happened. No one can remember exactly what happened a year ago, maybe she touched one of her boas after touching the BCL but not the pythons... It's really hard to say. I'm not accusing her of anything or claiming her animals are diseased I just think she should do what she has said she would do. Give it another year to be sure and warn customers of that possibility, though slim it may be, after all this time.

If Yvonne's animals were housed with hers she has the same responsibility even though her animals haven't shown any symptoms either.

RachelSS 12-01-2010 07:43 PM

I understand, and respect what you are saying. And I am sort of relying on the fact that her pythons aren't wiped out completely as more solid proof, but I think it's also important to show that Yvonne's collection was exposed to the potential risk of IBD and her snakes are all alive and well. So there's two sort of potential proofs that there are no signs of IBD.

But for anyone to NOT quarantine ANY animals is absolutely ludicrous, unless you can walk through and see the condition of the animals yourself and you can without a shadow of a doubt trust that person.

sally-dog 12-01-2010 07:44 PM

One of those boas died from an infection of the reproductive tract while it was gravid... maybe IBD related, maybe not. IBD suppresses the immune system.

amercnwmn 12-01-2010 07:44 PM

My point being she doesn't KNOW it was an isolated incident, and didn't when she sold snakes.

That's all the point that's attempting to be made here.

You may drag in whomever you wish, but I think even a vet will agree that without testing the snakes in the collection, it can't be absolutely ruled out as "clean".
All we have is her word, which I think has proven itself to change.

RachelSS 12-01-2010 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AddictedToBoas (Post 1159486)
It's definitely a possibility it was isolated and yes from what I have read pythons are affected more rapidly than boas but I haven't read anything about them being more susceptible. The only really significant thing I've seen is that boas can carry and not show while pythons can't.

Like I said before it's just better to be safe than sorry and inform your customers of the possibility that exposure might have happened. No one can remember exactly what happened a year ago, maybe she touched one of her boas after touching the BCL but not the pythons... It's really hard to say. I'm not accusing her of anything or claiming her animals are diseased I just think she should do what she has said she would do. Give it another year to be sure and warn customers of that possibility, though slim it may be, after all this time.

If Yvonne's animals were housed with hers she has the same responsibility even though her animals haven't shown any symptoms either.

Agreed 150% :D

AddictedToBoas 12-01-2010 07:45 PM

Quote:

That's my opinion as well, and one expressed by some of the main researchers studying this disease.

Including how long it can lie dormant in a collection, and exactly how it's transmitted.

I think you guys are expecting IBD would have just wiped out her pythons in a short period of time, and completely relying on the viability of her pythons to give her collection a complete bill of clean health.

I don't think it's responsible to rely on "well my Pythons are still alive so it wasn't IBD" as a proof positive.

She's lost 3 or 4 snakes in this past year's time. There are reports of snakes not showing ANY signs of IBD, being asymptomatic and lacking the presence of inclusion bodies in necropsies. These are discrepancies in her claim that she hasn't lost any more snakes. Personally, I think further testing should be done on ALL the snakes in the collection.. I think it should have been done IMMEDIATELY after the FIRST report.

I don't know for sure that she does or does not have IBD because SHE doesn't know without a shadow of a doubt if she does or doesn't have IBD.

What IS known is that there is Ashley's admission she had IBD and the necropsy to back it up followed with 3-4 dead snakes within the past year.

She stated she was NOT to sell the snakes she thought might be exposed, but her posts show she did before having any further testing and receiving a proven clean bill of health in the collection.
amercnwmn said it waaaay better than I did. :iagree:

RachelSS 12-01-2010 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sally-dog (Post 1159490)
One of those boas died from an infection of the reproductive tract while it was gravid... maybe IBD related, maybe not. IBD suppresses the immune system.

I remember this thread, and I remember reading what she posted as the necropsy results, which was long before the BCL. This boas death had nothing to do with IBD.

RachelSS 12-01-2010 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amercnwmn (Post 1159492)
My point being she doesn't KNOW it was an isolated incident, and didn't when she sold snakes.

That's all the point that's attempting to be made here.

You may drag in whomever you wish, but I think even a vet will agree that without testing the snakes in the collection, it can't be absolutely ruled out as "clean".
All we have is her word, which I think has proven itself to change.

Like I said, I completely understand and respect what you are saying, my point is, not one snake from two collections of 20+ snakes (Yvonne's collection is larger than Ashley's) and not one snake has died since the incident.

No, by no means, does it mean there isn't IBD lurking, or a potential. I just think it's more than likely IBD does not exist in either collection, but regardless, anyone purchasing from EITHER seller should quarantine any animals bought, regardless.

AddictedToBoas 12-01-2010 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RachelSS (Post 1159495)
I remember this thread, and I remember reading what she posted as the necropsy results, which was long before the BCL. This boas death had nothing to do with IBD.

If this is true then unless at some other point Yvonne's animals were in with Sakara's Yvonne is in the clear. As far as I know that was the only time Yvonne had given some of her snakes to Sakara for breeding and this is the incident that I think Sakara was referring to when she said Yvonne's animals were housed with hers.

Adrya 12-01-2010 07:53 PM

I'm going to come out in the open here and explain my situation here for a minute.

People most commonly seem to think that IBD ravages through collections quickly. In some cases it does, and in some cases it doesnt. From my own observations with my own snakes, quickly is not the case.

I had one of my favorite boas die in March 2009. She had a sudden severe case of pneumonia and stomatitis, and that is even what her necropsy/pathology results stated, but they also confirmed inclusion bodies (IBD) found in the liver and intestinal tissues tested.

I am not positive as to which snake was carrying the disease or how long it has been brewing, but even my strict quarantine protocols taking place in a building completely seperate from my reptile building was not enough to keep a snake from sneaking the disease into my collection, even after quarantining each new animal for over 6 months.

Since nearly two years ago, I have lost 6 snakes, two of which were voluntarily euthanized myself, and one of which I just lost this evening. I am still battling the disease.

First was the initial boa (died March 2009) that tested positive for IBD. Next was a subadult female ball python (died winter 2009-2010), my adult male blood python (died June 2010), another female boa (euthanized Oct. 2010), a male boa (euthanized Oct. 2010), and this evening (Dec. 1st) my female suriname boa. The male boa, even though he still ate and drank normally, began to severely become anorexic and lose all muscle mass over time since the death of the first initial boa. He had also developed a large tumor, which is also a side effect of IBD. He eventually became skin and bones like you wouldn't believe, and so I put him out of his misery. The same was for the other female boa (not the initial). She also became anorexic, and also had a slight odd head wobble.

In some of my other boas and a python currently, I will often see them stare straight up for long periods of time. They don't arch over their own bodies or flip over like in some more severe cases of IBD. My snakes will just stare up and will be completely unaware of my presence when I walk around the room or wave my arm at them. I will even bang my fist hard on the side of the enclosure a few times and they will be unresponsive, and it takes quite an effort to get their attention, even when opening the enclosure door. Sometimes they respond when I bang on the side of the enclosure, but much of the time it takes effort, or I even have to touch them to get them to snap out of the blank staring. Other than that, they act otherwise normal, get anxious when they smell food thawing, and eat normally.

I do not have the heart to euthanize my entire collection, so the entire reptile room is under it's own lockdown and strict quarantine. The only time snakes leave the building is if they either die or are euthanized, and any snakes that become physically/visuall ill are euthanized. I still have 5 pythons, but a couple are not the same as they were nearly two years ago, so I am keeping an eye on them. I don't even enter any of the snakes' enclosures except to clean water bowls, clean enclosures or feed them. A new pair of latex gloves are used inbetween each enclosure, for cleaning water bowls, cleaning enclosures, and feeding them. For smaller prey items I use disposable chop sticks, one new pair of chop sticks for every enclosure. For the larger prey items for the big snakes, I just use the clean pair of gloves. I use diluted bleach and Nolvasan out the ass for cleaning/disinfecting all tools and surfaces and for even washing my hands and arms with inbetween each enclosure.

In my case of IBD, it is not as severe as some other cases are. IBD has different strains that all work differently.

RachelSS 12-01-2010 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AddictedToBoas (Post 1159498)
If this is true then unless at some other point Yvonne's animals were in with Sakara's Yvonne is in the clear. As far as I know that was the only time Yvonne had given some of her snakes to Sakara for breeding and this is the incident that I think Sakara was referring to when she said Yvonne's animals were housed with hers.

I don't think this snake was paired up with one of Yvonne's. I can't be 100% for sure. I know this snake was bred BEFORE Ashley purchased her and had retained the ova from the previous breeding. I think it was an infection that was brewing in the snakes reproductive system and was stimulated by another breeding attempt.

again, don't hold me to it, Ashley and/or Yvonne would need to verify.

amercnwmn 12-01-2010 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RachelSS (Post 1159497)
Like I said, I completely understand and respect what you are saying, my point is, not one snake from two collections of 20+ snakes (Yvonne's collection is larger than Ashley's) and not one snake has died since the incident.

Actually that's wrong, according to Ashley she lost 3 snakes AFTER the incident:
Quote:

I've had 3 snakes, a burm, retic and a boa all tested after passing from unrelated causes tested by toxicology on brain, liver and intestine tissues and none had any issues... None of my snakes are sick or have any problems...
So what was the cause of death? Healthy snakes normally don't just drop dead. I already posted Dr. Jacobson's statement regarding the lack of inclusion bodies not always signifying the absence of IBD

Quote:

No, by no means, does it mean there isn't IBD lurking, or a potential. I just think it's more than likely IBD does not exist in either collection, but regardless, anyone purchasing from EITHER seller should quarantine any animals bought, regardless.
Agreed, and that's why the thread is a "INFO" thread, so people who bother to research can see there MAY be a problem.

I know you would want to know if there was the slightest chance a potential purchase of yours COULD have a problem. Quarantine or not, after what I have read people like BWSmith and others experience even with their strict quarantine, I certainly wouldn't risk it.

RachelSS 12-01-2010 07:57 PM

Adrya, I am so sorry about the loss of your collection. I wish there was something I could say or do to help. :(

RachelSS 12-01-2010 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amercnwmn (Post 1159503)
Actually that's wrong, according to Ashley she lost 3 snakes AFTER the incident:

So what was the cause of death? Healthy snakes normally don't just drop dead. I already posted Dr. Jacobson's statement regarding the lack of inclusion bodies not always signifying the absence of IBD

Agreed, and that's why the thread is a "INFO" thread, so people who bother to research can see there MAY be a problem.

I know you would want to know if there was the slightest chance a potential purchase of yours COULD have a problem. Quarantine or not, after what I have read people like BWSmith and others experience even with their strict quarantine, I certainly wouldn't risk it.

The thing that worries me with quarantine is that if there is even a CHANCE IBD can be airborne, quarantine in the same building is useless. Unless you can get from room A where the quarantine is, to room B, with showering, fresh clothes being brought to you, and being in a sterile environment, anyone who keeps boas or pythons can SERIOUSLY be screwed.

amercnwmn 12-01-2010 07:59 PM

Quote:

Actually there were some photos or a video posted by Yvonne elsewhere that showed one of her snakes in one of Ashley's bins. How said snake got there is up for debate, as neither claims knowledge of how the snake managed to get in there. I don't know how long a snake has to be WITH another snake to even get exposed to anything, but at least ONE snake was in a bin with the other's.

AddictedToBoas 12-01-2010 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RachelSS (Post 1159502)
I don't think this snake was paired up with one of Yvonne's. I can't be 100% for sure. I know this snake was bred BEFORE Ashley purchased her and had retained the ova from the previous breeding. I think it was an infection that was brewing in the snakes reproductive system and was stimulated by another breeding attempt.

Unless another boa died from breeding complications I believe this is the same instance but yes, neither me nor you can be sure. Ashley or Yvonne would have to verify times and all that wonderful stuff.

AddictedToBoas 12-01-2010 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amercnwmn (Post 1159507)
Actually there were some photos or a video posted by Yvonne elsewhere that showed one of her snakes in one of Ashley's bins. How said snake got there is up for debate, as neither claims knowledge of how the snake managed to get in there. I don't know how long a snake has to be WITH another snake to even get exposed to anything, but at least ONE snake was in a bin with the other's.

I remember that picture, I'd actually forgotten about it to be honest. It hasn't been brought up in so long.

I'm so sorry about your collection Adrya... That has to be heartbreaking.

amercnwmn 12-01-2010 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RachelSS (Post 1159506)
The thing that worries me with quarantine is that if there is even a CHANCE IBD can be airborne, quarantine in the same building is useless. Unless you can get from room A where the quarantine is, to room B, with showering, fresh clothes being brought to you, and being in a sterile environment, anyone who keeps boas or pythons can SERIOUSLY be screwed.

Pretty much! Paramyxo is just as bad. Thought I had a round of that, but 2 necropsies cleared the collection. I watched a friend lose 100 snakes in a VERY short period of time, and another with 3 snakes in over a year. One of which was euthanized after the 2nd tested positive for paramyxo.

I had a separate building at the time, and for a year snakes were kept separated in 4 rooms..and that outside building.
I waited a year to add anything else into my collection and I did so VERY slowly. It was a pain in the butt.

I know Ashley buys snakes from many different sources, sellers, shows, and Craigslist. There's been proof that some of her snakes have not been quarantined properly, and who's to say the IBD didn't come from another snake that was an asymptomatic carrier?

Adrya 12-01-2010 08:12 PM

So waiting a year before selling/buying any more snakes is not enough to think your collection is clear from IBD.

And again with my snakes and their blank staring... some snakes do that normally sometimes, but they usually should respond immediately to anything you do or if you wave at them or something. So any body who has IBD in their collection and is completely unfamiliar with its symptoms and sees some of their snakes stare up and unresponsive may not see that as a problem. Especially if the rest of the time the snakes act, eat, drink, sleep, breathe normally, etc.

SakaraGT4 12-01-2010 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amercnwmn (Post 1159409)
No, I agree, Ashley you are correct.. I hadn't even thought of that.

I just wanted to make sure it was seen... I had said it in the other thread, but I figured it would probably get missed, lol

Quote:

Originally Posted by AddictedToBoas (Post 1159415)
Bring about proof that they were housed with your animals at the time of possible infection and something should and will be posted.

The pics of their snakes in my house and with my snakes is on my hard drive... As soon as I find it I will post pictures... I'm pretty sure that Yvonne, even though we are having a small issue right now, would not deny these facts...

Quote:

Originally Posted by dustinNMpythons (Post 1159430)
Ashley, sounds like you are on the right track. From what I've read about this disease it can take quite a while for it to become apparent that an animal has it and it would only lead to more problems if it was passed on to someone elses collection. The only thing that everyone wants out of this is to not let this pass on to others. No one is looking to tarnish your name there just needs to be insurance that the infection is contained, if in fact your animals did somehow contract it. Furthermore if this other person, Yvonne's snakes have come into contact with that snake then you should probably make a thread letting people know about this as well and she needs to take the same precautions that you are taking. This seems like the HIV of the reptile world, is there anyone trying to find a cure for it at all? or at least doing extensive research on this disease?

Thank you... I understand that it is/was potentially a big deal... And while I do not believe Courtney, the OP, is "out to get me" or attempting to "trash me", I DO believe that a couple of the others are... I understand that there are ppl who have a sincere concern, I'm not denying that... But there ARE a couple who repeatedly have bashed others and have a history of being.... Less then "nice" we will say...

Quote:

Originally Posted by RachelSS (Post 1159462)
IIRC the incident happened what, almost a year ago? With IBD, it can go unnoticed longer in boas, but pythons will get it and pass substantially quicker than boas. If it's been almost a year and I KNOW she had her spider ball python BEFORE the infected BCL, and the carpet python she has, reticulated pythons, and ball python are still alive, it sounds like the isolated case is just that - isolated.

i've been reading and re-reading info on IBD and every vet site and reptile site I've read (Courtney posted links in another thread as well) say that pythons that contract IBD pass faster than boas.

I've had almost all my pythons before the BCL got here... The spider ball, the 2 dwarf het albino retics, Haze my mainland lav retic... and the majority of the boas I have as well...

Quote:

Originally Posted by RachelSS (Post 1159471)
I'm going to put it out there - Ashley and I ARE friends, and I do think some of this has gone overboard, I have also told Ashley that she has made a mistake with all of this broadcasting of her own personal information.

Now that everything is out there, I do not think she has a case of IBD in her collection. I can also vouch that she would take one of her snakes to the vet in a heart beat if there was an issue. Setting aside financial discrepancies people are bringing up, I can honestly say that she DOES have good intentions.

Carry on.

yes... And I DO plan to get liver biopsies to HOPEFULLY at least shed some 'proof' that there is no issue... As I said before, I need to find one that will do it on a live snake... Because I refuse to put down my collection unless I have an undisputed SOLID reason to do so... "IF" or "POSSIBLE" is not enough for me to put down my snakes

Quote:

Originally Posted by amercnwmn (Post 1159484)

Unfortunately, this is the only report I could find... I did post pics and stuff from the necropsy on Ruby, the boa with the pyrometra infection... Pyrometra has nothing to do with IBD, you can ask any vet about the causes... It just happens sometimes... More common in cats and dogs and you will have symptoms in mammals who have it, but it's hard if not impossible to diagnose in a snake while it's alive...

Burm report... YES, I DID tell my vet about the BCL issue and asked specifically that they look for inclusions... They did and none were found... This is what they found in the burm
http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/1448/burmreport.jpg

Quote:

Ruby passed early this year... After the BCL... The BCL passed in November and we introduced Moose, her double het snow with Ruby in October... So he was here in with ruby when the BCL was in the house... They moved in in early-ish December but some of her snakes were moved down a little eariler if I remember correctly... Her anery, Toki was also in with my jungley looking girl in early spring when he started rubbing his nose... He was in there for... a few weeks to a month or so... The het albino boas that were NOT housed in the same room as the BCL as someone thought, WERE housed in a white rack in the room they were keeping their snakes in...

Quote:

Originally Posted by RachelSS (Post 1159502)

Yes, the snake that died of the pyrometra, Ruby, WAS paired with one of Yvonne's snakes, Moose, her double het snow... He DID indeed get her pregnant and the infection, pyrometra, destroyed the ova and killed her... Moose is also the father to her future moonglow litter to her triple het female, Lola

amercnwmn 12-01-2010 08:32 PM

Oh no, I would NOT suggest anyone euthanize their animal based on a suspicion!

Even if the snake is suffering, or has been diagnosed with a terminal illness, that is entirely something that has to be the owner's choice. It's a hard choice. I have had to euthanize pets and a snake...sucks.

I don't know if someone suggested that to you, or why you felt that was something expected of you or if you just mentioned it..But NO..that's entirely YOUR choice and should be done, IMO at your discretion.

SakaraGT4 12-01-2010 08:39 PM

it was suggested to me by a couple ppl... and I just couldn't do it... I had to make the choice to put my burm down and I cried the entire time... It was devastating... and I thank God that there were no issues with her other than the liver failure...

IF I had liver biopsies on an animal and it showed positive or if an animal I had was suffering for WHATEVER reason and there was no way to cure it, yes, I would do it... And as I stated, I am going to try to find a local-ish vet to do some liver biopsies on a couple snakes, at least to start a couple, python and boa alike... I expect for them to not find anything, but I will post that when I get it done...

I just refuse to do that unless it's necessary... If I put down all my babies only to find that there truly was nothing... I would be devastated...

AddictedToBoas 12-01-2010 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SakaraGT4 (Post 1159537)
it was suggested to me by a couple ppl... and I just couldn't do it... I had to make the choice to put my burm down and I cried the entire time... It was devastating... and I thank God that there were no issues with her other than the liver failure...

IF I had liver biopsies on an animal and it showed positive or if an animal I had was suffering for WHATEVER reason and there was no way to cure it, yes, I would do it... And as I stated, I am going to try to find a local-ish vet to do some liver biopsies on a couple snakes, at least to start a couple, python and boa alike... I expect for them to not find anything, but I will post that when I get it done...

I just refuse to do that unless it's necessary... If I put down all my babies only to find that there truly was nothing... I would be devastated...

I don't blame you for not wanting to put down all your animals, no one should do that. There's no guarantee all of your animals would have caught it or that it spread to them.

Good luck with your tests.

Adrya 12-01-2010 08:49 PM

For those who haven't seen my first initial post in this thread, back up to page 3. Thanks.

Those necropsy results are only lacking inclusion bodies. Everything else (except the Chlamydia.. that's just weird) reeks of IBD to me. The stomatitis, lack of locomotion and motor skills, weight loss, appetite loss, and inability to right itself are all signs of IBD. No other disease that I know of creates stomatitis together with a number of those other signs like that. IBD can kill a snake without leaving behind inclusion bodies... or at least, very few which can be undetected in pathology tests.

IBD severely suppresses the immune system so even bacteria or parasites that may be at normal levels in a snake because of the immune system keeping them in check may explode in lethal numbers when the immune system is depressed.