FaunaClassifieds

FaunaClassifieds (https://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/index.php)
-   SOUND OFF!!! (https://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=466)
-   -   This just TICKS me off!!! (https://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38389)

Darin Chappell 05-06-2004 10:22 AM

This just TICKS me off!!!

I hate it when people are so stupid, but that they bring the heat down on the rest of us makes it even worse! Jail time ought to be in their immediate future, but I doubt we'll be so fortunate.

Link

jenn_jeffery 05-06-2004 11:37 AM

here's the article for when the link goes dead...

GERMANTOWN, Wis. — It was a stench of decay that caused authorities to search an apartment in suburban Milwaukee

They found a home crawling with life: About 200 creatures — including alligators, scorpions and carnivorous beetles — formed a bizarre menagerie kept alive by a woman who fed them roadkill.

"The smell was just unbelievable," said William Mitchell, a state conservation warden who found about 70 ducks cramped in a basement pen with droppings covering the floor. "It was really stinking. ... It made my eyes water."

Neighbors had complained about the foul smell.

Animal carcasses were in a freezer and decaying carcasses were in an adjacent garage. Among the dead animals were raccoons, rabbits, opossums and squirrels.

Jamie L. Verburgt, the apartment resident, was given two state citations for possessing game animals out of season, Mitchell said. Verburgt's phone number is unlisted.

"She said they were car kills," Mitchell said. "I warned her that it is illegal to take dead animals off the side of a road. ... The dead animals were used to feed the live animals, and some were given to flesh-eating beetles."

Among the other live animals found were snakes, rats, turtles and toads.

The live animals were seized by the Washington County Humane Society, pending investigation by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, Mitchell said.

Mitchell said federal wildlife officials plan to investigate those who sold animals to Verburgt through the Internet.

"She intended to sell the animals to pet stores," he said.

Verburgt's boyfriend, John Walters, was prosecuted in 2000 for mistreatment of exotic animals.

At that time, police found a female cougar, female leopard, silver-tailed fox, monitor lizard, two caracals, a coatimundi, chinchilla and a reticulated python in Walter's apartment in Greenfield, another Milwaukee suburb.

TurtleManiac24 05-06-2004 01:29 PM

That's one of the most DISGUSTING things I have ever read! I agree with Darin that such people should be persecuted to the fullest extent of the law. We had a somewhat similar case with a lady in a town nearby who kept all sorts of cats just crawling around her place. Dead ones were found in her freezer. But people like her get off almost scott free, after something like a fine or two.
It also sickens me though that people who are obviously very sick in the head get little to no mental help. I mean who in their right mind would keep venemous animals just crawling around their house and feed all sorts of "road kill" to them? Obviously she is very disturbed, and I would say she needs some sort of medical attention/intervention. Yuck...