FaunaClassifieds

FaunaClassifieds (https://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Herp Talk (https://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=609)
-   -   Non-native species? (https://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=534620)

WebSlave 06-19-2015 08:56 PM

Non-native species?

This topic is being discussed in another thread, so I figured I would try to clear up some confusion in my own mind about the term "non-native".

What exactly defines an organism as being "non-native"? Physical boundaries being crossed intentionally or accidentally? Human hands must be involved? Or can any other organism that introduces another organism to some place it has never lived before play too? Is there some time limit as to when any "natural" form (whatever that might be) of migration of a species has to have already taken place before the door that considers them as being "native" is shut?

Seriously, this has always puzzled me. Sort of like the designation of "locality" animals. Are there any definitions that are not just arbitrary in nature, and push come to shove, a definition made up by a species that is itself non-native in most of the habitat it is now found in?

snowgyre 06-19-2015 09:56 PM

Nonnative has a variety of definitions. In general, the definition that wildlife biologists use is synonymous with exotic, e.g. a species that was either accidentally or intentionally introduced by humans to a novel area and/or environment. Nonnative by itself does not necessarily equate to bad, as many of our crops and domesticated animals are, by definition, nonnative.

In contrast, animals and plants that have undergone natural expansions into novel areas and/or habitats are generally managed as natives, unless those expansions were facilitated by human development. For example, cattle egrets got here by themselves all the way from Africa and are a recent addition to North American fauna (in the last 50 years).

Examples of nonnative species include woodchucks, coyotes, and armadillos. All have expanded into the southeastern United States due to anthropomorphic changes in habitat and/or social dynamics which allowed their establishment into new areas. Woodchucks utilized road corridors and other rights-of-way to expand into the Southeast and rarely occur outside these habitats. Armadillos are weird and I don't know their history. Historically, red wolves prevented coyotes from expanding into the Southeast, but with the human-led extirpation (and functional extinction from the wild) of the red wolf, coyotes expanded into an area that was vacant of a large canid carnivore. This has led to some challenges with white-tailed deer, wild turkey, and northern bobwhite management, so the coyote is considered (by some, mainly those in game management) as a nonnative predator.

LauraB 06-20-2015 12:21 AM

Excellent post/explanation, Vanessa.

Helenthereef 06-20-2015 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LauraB (Post 1828550)
Excellent post/explanation, Vanessa.

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

TheHonestPirate1 12-01-2015 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WebSlave (Post 1828486)
This topic is being discussed in another thread, so I figured I would try to clear up some confusion in my own mind about the term "non-native".

What exactly defines an organism as being "non-native"? Physical boundaries being crossed intentionally or accidentally? Human hands must be involved? Or can any other organism that introduces another organism to some place it has never lived before play too? Is there some time limit as to when any "natural" form (whatever that might be) of migration of a species has to have already taken place before the door that considers them as being "native" is shut?

Seriously, this has always puzzled me. Sort of like the designation of "locality" animals. Are there any definitions that are not just arbitrary in nature, and push come to shove, a definition made up by a species that is itself non-native in most of the habitat it is now found in?

Hello snark.

Sent from my C6725 using Tapatalk

Lucille 01-16-2016 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheHonestPirate1 (Post 1872638)
Hello snark.

Are you using this comment to refer to an imaginary animal, or what?

NIGRO51 01-16-2016 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheHonestPirate1 (Post 1872638)
Hello snark.

There must be something that I am missing here..

LauraB 01-21-2016 01:41 AM

LOL, it's nothing more than a snarky comment from a snarky user with a dubious rep. Not even clever.

WebSlave 01-21-2016 02:27 AM

Beats me.. :shrug01: Maybe I have an unknown admirer or something. Probably "or something"......

Lucille 01-21-2016 03:23 AM

When I first read the comment I too thought it was just a mean spirited comment. Then, I looked up the word 'snark' and one of the meanings is 'imaginary animal'. So it is possible that this poster is agreeing that a 'locality' or 'non-native' animal may be an imaginary distinction in some cases.