FaunaClassifieds

FaunaClassifieds (https://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/index.php)
-   Field Collecting/Observing (https://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=459)
-   -   Any luck in PA yet? (https://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77410)

dirty_harry 03-26-2006 11:26 PM

Any luck in PA yet?

OK, i know that the weather has been less than optimum for finding herps (specifically snakes) in PA, but what can I say, I can't take it anymore! The past two weekends i have gone out for at least a few hours to go herping and I haven't found squat yet. I am compulsively flipping over every board and log I can find (regardlessof where I am), with the hopes that maybe, just MAYBE there will be something there. Ugh... I can't take the wait any longer!!! Has anyone in the area had any luck yet?

tandy4000 03-27-2006 05:04 PM

I feel the same. I've been out about 3 weekends in a row and all that I found was a redback sally. The weather has been cruddy though, so that's probably why. Good luck to ya :)

reptilebreeder 03-27-2006 05:45 PM

Patience young grasshopper :D Same here in central CA. It's been unusually cold and wet here. I think that bodes well for the future season, but it sucks for now. Are you not even able to turn any salamanders or other "cold" type stuff?

dirty_harry 03-27-2006 08:33 PM

lol, ok, so its not something i am doing wrong then. I know the weather has been really brutal, so my hopes haven't been too high, but last year by this time I had a few good finds already!!! I guess part of the problem is I am really passionate about this type of stuff, so its hard to not get really impatient! I was surprised a few years back when i was doing the same (moping that I hadn't found SQUAT yet) and I kicked over a dead log and found a really amazing looking Eastern Rat'ler... Needless to say, i almost crapped a brick for more than one reason, LOL! It was really an exceptional looking animal ::sighs:: I CAN'T TAKE THE WAIT ANYMORE!!! :scatter:

TrpnBils 04-01-2006 06:06 PM

I've had luck with salamanders so far, but not with snakes unfortunately

dirty_harry 04-03-2006 11:17 AM

well, that is a good sign... anybody else? Am i the only one with "ants in the pants" about this? :lol:

Traci1 04-03-2006 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirty_harry
well, that is a good sign... anybody else? Am i the only one with "ants in the pants" about this? :lol:

Well I didn't have any ants in MY pants until I read your posts! Yesterday I looked around my parents property for a good amount of time and didn't find a thing. My dad says it's too early for snakes. I don't know, I've never tried this before! I'm going to ask permission from one of their neighbors to see if I can snoop around their pond some time.

dirty_harry 04-03-2006 04:01 PM

lol, yeah, its probably still a bit early, but i have found them this early before, so i would rather that its lack of snakes, not lack of effort that are leading me to come up empty handed. :toetap05: But even still, the wait is just killing me! Must..... Find...... snakes...... NOW............................................... ............ :detonate:

tandy4000 04-03-2006 06:47 PM

Luck In Pa!!!

I was out herping today right after some thunderstorms when I found a vernal pond in the woods. As I approached, I heard the distinctive call of the wood frog. All the frogs dove under the leaf litter but they left behind three bulbous egg masses!!:dancer01: I sat for about ten minutes and the frogs came back out and had a little concert for me!! YES! :hurray: :hurray: :D :D
I'm going back later this week to see if I can grab a tadpole or two. I got some pics, but they weren't digital, so I'll have to post when they get developed.

bsharrah 04-04-2006 12:02 PM

Wood turtle sited

We have a small stream behind our home here in Indiana, PA which is typically infested with wood turtles and snappers throughout the spring and summer. This weekend I took a stroll out back and saw one wood turtle basking along the bank but not for very long after it saw me.

This weekend should be very nice considering they are calling for snow showers this week. I am hoping to get back there with my wife's camera.

Bart