FaunaClassifieds

FaunaClassifieds (https://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/index.php)
-   Field Collecting/Observing (https://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=459)
-   -   Herpin' in IL. Is this a milk, prairie king or eastern fox? (https://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=204613)

dpfecarotta 10-11-2010 10:57 PM

Herpin' in IL. Is this a milk, prairie king or eastern fox?

2 Attachment(s)
Ok so this will be my thread for the Herping I have done, specifically and limited to my experience from early september and thereafter. I will come back and type my story in more length.

In the meantime, I have to hit the Gym. Here is a guy I found at my local state park. He was under a trash can lying on the dirt underneath. It was considerably dry underneath and i could barely tolerate fingertipping the drum cuz it was dead in the sun.

So, what do you guys think. At first i thought Eastern Fox snake, but not anymore. Here in our herpetology lab we are debating, my professor thinks its Lampropeltis Triangulum or Lampropeltis calligaster. I think its the latter. I can recall the body being "loaf-like" in cross-section terms. The scales may very well have been lightly keeled. I was so excited that I took a bunch of pictures but never slowed down to actually take down observations for identifying. I was focused on picturing the animal and then returning it ASAP as to minimize energy loss and whatnot.

Tim Cole 10-12-2010 01:12 PM

That's a Prairie King.

dodgedart 10-12-2010 09:56 PM

Prairie King.

LampropeltisCollector 12-21-2010 08:47 PM

Yup Lampropeltis calligaster calligaster it is! nice snake!

mxracer4life 12-23-2010 01:18 PM

Definitely a Prairie king. Catch em all the time down here in Southern IL. Further down south they tend to be more Grey and washed out.

Beardiefreak26 03-16-2011 10:35 PM

where in southern Illinois do you guys catch this beautiful snakes all i can ever find is red sided garters and three lined garters and a few black rat snakes and i live in Edwards county right by Evansville Indiana

GreenTreePython13 03-30-2011 05:31 PM

Like the others said, Prairie King

mxracer4life 04-04-2011 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beardiefreak26 (Post 1230663)
where in southern Illinois do you guys catch this beautiful snakes all i can ever find is red sided garters and three lined garters and a few black rat snakes and i live in Edwards county right by Evansville Indiana

I find them more around marsh type areas or around lakes/ponds. I know they are common in large fields as well. Very hard to find, tend to burrown under vegetation and such. I do a lot of fishing, and always seem to find them around ponds/lakes. While keeping one under observation a couple years ago, it would only eat small frogs, lizards or snakes, never would take a small mouse.