FaunaClassifieds

FaunaClassifieds (https://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussions (https://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   How are coati's with children and other pets? (https://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=313760)

hezan1 04-24-2012 04:44 AM

How are coati's with children and other pets?

I'm pretty sold on getting a coati, but I do have a 10 year old boy, and a dog. Does anyone have any first hand experience on how a coati will do with a child and other pets?

hadenglock 04-24-2012 09:24 PM

I wouldnt recommend a coati for somebody with a dog and kid. Coati i knew had a thing for trying to chase down my friends dogs, and i wouldnt trust him around a 10 year old. Coati's are skittish and unpredictable if not trained properly

LadyViper 04-28-2012 11:45 PM

I own many coatis....Coatis to do not like barking dogs. However it's just the bark sound, mine have grown up with my two German shepherds and they play together. Coatis do not train, coatis each have their own personality. I have some that are calm cuddle bugs. I have some that are playful and monkey like little clowns. None of mine are vicious. Your boy is 10 and he must be trained not to tease and do the things that stress your coati. A coati is not a domestic animal but, with proper care anyone can own one. You have to take care and do your research. Coatis are awesome pets. They are fulltime pets. They need your attention and supervision. Coatis do best in calm and less noisy environments. Your welcome to go to my website and read up on some of the caresheet information I have written. I have kept coatis for many years. I can also help you find one. Do not buy a coati from a pet store in store in Houston. In my opinion the best coati breeder and vet is in Northeast Texas. Dr. Cathy Cranmore. I have mentored with her for years. I hope some of that helps.

carrie777 04-29-2012 10:08 AM

Coati's can be great pets, BUT I agree with the barking dog thing! I had one and she was very used to the dogs and such, but I was pet sitting one that was not, but it was very friendly. I was in the pen with the pet sat one and a dog started barking, and it jumped onto my shoulder, ok, I can deal, but then it bit me in the head (6 stitches) and then the arm, puncturing an artery (26 stitches). Cranmoore is a GREAT breeder and will fill you in on everything you want to know about them!

hadenglock 04-30-2012 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carrie777 (Post 1449500)
Coati's can be great pets, BUT I agree with the barking dog thing! I had one and she was very used to the dogs and such, but I was pet sitting one that was not, but it was very friendly. I was in the pen with the pet sat one and a dog started barking, and it jumped onto my shoulder, ok, I can deal, but then it bit me in the head (6 stitches) and then the arm, puncturing an artery (26 stitches). Cranmoore is a GREAT breeder and will fill you in on everything you want to know about them!

LOL i rest my case :rofl:

LadyViper 04-30-2012 07:34 PM

You made no point here. This person was in a pen with a coati that was not hers. This is not proper safety protocol for a pet sitter for any animal. Coatis are very bonded with there familys and I do not recommend "pet sitting a coati" unless it's with an experienced coati person. A coati is not a dog. If you understand coatis they are easy to deal with. Exotics are not domestic animals and never will be. (no offense to the person in question, you aren't on trail here and mistakes can happen )

carrie777 05-07-2012 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LadyViper (Post 1450254)
You made no point here. This person was in a pen with a coati that was not hers. This is not proper safety protocol for a pet sitter for any animal. Coatis are very bonded with there familys and I do not recommend "pet sitting a coati" unless it's with an experienced coati person. A coati is not a dog. If you understand coatis they are easy to deal with. Exotics are not domestic animals and never will be. (no offense to the person in question, you aren't on trail here and mistakes can happen )

While I agree wth Pam, I am an experienced coati owner, and was actually sitting this one for a friend- I had known the coati since it was 3 weeks old. The point I was trying to make is ACCIDENTS HAPPEN! And too many people are too quick to blame the animal.

LadyViper 05-07-2012 07:50 PM

Carrie., I am so sorry..I hated to drag you into that and understood the point you wanted to make.

carrie777 05-07-2012 09:17 PM

coati

It is ok Pam. I understand. When the coati bit me, she went through an artery, and I was rushed to the ER. FORTUNATELY they were able to fix me up and after a few days in the hospital, I went home. I never had another bad experience.BUT all exotics are not "domesticated" like a dog or a cat. Even birds can bite! I encourage people to do some HARD research and think seriously before getting any pet.