FaunaClassifieds

FaunaClassifieds (https://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/index.php)
-   Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services (https://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=107)
-   -   Lab Equipment (https://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73819)

Lucille 11-30-2005 08:38 PM

Lab Equipment

After looking at all the amazing successes folks are having hatching out lil baby geckos I decided that I would see if I could hatch a few babies too on account of all the new geckos I have that can perhaps be bred one day.

I already had got shoeboxes for the babies to live in. I knew most people used incubators for their gecko eggs so I reckoned I needed on of those.

I looked around the internet, and some places that sell stuff like Petri dishes and so on, and saw all sorts of incubators, and I settled on a small, reliable laboratory incubator, a Lab-line.

What amazed me was the absolute plethora of sophisticated laboratory equipment available to private buyers. Someone could set up their own research laboratory with no problem, there were automatic stirrers and Erlenmayer flasks and all manner of sophisticated analytical equipment and supplies.

Where does all that stuff come from? There are apparently enough private buyers to support the sales of new and used lab equipment, I would think that because of the expense that mainly companies and medical/research institutions would purchase these items.

Junkyard 12-01-2005 09:25 AM

I am a lab director myself, it really is amazing at all that is out there for the public. A lot of new offices that open purchase new equipment which is why their is such a large market for new technology in the labs. Some great products are from Germany.

In my lab we went with completely used equipment(save a load of money too), some being 20 years old and running like new. Along with all the companies building new stuff, there are also emerging many companies that specialize in refurbishing old equipment. I use one company based out of San Diego and one in Texas. These little companies are all over in many states and a lot of other countries. These little companies also play around with making their own line of products because they get into more offices than the large compaines do.

Lucille 12-01-2005 09:36 AM

Michael, I should have checked with you first, I did not realize I had such a resource available here!!!
In your opinion is a Lab-line a good choice? It was not extremely expensive but looked like it would do a good job and hold a selected temp well.

nativecollector 12-01-2005 09:49 AM

What are the names of some of these companies that deal in used lab items?

nativecollector 12-01-2005 10:00 AM

well check this out, I decided to do a quick search just to see what came back, here it is
http://www.labx.com/v2/newad.cfm?CatID=22

That link is to just the incubators alone, some starting at $1.00, WOW!

Cat_72 12-01-2005 10:10 AM

LOL, I looked through some of those Patrick.....looks like it may be a good deal, but most of the cheap ones are over 400 pounds!! It'd cost a small fortune to ship it, I would think......

nativecollector 12-01-2005 10:36 AM

well if I can buy one of them for a dollar, I will drive over to get it. LOL

Junkyard 12-02-2005 11:31 AM

I really have no opinion on incubators, the biggest thing to look for with places that sell these is the guarantee that goes along with the equipment. If there is a guarantee that is the best way to go. If there is not a guarantee then I would say to stay away, cost to fix these when they break down can be a lot. Shipping the heavy stuff are usually about $400.

Lab equipment is very precise, if you do go with one you will probably be very happy. Though it is stuff you really would want to see in person.

Lucille 12-02-2005 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cat_72
LOL, I looked through some of those Patrick.....looks like it may be a good deal, but most of the cheap ones are over 400 pounds!! It'd cost a small fortune to ship it, I would think......

Those must be some big momma incubators (for dinosaurs maybe?) :rofl:
I got a compact model which looks like plenty of room, it even has one shelf, they let me know it was on the way, shipping was around twenty bucks but I told them it was OK by me for them to ship ground which takes a little longer but is cheaper.

MGReptiles 12-03-2005 12:48 AM

Lucille you have a link to the bator you bought? Thanks