FaunaClassifieds

FaunaClassifieds (https://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/index.php)
-   Flora For Sale/Wanted Ads & Trades (https://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=799)
-   -   The ALL NEW Fauna FREE seed Gift and Exchange (https://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78512)

Lucille 04-14-2006 06:39 PM

The ALL NEW Fauna FREE seed Gift and Exchange

I am starting a seed/gift/exchange thread here and I would appreciate if y'all Fauna gardeners could donate a few seeds too.
For my seeds, I am limiting them to contributing members on account of I think I want to do my part to honor those who support Fauna :)
I recently send off for gourd seeds and they have arrived. These are large gourds, the kind you dry and paint and make into bird houses or other decorations. I have enough to give the first 4 contributing members who post below 2 seeds of each kind, which are:
Bushel Basket
Martin House
Indonesion Lump-in-neck (I am not making this up)
and Mexican Bottle
That's eight seeds/person but from what I read these are prolific and large plants.
So post below if you want them, I will likely not send them out until Tuesday because of Easter but you should get them by next weekend.
Those of you who garden, and could share a few seeds, please post them on this thread. If you are looking for particular kinds of seeds and want a trade for your seeds you can specify that also in your post.

Rebel Dragons 04-14-2006 06:51 PM

Great idea, Lucille.

I have sitting here in front of me a packet of impatiens, coleus, zinnias (2), purple salvia and red salvia. I have all of the annuals I want for the year started already and have these left over.

Anyone who wants them let me know.

dragonflyreptiles 04-19-2006 06:07 PM

I have lots of wysteria vines around, I can nip and a mail some to anyone that wants any!

Rebel Dragons 04-21-2006 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rebel Dragons

I have sitting here in front of me a packet of impatiens, coleus, zinnias (2), purple salvia and red salvia.

Gone, gone, gone....... Enjoy em, Jackie

Lucille 04-21-2006 08:29 PM

The gourd seeds also are gone to school friends.

CRGriffin 04-21-2006 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dragonflyreptiles
I have lots of wysteria vines around, I can nip and a mail some to anyone that wants any!

Also I counted today and have over 100 12" to 24" viable plants taking over so if anyone wants any just let me know, Ill go a digging and mailing!

CRGriffin 04-21-2006 09:30 PM

This is Wendy's husband, sorry to those that don't know that. I am going to mow these over in a few weeks if they are not gone.

Lucille 04-21-2006 09:39 PM

Charles,
You have a wonderful wife! :)

dragonflyreptiles 04-22-2006 03:51 PM

Lucille, you are sweet, I told him that if he was goign to mow them down he had to post it lol

Christina Vincent 03-01-2012 10:43 AM

What a Good Idea Lucille!

I did read contributing members...I am only extending an offer, I do not want anything in return! I have acres of beautiful species of plants, MANY flowering vines (orange/white/pink/yellow depending on the vine), MANY bamboo roots with shoots startin already, Elephant ear plants (large root like a sweet potato BIG beautiful leaves) and Surprise Lily bulbs by the hundreds lol. All of these ship pretty well if anyone is interested but do need a mild winter to thrive year round. I have dozens of different species of tropical plants around and sell many locally, but I am willing to share any of these plants with fellow Fauna Members for FREE if they are just looking to add to their gardens. :) Just let me know. I don't mind paying a lil bit of shipping to have a fellow plant lover add to a garden (but please for the sake of my wallet small requests at a time lol I do have PLENTY to go around tho, acres lol)

Christina Vincent 03-01-2012 10:45 AM

hahahahaha totally did not look at the dates O.o so IF any of this is still goin on still feel free to contact me

catherine carney 03-26-2012 08:42 AM

Hi Christina--

I didn't look at dates either, but think it would be a good idea to restart! I'm a bit (OK, a lot) colder than you, but still plenty of plants to share, either natives or starts from the houseplants and aquariums....Any idea how this should work?

Lucille 03-26-2012 08:56 AM

Christina what a great idea to start this up again!!

Christina Vincent 03-26-2012 09:14 AM

Omg! Lol I got so excited seein those posts lol. I have TONS of plant life avail. I live in the south on 12 acres of incredible land half of which is still wild. We clear land constantly andthe 1st yrs we just hacked everything down. Recent years I started digging things up n relocating for gardens and selling to put money back into the property. I am happy to share so many variaties of things. I have sample boxes I ship to customers regularly and am happy to share diff kinds for free with Fauna members. This is new to me tho so humor my clumbsiness gettin started.

Christina Vincent 03-26-2012 09:19 AM

4 Attachment(s)
My Sagos are producing like crazy! I have Sago seeds (with pulp or I can de-pulp them). I have Sago palm pup 5yr olds to last yrs crop of lil guys. I used the small pups in my terrariums for years after I sprouted them. They aren't for everyone but I love them for so many reasons! I have small care sheets too I can send to help get someone started.

catherine carney 03-26-2012 09:38 AM

I've got Ohio farmland, riparian meadows and woods. Native wildflowers and lots of ornamentals and heirlooms--mostly hardy stuff that the darn deer won't eat. Need to split perennials and can ship them over the next month, and can save seeds over the season for fall shipment....

Here's the hardy stuff I know is available:
crabapple seedlings (< 4", colors unknown, found under existing trees)
Monarda didyma hybrids (mostly lavendars/purples/pinks, don't know what clump is what color right now)
Pixwell gooseberries (suckers from existing plants that need to be thinned)
Celandine poppy (native wildflower, not the cultivated form)--plants now, seeds later
Ostrich ferns (these can be invasive--not as bad as bamboo, but they do run and take over)
Snowball Viburnum (Viburnum carlecephalum, suckers off of existing large shrubs)
Common Lilac (the old fashioned fragrant one, suckers from the main clump that needs to be thinned).
Hardy water lilies (pink?)--the clumps in the goldfish ponds need to be thinned
Blue flowered Arrow leafed plant (name escapes me, I'll look it up, great marginal plant)

There's a lot more out there, but this is what comes to mind quickly. I'll put together a more complete list later today if people are interested.

The way the aquarium clubs I belong to work these trades is that the sender pays shipping for the items in the box. Is that at all similar to here?

catherine carney 03-26-2012 09:40 AM

Christina--

Love your sagos! What's their care?

Christina Vincent 03-26-2012 10:02 AM

One of the reasons these guys appeal to me so is simple annual maintaince. I know they are cold hardy...my mom is in CT but keeps them inside as houseplants. They are slow growers but I just love the ever green dark leaves.
The adults; Every winter I trim back a row or 2 of leaves from the bottom up. Not needed but helps with harvesting seeds and pups and prevents leaves from touchin the ground (we have them near a pool and Sagos are Sharp. I don't water them but once a month, a good soaking is the rains haven't done it.

The pups care is simple to. Put the pup in to a container only about 2" bigger round than the pup and bury half of it with a rich soil so no fertilizing is needed. Soak it with a good water when the soil is dry. Leaves sprout from a pup for me here in a few weeks usually. I am takin photos of the whole process as I am doin it all again this year lol like a photo journal of my breeding sagos lol.

For seed care; the seeds have a "fruit" around them - bad word - pulp is better. Sagos are toxic so "fruit" is a bad example the trade uses imo. N e way... After ripened on the mother sago, I collect them (OWIE she doesn't give um up nicely lol) them I test them in water to check if they're fertile. (Floaters and rattlers are bunk - unfertile teases you'll wait months for and they're duds) so the good ones go into a bucket of fresh water for 3-4 days soaking. Change water daily. Put on some gloves after they've soaked and peel away the pulp. I take a flat container, fill it with soil about 3/4 full and then press a cleaned seed on its SIDE into the soil so just the top is showing. I can fit 50 seeds in a small flat to sprout. I water if the soil is Dry only. Seeds take about 45 days here for me. Sagos like tight spaces for the 1st decade of life.

Lucille 03-26-2012 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by catherine carney (Post 1436156)

The way the aquarium clubs I belong to work these trades is that the sender pays shipping for the items in the box. Is that at all similar to here?

I don't think there is a policy but that sounds good if it is a RAOK. If it is a trade then I guess each party would just pay to ship their own package.

Christina Vincent 03-26-2012 10:22 AM

Because I'm craigslistin I don't have to ship often. But recently I have shipped to MS,NV and CT and for less than $5 so I just covered shippin in the cost. Bein that these aren't "boxed larger orders" I don't mind covering shipping under $5 for now...love the flat rate boxes for sagos lol

Christina Vincent 03-26-2012 10:30 AM

If you don't have anything to trade I am still willing to share...if you do feel like sharing or trading I am really wanting some Color/flowers on the property! Lol I have all sorts of plants/vines and get some color in the spring, but I want lasting blooms and lots of them! So is it better to make a list of what's avail on my end and post it? Should pics go with the list? and then people respond to that? I posted the sagos cuz I have it on hand- tis my season lol -

Lucille 03-26-2012 10:35 AM

As well as here there is a site called Garden Web and they have specific forums just for trading stuff among their other forums.
If you want lots of color while you look for plants, I'd like to recommend Wildseed Farms. I have a patch of wildflowers sprouting right now and past purchases from them have netted wonderful big patches of colorful flowers, and their prices are reasonable.

Christina Vincent 03-26-2012 10:38 AM

That's awesome! I will def check that out! Thanx

catherine carney 03-26-2012 11:02 AM

Hi all--

Christina--definitely would like to trade/purchase a couple of sago pups or seeds. I don't know how heat tolerant the monarda (bergamot mint is one of the names) is, but it's colorful and the blooms attracts honeybees, butterflies, and hummingbirds all summer for me. Do you happen to know what climate zone Baton Rouge is in (we're USDA Hardiness zone 5 or 6, depending on which map you look at). I suspect you're probably zone 8 or 9....Do you have any interest in scarlet trumpet vine?? It's native, can be invasive, climbs (around here) to 30', and hummingbirds love the flowers. You can e-mail me at catherinecarney2000@yahoo.com and let's see what I can send you for color.

Lucille--thanks for the shipping info. It's what I meant, didn't phrase it well.

Christina Vincent 03-26-2012 11:47 AM

Lol no interest in vines- tho I have 26 diff species throughout the property and been fighting them for years but thank u, I am also happy to provide photos of the diff ones I have around if people are interested. I think I'm in zone 9? I'd have to check but I've been able to grow everything here lol usually year round, our winters are usually in the 50s but wildlife adapted and flowers still fade through fall and i'd love serious color while doin fall clean ups! (The trees here shed all 4 seasons - I have amazing young saplings of oaks/loquats/magnolias)
The sago seeds are free for fauna members ;-) I've been lookin the last few days on to posting ads here on fauna for them but the dates were....dated, so I stuck to craigslist but I plan on becomin a contributing member soon $$ wise and should be able to post ads for this years crop of tropicals and large plant/seed orders. But ya- until then a donation to members in small quantities I am happy to provide!

Christina Vincent 03-26-2012 12:30 PM

I am shipping out an order for someone this afternoon, since I'll be at the post office anyway, do u want me to send you some seeds and a cpl small pups today? PM or email me your address and I'll send a lil instruction sheet with um, basically what I covered it in a previous post tho, for me its that simple with these guys.

Christina Vincent 03-26-2012 01:06 PM

Would you like some Lucille? That post should have been plural :)

Christina Vincent 03-26-2012 01:31 PM

http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...p?albumid=2148

I think (hope) that link goes to my pic album of plants on my profile lol
These are a few diff plants I have crazy ABUNDANCE of. Large orders I have only done pick ups.

catherine carney 03-26-2012 02:04 PM

Hi Christina--

just sent you an e-mail--hope I did it right (new to all of this). If you wish to contact me, you can e-mail at catherinecarney2000@yahoo.com

I'll see what I've got for colorful flowers for you--even if you're as warm as zone 9 a lot of this stuff should adapt. I do have monkshood, which blooms in late fall here with 4' spikes of dark blue flowers and the deer leave it alone (it's pretty toxic, so handle with care when planting and wash up well afterwards). Just let me know and we'll figure out what works for you!

Loquats and oaks (are they live oaks??) sound interesting, too.

Christina Vincent 03-26-2012 07:37 PM

Catherine, I dropped a small box of sago seeds in the mail to you today :) you should have them this week. I'll email you the care sheets. I totally did not put them in the box when I shipped it O.o sorry!

We have giant river oaks sprinkled throughout the property and I have never gotten ALL the acorns lol so lil trees pop up everywhere. Some I leave, some I chop down, sometimes they hide til rooted well and I let um have it if they wanna fight the bamboo lol

The Loquat trees are large fuzzy leafed fruit trees. They have a sweet lil orange fruit with Big seeds in it but they're good, and the birds flock for um here-I love the song birds so we have extra "bird trees" we let grow just to let them feed...I have tons of these small trees/sprouts/saplings. I gad a few out in northern cali too growing up. My friend keeps them in large containers next to her garage and still gets fruit from them which I thought was kewl. I can grow everything but veggies lmao and I have the most beautiful garden area for it just was a big fat failure at it lol but Loquats did awesome for me.

Christina Vincent 03-26-2012 07:42 PM

Cat- the monkshood you mentioned sounds awesome I LOVE tall color. Are they seeds? I have multiple micro climates for diff plants (succulents-dry/woods damp and dry/shaded areas/ 6-7 hrs sun areas and full on sear your eyeballs southern sun areas lol) so as far as zones go I have been successful with it all except veggies O.o. lol really something I wanna master with this space I have :) heh

Mikeg414 03-26-2012 11:01 PM

Long time since I have been on! Christina, I am very interested in a Sago pup or 2, and a couple oak saplings if you are up for it!!! I have some houseplants I can trade: Angel Wing Begonia, 2 Large Stricta airplants that Have been removed from the mother plant for nearly 2 years are are strong and healthy, Red variation and normal Prayer plant cuttings just starting to root in water, and that is about it for now. I can top off my Nepenthes sanguinea and start a cutting of that if you'd like too. Please let me know! Thanks,
Michael

Christina Vincent 03-27-2012 08:21 AM

No problem on the sago pups Mike, the oaks I haven't had to ship yet but am totally willing to attempt! (sry mostly pick ups lol) and while the leafed sagos do great after a few days of darkness -shipping-with a drink of water n sunshine, I am unsure of the oaks takin to the dark? So let me take a look around and see what I can come up with. We'll get you some baby oaks lol the adults are amazing, I'll post a pic of the adults on my profile, tho I personally had nothing to do with growin them lol they have been around a lot longer than I lol.

Mikeg414 03-27-2012 08:03 PM

If you can find a way that would be quite awesome! I recently acquired a 1.2 group of Giant African Millipedes and I really need some Oak leaves for them. I mean I can go into the city (I live in the country) and get some leaves, but I do not know about pesticides or pollution so I have decided to stray away from that idea. And none of the local nurseries have any oak saplings for sale. You can PM your e-mail and I will send you some money via paypal (if that is what you use, if not I can find another way). Also my zip is 98363. Thanks again Christina! Let me know if any of those plants I listed interest you too=)

Christina Vincent 03-27-2012 08:14 PM

These are just for donations...I don't wanna sell on this thread. And I don't think I can post ads until I pay the contribution BUT I am happy to find a way to get you a sapling and some other freebies! Lol

On the millipedes, do they eat the fresh leaves? Fallen leaves? Curious only because I can supply those in lg quantities, and depending on the need an oak may not grow fast enough...tho these guys do take off in the young yrs...just curious is all
Would the type of oak matter? I have Larual Oaks and River/live oaks and one other I haven't ID'd yet so I figure better ask if its for food! We could try diff ones maybe?

Christina Vincent 03-27-2012 08:20 PM

I think I could send it in a tube...like blueprints come in? PM me your zip code, I think a tube would allow for better shipping-no bending-be able to send a taller sapling...the absence of light worries me a lil i 'll look some stuff up, i'd hate for you to get a dead tree O.o my palms (all of um) do fine for a few days w/o light but I'll dbl check to be sure.

Christina Vincent 03-27-2012 08:23 PM

No pesticides or fertilizers are used on the property here. Pest control I always did with other "bugs" mantids are my favorite ;) and our soil is rich so there's never been a need to add ferts to it. Maybe that's why I'm having zero luck in the veggie dept...lol hrrrmmm

Mikeg414 03-27-2012 10:15 PM

[quote=Christina Vincent;1436886]These are just for donations...I don't wanna sell on this thread. And I don't think I can post ads until I pay the contribution BUT I am happy to find a way to get you a sapling and some other freebies! Lol

QUOTE]

Well I gotta pay for shipping lol!:)

WebSlave 03-27-2012 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christina Vincent (Post 1436886)
These are just for donations...I don't wanna sell on this thread. And I don't think I can post ads until I pay the contribution BUT I am happy to find a way to get you a sapling and some other freebies! Lol

Just for the record, no, you don't have to be a contributor in order to post classified ads here. But you do have to be a contributing member in order to REPLY to ads. Sounds kind of goofy, I know, but it was the only way I could stop the rampant ad bumping going on.

Christina Vincent 03-28-2012 06:01 AM

Oh! Thanks Webslave, I musta misunderstood. Makes sense about the "bump" thing.

Mike, I can cover shippin most likely. Let me look up some prices. If it's TOO much I'll let you know but so far for the plants -usps has been pretty decently priced. I will be out in the yard today lookin for your baby oaks for measurements (most are on the short side-3ft down to acorn sprouts lol)
But I could send a few if they're under 3ft! I'll let u know this afternoon.