FaunaClassifieds

FaunaClassifieds (https://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/index.php)
-   Hognose Snakes Discussion Forum (https://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=471)
-   -   Western Hognose not eating (https://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=638021)

lganimals 10-19-2017 05:17 PM

Western Hognose not eating

Hi! I have a albino western hognose who isn’t very old. He is probably 8-10 months. He went off food all the way back on June 19th. I know snakes go off food so I just let him be, occasionally offering food with no luck. I am a new snake owner although I have had reptiles. I’m getting concerned for the length he has been off food. I have tried pinkies and frog reptilinks but he refuses. He hasn’t lost any noticeable weight but has declined in movement a lot since no food. I just want to know what I can do for him to get him to eat. For back up info, he is in a 12x12x12 exo terra with a heat mat set for 87-89 on the hot side and around 75 on the cool side. He was taking food for about 6 weeks when I first got him. Any thing will help, just trying to do the right thing for him!

kalel5011 10-19-2017 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lganimals (Post 2037038)
Hi! I have a albino western hognose who isn’t very old. He is probably 8-10 months. He went off food all the way back on June 19th. I know snakes go off food so I just let him be, occasionally offering food with no luck. I am a new snake owner although I have had reptiles. I’m getting concerned for the length he has been off food. I have tried pinkies and frog reptilinks but he refuses. He hasn’t lost any noticeable weight but has declined in movement a lot since no food. I just want to know what I can do for him to get him to eat. For back up info, he is in a 12x12x12 exo terra with a heat mat set for 87-89 on the hot side and around 75 on the cool side. He was taking food for about 6 weeks when I first got him. Any thing will help, just trying to do the right thing for him!

This is THE EXACT same scenario I am in!!! Well, actually mine is extremely active everyday but everything else sounds the same.

I was told, on this forum, that males will do that. I keep offering and then I keep throwing the fuzzy away. Got a pack of ten fuzzies, he hasn't eaten a single one. I have the second to last one two days ago. I'm throwing it away tonight because he hasn't eaten it.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Reptiles 101 10-20-2017 12:52 AM

Have you tried live? i had a male go off food for about 3 weeks offerd him a live fuzzy today and he took it, i also moved him from a 16qt back to a 6qt tub and definitely acted less stressed and probably aided in his wanting to eat.

kalel5011 10-20-2017 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reptiles 101 (Post 2037146)
Have you tried live? i had a male go off food for about 3 weeks offerd him a live fuzzy today and he took it, i also moved him from a 16qt back to a 6qt tub and definitely acted less stressed and probably aided in his wanting to eat.

Wish I could get live fuzzies but my city doesn't have them. I wonder if the OP is in a similar situation?

lganimals 10-20-2017 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reptiles 101 (Post 2037146)

My city doesn’t have them anywhere. i have spent weeks looking but haven’t found one place :shrug01:

lganimals 10-20-2017 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kalel5011 (Post 2037196)
Wish I could get live fuzzies but my city doesn't have them. I wonder if the OP is in a similar situation?

Yup! I am in the exact same situation. I have looked for a while but I don’t have many pet stores around me! :time_waiting_01:

Reptiles 101 10-20-2017 11:38 AM

What kind of pet stores do you have by you.

lganimals 10-20-2017 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reptiles 101 (Post 2037220)
What kind of pet stores do you have by you.

The closest thing to a “good” pet shop is petco and petsmart and my hognose is obviously way to small to eat the feeders petco has

Reptiles 101 10-20-2017 11:44 AM

See if they have green anoles or brown anoles just dont tell them what you are going to do.
Once you do this you might have to start scenting his food with a anole though later on to keep him eating, i consider it a last resort.

lganimals 10-20-2017 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reptiles 101 (Post 2037222)
See if they have green anoles or brown anoles just dont tell them what you are going to do.
Once you do this you might have to start scenting his food with a anole though later on to keep him eating, i consider it a last resort.

I have thought about this before so I’ll keep a look out! Thank u!