FaunaClassifieds

FaunaClassifieds (https://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/index.php)
-   Venomous Snakes Discussion Forum (https://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=327)
-   -   gaboon feeding (https://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=651606)

jemster3 04-01-2018 12:09 PM

gaboon feeding

Ive had this particular gaboon for as while now. When I first acquired it, the snake was taking F/T no problem. Once it shed out it stopped taking frozen and I've had to feed live ever since, i was wondering if anyone had any tips to get a gaboon back on frozen thanks.

hotlips 04-02-2018 03:30 AM

That seems odd that your gaboon is now refusing F/T. Have you changed suppliers? Any chance these aren't the same quality? (now & then suppliers have allowed out-sourced frozen rodents to thaw, then re-froze them: as you might suspect, they got nasty & inedible, even making snakes ill that ate them) **How do you thaw them?** Incorrect methods allow spoilage, which your snake can smell far better than you can...that could make him refuse...wouldn't you? bleah! Have you given them a sniff for spoilage right after thawing & just before offering? And how long have you had them in the freezer?

If none of the above applies, most snakes will learn to accept F/T by feeding only a small live fuzzy (as an appetizer), then offered the F/T immediately after, while the snake is still pumped up about feeding. After a few feedings, most just take F/T again.
And I've not kept gaboons, btw, I am speaking for snakes in general.

Any chance you're just over-feeding? How long between feedings? Have you tried waiting longer to be sure he's really hungry? Maybe it's breeding season & that's where his mind is?

Ernie Mccracken 04-02-2018 03:53 AM

How often are you feeding? How many meals are you piling into your snake between defecations? These guys are so easy to overfeed. Ask me how I know.

jemster3 04-10-2018 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hotlips (Post 2066892)
That seems odd that your gaboon is now refusing F/T. Have you changed suppliers? Any chance these aren't the same quality? (now & then suppliers have allowed out-sourced frozen rodents to thaw, then re-froze them: as you might suspect, they got nasty & inedible, even making snakes ill that ate them) **How do you thaw them?** Incorrect methods allow spoilage, which your snake can smell far better than you can...that could make him refuse...wouldn't you? bleah! Have you given them a sniff for spoilage right after thawing & just before offering? And how long have you had them in the freezer?

If none of the above applies, most snakes will learn to accept F/T by feeding only a small live fuzzy (as an appetizer), then offered the F/T immediately after, while the snake is still pumped up about feeding. After a few feedings, most just take F/T again.
And I've not kept gaboons, btw, I am speaking for snakes in general.

Any chance you're just over-feeding? How long between feedings? Have you tried waiting longer to be sure he's really hungry? Maybe it's breeding season & that's where his mind is?

I've been feeding weekly and nothing has changed i defrost in hot water thanks for the reply!

jemster3 04-10-2018 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ernie Mccracken (Post 2066893)
How often are you feeding? How many meals are you piling into your snake between defecations? These guys are so easy to overfeed. Ask me how I know.

thanks for replying I've been feeding weekly