FaunaClassifieds

FaunaClassifieds (https://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussions (https://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   My African Grey Wont Speak (https://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75897)

AllyV 02-18-2006 03:02 PM

My African Grey Wont Speak

1 Attachment(s)
Hes 9 years old and doesnt speak often, can anyone help

Heres a pic of me everyone :raspberry

Cat_72 02-18-2006 04:01 PM

Ah, sorry, I can't be of much help with your Grey.......always wanted one but just hasn't been the right time. There are a couple of very knowledgeable bird folks here, I'm sure they can offer you some hints.

I had to say I love the pic though, lol....would love to visit Scotland one day as well. :)

AllyV 02-18-2006 04:18 PM

thanks i think thats my best side.pity you dont know how to get my bird talking :eatpointe hopefully someone can help me

Cat_72 02-19-2006 04:25 AM

I know Karen Hulvey is one of the very "bird-wise" folks on here....I don't recall seeing her post the last couple of times I've been surfing through here, but I'm betting she would have some words of advice if she sees your post.

If there's anyone else that is a "birdy" person on here, I don't mean to leave ya out, Karen is just the first that comes to mind!! ;)

Do you speak to your grey often? I know my cockatiel has actually picked up a couple of words that he jabbers incessantly just from what I always say to him, lol....every time I walk by him, he either says "hello" or wolf-whistles at me, and he's starting to say, "kittykittykitty", hehehe.

AllyV 02-19-2006 08:07 AM

I know a guy who sells cars , he has an african grey. His only whistles and it says hello to him.

He has grey hair an all

StevanHogg 02-19-2006 08:16 AM

Ally you are going to need a lot of patience with the parrot, and you must not get stressed out over it

DracosHuman 02-20-2006 11:38 AM

Hi

I have a Congo African Grey, he is almost two years old. He talks a little and mimics sounds.

I am not sure as to how to get your bird to talk, I would suggest that you talk to him a lot, be repetative and such. Does your bird mimic the phone and other normal household sounds?

I have found that Draco will mimic what I say the most....his first words being "Hi Draco" and "hello baby!". His vocabulary is definitly limited at this point. I am also convinced that he 'practices' his words when no one is home so he can surprise us when a human is near!

AllyV 02-22-2006 11:52 AM

My bird say Cmon the gers and whos the diddy.

But most of the time he mutters to himself and turns away from me as if he is in a huff with me

ladyserpent7 02-22-2006 05:45 PM

you said hes 9 yrs old? how long have you had him?..maybe if you got him recently, then he might still be getting used to you..or if in his former life his owners didnt treat him well or talk to him as much that might be the problem too.

Skunky 02-22-2006 06:30 PM

The key is repetition, repetition, repetition. Be as clear and concise with enunciation as possible..remember, they're mimicking the sound/syllables, not the words.

And as Stevan said, a whole lot of patience. Work on it, and it'll come to fruition!