FaunaClassifieds

FaunaClassifieds (https://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/index.php)
-   Geckos Discussion Forum (https://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   Problems with ants.... (https://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40290)

geckossupreme 05-29-2004 04:18 PM

Problems with ants....

1 Attachment(s)
Hi everyone, I need some help with a little problem I have over here. In my gecko's room I found yesterday a trail of ants going up to one of the sterilite where I have a CT. Yesterday I killed all the ants with a wet paper-toile. But today I wake up and I found the same trail going to the neighbor sterillite where I have another CT.

How I can stop this. Right now there are no more than maybe 30 ants, but I’m scare that this problem gets more serious. I don’t want to use any product from the supermarket that contains poison because those ants can carry that poison where my Gecko’s are.

Thank you guys. I need to find a solution…:(

geckossupreme 05-29-2004 04:21 PM

another Photo

1 Attachment(s)
another photo

Golden Gate Geckos 05-29-2004 04:56 PM

ANTS!!!

Here in California, we are being overtaken by ants!!! Last year, I had a little hatchling that was just starting to pip from the egg, and came back an hour later to check on it. There was a HUGE trail of ants leading right into the incubator and the deli cup... the baby had hatched but was completely swarmed with ants. The poor little thing was all chewed up, and barely alive. I rinsed her off in warm water, and put Benadryl cream all over her, but she died within a few hours.

If you are feeding crickets, they will attract the ants... especially an dead ones. There is a great product called "Terro" for ants, and it is a liquid that you put on little square of cardboard. The ants will go for it, and take it back to their nest. You do not have to spray anything around your geckos... just place it in the path of the ants and they will not go any further. It takes a little while to get rid of the entire colony, but it really works GREAT!

Here's their website for more information:
http://www.terro.com

geckossupreme 05-29-2004 05:00 PM

Thank you Marcia!!!

Thank you very much Marcia. Now I'm feeling more relaxed. I'm going to buy it right now.....:) :) :)

Blazin 05-29-2004 11:52 PM

ANTS!!!

ARRRGGGGGGGG. Two years ago Ants killed the only Blizzard I had ever hatched out! I have been keeping a close eye for them ever since. Another solution to your problem is to raise your racks and support them by bricks that are in Pans of water. Ants can't swim! I have never done this but it would be fairly simple to accomplish.

geckossupreme 05-30-2004 12:29 AM

Thank You Chad, Gill

That is a very good Idea. My mother used to do that when she made these very sweet cakes. My problem with that is; my shelf is assembled to the walls, and the ants have their trails on the walls.
Chad, Gill. Thank you for the idea.

Sincerely,
Christian Monahan

riverjop 05-30-2004 11:06 AM

Be real careful with ants!!! About 10 years ago I had about 15 baby "Jacksons" in a tub with there own tree. And ant came in and wiped out all of them but I think one!!!!!
If they can they will attack "ANYTHING adults or babies even unhatched eggs!!!
I would cross there "trail" with something! just a line across there trail will stop them.
But be carefull they will come back!
Try to find out where there nest is and get the stuff they carry back to the nest, that kills them. If you don't aggresively go after them they eventually will come back.

riverjop 05-30-2004 11:11 AM

Also It would be hard to isolate your "cage/rack" cause even if you could (with water) your still probably connected to the "wall" with your electric cord so they would find that and .......Wham....there back!!!

geckossupreme 05-30-2004 12:50 PM

RIVERJOB, BLAZIN

Thank yo guys, I already got the "terra" for ants, I'm going to keep a close eye to my gecko's room. Thank you again!!!

Sincerely,
Christian:)

Golden Gate Geckos 05-30-2004 01:13 PM

Oh, and another thing...

Another thing that works very well is Vaseline. I used to have serious problems with ants getting into my feeder tubs, but I spread a fairly thick coating of Vaseline around the bottom of the containers, and the ants have never again come back. The way ants work, is the 'scouts' that go out searching for food leave a scent trail for the rest to follow. The Vaseline disrupts the scent trail, and the ants can no longer find their way to the food source. This could be used instead of water for Chad's suggestion, or for cords, etc.