FaunaClassifieds

FaunaClassifieds (https://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/index.php)
-   FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum (https://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Filter for New Posts link (https://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=418420)

Celtic Constrictors 08-06-2013 01:29 PM

Filter for New Posts link

So, here I am, a Boa constrictor/Gecko enthusiast and every time I log in I see the link (## New Posts) and click it.

I gaze down the right column of the screen and see:

Ball Pythons
Ball Pythons
Ball Pythons
Boas
Ball Pythons
Ball Pythons
Ball Pythons
Ball Pythons
Ball Pythons
Ball Pythons
Ball Pythons
Ball Pythons
Ball Pythons
Ball Pythons
Leopard Geckos
Ball Pythons
Ball Pythons
Ball Pythons
Ball Pythons
Ball Pythons
Ball Pythons
Colubrids

I want a filter to remove the animals I am not interested in.
I jokingly call Faunaclassifieds "Ballpythonclassifieds" to my wife. ;)

I love this site, but... pretty please?

WebSlave 08-07-2013 11:46 AM

Sorry, but something like that would require custom coding that I would have a tough time convincing myself was really necessary to implement.

Celtic Constrictors 08-07-2013 05:29 PM

Oh I know but a guy can dream, right?

Celtic Constrictors 08-07-2013 05:30 PM

You could just restrict people from selling ball pythons though... Hahaha

AbsoluteApril 08-07-2013 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sanguine84 (Post 1632513)

:rofl:
good one!

I wish it would load more than 200, I think I posted about that a few years back, the solution offered and what I do - log on more often.
:D

Shadera 08-07-2013 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sanguine84 (Post 1632513)

And with that would go a lot of the paid subscriptions to this site, including mine.

You could always just go to only the forums you want to see posts in. Newest are always listed first. :shrug01:

Celtic Constrictors 08-07-2013 06:19 PM

I was saying that in jest. Yeah more than 200 would also be nice.

WebSlave 08-07-2013 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sanguine84 (Post 1632539)
I was saying that in jest. Yeah more than 200 would also be nice.

That is a restriction put in place to try to control server loading. The larger a site is, and the more posts involved in a search function, the more likely that SOME restriction will be necessary to limit excessive server loading. Imagine if everyone could pull up an unlimited number of hits for each search they would do, say on something like "python". That would just bring the server to it's knees in a hurry.

200 seemed a logical compromise between ALL and NONE, I think. If you haven't found exactly what you are looking for after 200 hits with the search engine, perhaps you need to be more creative with your search technique.

And as April mentioned, if you find 200 returns for all new posts too restrictive of a limit, you just have to check in more often to keep from losing some that drop off because of the 200 cutoff. Besides, how many people would really want to have to wade through more than 200 new posts at a sitting anyway?

If you are looking for something specific, just use the search function of this site to try to zero in on it.

Celtic Constrictors 08-07-2013 08:37 PM

I know there have to be restrictions is to server limitations. I've done a fair bit of programming myself. I wasn't trying to ruffle any feathers, just ranting.

I actually like the search function on this site. Another site I am a member of switched from a search function like you have here to ask.com search and it is rather terrible. I hope that never happens to fauna.

Celtic Constrictors 08-07-2013 08:37 PM

*due to, not as to.