FaunaClassifieds

FaunaClassifieds (https://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/index.php)
-   Just For Laughs (https://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=113)
-   -   Babysitterl kills family's pet snake.... (https://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49807)

cricket 09-10-2004 01:20 PM

Babysitterl kills family's pet snake....

Here is today's Dear Abby......

Dear Abby:

ADVERTISEMENT
Q: I am a 15-year-old girl who baby-sits for extra money. I baby-sat for a new family last week. After I put the kids to bed, I found a snake in the house. I was scared for the kids, so I grabbed a kitchen knife and chopped off the snake's head.

When the parents returned, I found out it was their pet snake that had escaped from its cage, and they were really angry. I feel terrible about it. Although I apologized, they won't talk to me when they see me in the neighborhood.

Should I write them a letter of apology or buy them a new snake? I don't know what the proper etiquette is when you kill someone's pet.

RATTLED in Texas

Dear Rattled:

A: You reacted to what you perceived as a danger. What is unfortunate is that the couple for whom you were baby-sitting were so careless they not only failed to tell you they had an exotic pet in the house, but also compounded it by leaving without making sure the creature was securely in its cage where it belonged. You do not "owe" the family a replacement. They owe you an apology.

cricket 09-10-2004 01:23 PM

"Just for Laughs"

I was not sure where to post this article.

It is NOT funny, but at the same time it is hilarious.

What do you think?

Sybella 09-10-2004 03:32 PM

I don't think it's funny at all.

And, I think her advice stinks. She could have said what she said and then added, "But if you feel that replacing their animal is the right thing to do and it would make you feel better, do it."

However, I do agree that they should have told the babysitter that a snake was loose before they left her there with the kids. That was careless.

cricket 09-10-2004 03:44 PM

I could go on and on about this article....

Irresponsible owners... blah blah

Children whom are uneducated about snakes and other reptiles.... blah blah blah

Children who hurt animals, even in fear..... blah blah blah

Abby could have done a little more research and could have written a thesis on this one.

It really should not have been posted under just for laughs, but was unsure where to post it. My intention is not to offend.

Tracey

Ron Mertz 09-10-2004 05:26 PM

So, let me see if I got this straight: according to "Abby", if my neighbor's dog gets loose, and I'm afraid it'll hurt one of the kids on the block, then it's O.K. for me to shoot the dog?

Yes, the parents are at fault for not telling the sitter, but if I lived in Texas, and my snake got lose, if I didn't see it for a few days, I would just figure it move outside. AND, you can not tell me the sitter didn't have a number where she could reach the parents. Cut and dry, being afraid of an animal does not justify killing it. What if it was an endangered species? Also, the sitter must have known something about snakes, because she obviously wasn't worried about it being venomous. So, if the snake isn't venomous, how much danger can you be in??

Bci Joe 09-13-2004 03:17 PM

Good point Ronald..
Lets someone send Abby a msg with the Dog..

Dear Abby, I was baby sitting my neighbors kids when a dog came in through the garage door and went straight to where the kids were sleeping.
I wasn't told of a dog and figured it was an attack killer of some sort, so I grabbed a baseball bat and proceeded to knock the dog senseless, until it collapsed, bleeding profusely.
et., etc., etc...

Let's see what she says then..

I can't stand ignorance..

Joe

Sand&SunReptile 09-16-2004 10:28 AM

Yeah, reptiles are relatively new, as far as pets are considered. Though some historical texts I'm sure will beg to differ. But a lot more people like furry and cute little animals, than our scaley compadres. More people would consider this "faulty ownership" and as previously stated the girl acted without any sense. I firmly believe she killed it because she wasnt fond of reptiles, snakes more so. The dog example was great, if a dog came in the house, she wouldnt have grabbed a knife, and butchered the poor animal. What if, lets just say, it was something like a fire ball, or pie bald regius. That would be an incredible loss for someone to take, because a girl got scared and killed the animal.
There is rarely an excuse for killing an animal that is posing no immediate threat, and is not past saving in terms of health.
No excuses, the pet should be replaced. How'd you feel if someone shot your dog?
Mike Fortier