FaunaClassifieds

FaunaClassifieds (https://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/index.php)
-   Venomous Snakes Discussion Forum (https://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=327)
-   -   broadbanded/osage copperhead feeding problem? (https://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=296616)

rsellers44 01-12-2012 03:09 AM

broadbanded/osage copperhead feeding problem?

Hello, i recently acquired a very young broadband/ osage copperhead mix that has been refusing to eat for 2 months now. I bought him from a guy who had very little knowledge about him and said he was " eating great" clearly not the case. I have been assist feeding once every 3 days for 5 weeks now. I have heard that this can be caused by being wc, breeder told me he was cb, also by being transported they can have a lack of electrolytes, so with the pinky mouse everyday he also gets 1mg of pedialyte mixed 50/50 with water im not sure if this is enough or how long this should go on before he takes to eating on his own. Should probably mention theres no vet that will take reptiles, let alone venomous, within a hundred miles of my house, so im kinda on my own. Any helo would be appreciated as i hate doing this, im afraid of harming him. Also im adding, temp is 80 to 85 dogrees f in the day and 70 to 75 at night with a humidity ranging between 50 to 80 percent. Also ive tried live, he kills and doesnt eat, tried lizards, frogs, rat pups, and as with some rattlesnakes, hamsters. Thanks and sorry if i have trouble, im new to this site, thanks.

Helenthereef 01-12-2012 05:54 PM

Hi Robert,

I can't help directly with your question, but as you are new to the site I thought I'd make a suggestion based on my own experiences here - I'd post in the "venomous snakes" discussion forum as well as this one.

The veterinary forum obviously is the right place to ask this kind of question, but it doesn't move very quickly, and it's been my experience that you often get faster responses in the specific discussion forum.

Good luck!.

danthebugman 01-18-2012 06:20 PM

If he is WC then being the time of the year it is he may be trying to brumate. Despite the temps it has been my experience in rehabbing wild herps that if they wanna brumate, you might not be able to do much about it. That said, it's also entirely possible that there may be something medically going on. You may try deworming him, if you haven't already, to start. Just curious as to why you've been force feeding...despite not eating for two months was he loosing weight? I've had Ball Pythons that have gone several months without eating and done just fine.

rsellers44 02-29-2012 08:51 AM

Sorry, i didnt get a notification this was replied to. Goods news though, last week he ate for the first time on his own. It turned out he did have some issues but reptaid seemed to cure it. It was a live mouse though but anythings better than nothing. He did bite, retract, and traced its scent trail about ten minutes later and ate. Thanks for thereplies though.

hadenglock 03-05-2012 02:42 PM

I was gonna say try live rosy fish, when they squirm on the ground that usually gets baby coppers to eat, and im pretty sure fish is a possible natural prey item for them as well

Jacobsone 03-06-2012 10:28 AM

Probably off feed for the winter. Have a yearling Trans Pecos that stopped feeding in early December. If overall in good condition and alert then give it one more month (April). Neonate wild copperheads will feed on other neonate snakes.

Elliott Jacobson
Gainesville, Fl

jsrocket 03-10-2012 09:18 PM

I have a WC adult broadband that was a very reticent eater at first. I finally got him started with live pinkie mice, then worked him up to appropriate sized (adult F\T) mice. He's still not the most aggressive feeder I've ever seen, but he will eat regularly now. Hope this helps.

venomgland 07-01-2012 01:22 AM

I named my Scooby after Scooby Doo cause all he wants to do is eat.. I can't feed my other snakes with out him freaking out in the cage.. I have to feed him first then move on to my other snakes, but he always wants more.

Helenthereef 07-01-2012 01:34 AM

Glad he started to eat for you.

rsellers44 07-01-2012 01:38 AM

Thanks, he still only eats live though but growing like a weed.