FaunaClassifieds

FaunaClassifieds (https://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussions (https://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Snake or Parrot (https://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=511112)

Stormhunter 12-02-2014 07:13 AM

Snake or Parrot

Hello people's! Im moving into an apartment on my own here soon so it's about time I get a friend :) But Im at a dilemma. What Im considering is either a tree snake or parrot. I'll be working full time, but I'd like a friend I can come home to. Any opinions on either?

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Tapatalk

hhmoore 12-02-2014 08:50 AM

Parrots are more demanding of time and attention...and they will act out if they don't get it (noisy, plucking, etc). If you're thinking about a bird, I urge you to do LOTS of research beforehand.

Lucille 12-02-2014 09:34 AM

I agree. Parrots need out of cage time and interaction. Just being alone all day will cause some of them to scream and pluck.
A snake is far less demanding.
Another possibility is a pair of kitties, they will be happy to see you at the end of the day but can have a very nice time during the day with each other and a few simple toys.

It might be a good idea to give the whole situation six months or so before you make any decisions. Being on your own can be exhilarating but also exhausting if you are not used to budgeting your time in terms of shopping, cleaning, laundry, etc.

It's good to see that you are thinking it through beforehand, kudos to you.

JColt 12-18-2014 05:51 PM

I baby sat a parrot for 2 weeks for a friend when they went out of country. That thing is lucky to be alive today. I almost killed it 4 dozen times. You have to spend a lot of time with it and if it doesn't bond with you it will act like an 8 year old that hates your guts. Get the snake or kitties like Lucille mentioned. :yesnod:

Helenthereef 12-18-2014 06:45 PM

Plus the neighbours will probably never know you have a snake - but there is very little missing a squawking bird next door....

Beyond GenetiX 12-18-2014 06:53 PM

Snake! Definitely snake! Sorry, Rain Man flash back

Snake-Queen 12-18-2014 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JColt (Post 1785215)
I baby sat a parrot for 2 weeks for a friend when they went out of country. That thing is lucky to be alive today. I almost killed it 4 dozen times. You have to spend a lot of time with it and if it doesn't bond with you it will act like an 8 year old that hates your guts. Get the snake or kitties like Lucille mentioned. :yesnod:

Exactly!

I am biased, as most birds hate me and decide I am something to be bitten.

Snakes require little attention and don't mind if you leave it alone for a week, as long as it is fed and has fresh water.

Cats will want attention on their terms, so they are also a good choice. Or a pet rat. :)

Stormhunter 12-19-2014 08:08 AM

Rat you say?? :o How are pet rats??

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Tapatalk

Lucille 12-19-2014 08:17 AM

Pet rats are underrated. They are very smart and sociable. It may be best to get two rats of the same gender as one rat may be lonely during the day.
You will need to invest in a large cage with toys for them to chew on. Some people have even taught their rats to use a litter box.
However, their life span is only a couple or three years.

JColt 12-19-2014 12:53 PM

I've had pet rats that would come to me when called by name, taught to use front paws to take food from me instead of using mouth, curl up and fall asleep on my chest. Most used to love play wrestling with my hand and would grasp my hand and gently use teeth play biting. My biggest problem though is I'm allergic to scratches from claws. Even though they were only slight I'd welt up something fierce.

Snake-Queen 12-19-2014 01:59 PM

I've had several pet rats, I currently have one. They are very social and smart.

Helenthereef 12-28-2014 09:51 PM

I agree, rats make great pets - and honestly, will respond to you much more than a snake will, if you are looking for something to talk to!