FaunaClassifieds

FaunaClassifieds (https://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/index.php)
-   Geckos Discussion Forum (https://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   Grain mites/Book lice! (https://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60415)

gothra 12-30-2004 12:52 AM

Grain mites/Book lice!

I had the grain mites infested my mealworm containers about 2 years ago. Ever since then, I put all my worm and beetle containers within a tray of detergent water hoping that'll keep out the mites. However, I just discovered 2 of my containers (out of 7) got infested again!!! Grrrr...!

The other time when my worm colonies got infested, there were tens of thousands of those dust-like creatures, throw in a piece of carrot and it'll completely covered with the mites in half an hour. This time, its slightly different; the mites seems spherical and much larger (~0.5mm size), there are not that many of them, I can only find dozens (maybe a hundred) of them each time on the vege; but that's enough for me to throw away the containers.

Don't know what else I can do keep them away. :crying:

dragonflyreptiles 12-30-2004 10:24 AM

Maybe some of that spray Mite Off sprayed on the lids? Not sure if that would help but it would be worth a try.

riverjop 12-30-2004 10:49 AM

l.....

riverjop 12-30-2004 10:49 AM

Bonnie! Isn't Hong Kong where Godzilla was born? Oh My God! There morphing!!! Run for the hills!

Actually we have talked about this before, and I don't think there were any definitive answers on dealing with them. I had them to and I tried wiping down everything with disinfectant and that didn't do a thing. They just sorta went away after awhile. I will say one thing not to do, is try to vacuum them up.....not a good idea, spread the little buggers everywhere! yikees! :hot:

try doing a search on fauna "book lice" "book mites" etc... or call Shannan she's the lice expert :dgrin:

ShannanD25 12-30-2004 11:16 AM

No, I am the roach lady, not lice queen....

From what I have heard....Overton is the King of itchy itchy...he knows ALL about the lice....

Seriously though, they do suddenly go away. Also try placing a slice or carrot or potatoe near them. They will all go to it and keep replacing it and throwing it away. It helps. Good luck!

aliceinwl 12-30-2004 08:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
One of my co-workers had a psocid (aka booklice, they're not really lice btw)infestation. He tracked it to a container of oatmeal. Once he got rid of the oatmeal the psocids gradually disappeared. Try doing a search for psocids or Psocoptera for erradication ideas. I've attached a pic I took of one of my co-worker's psocids under a microscope.
-Alice

Lucille 12-30-2004 09:13 PM

I swear to G I will NEVER eat oatmeal again......

gothra 12-30-2004 10:42 PM

Overton! Godzilla...but Mothra can fly!! :dgrin:

I hate those mites/lice, they could never be get rid of. I didn't even try to clean it out, I actually throw the whole thing away last time. Oh well, I think I'll just have to live with it, as long as their numbers are keep low, and do no harm to my leos...

Happy new year everyone.

TooManyBurmese 12-30-2004 10:57 PM

Kind of a stupid question but do these bite people? I am trying to figure out which mite the "rodent" mite is...

aliceinwl 12-31-2004 02:42 AM

Psocids are not mites. They are insects belonging to the order Psocoptera. Most species feed on stored grains, book bindings, wallpaper paste, fabric sizing, and other starchy products. None are known to bite / feed on anmals.
-Alice