FaunaClassifieds

FaunaClassifieds (https://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/index.php)
-   Field Collecting/Observing (https://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=459)
-   -   Yard-herping in northeast AZ (https://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=624103)

Fangthane 06-24-2017 12:02 PM

Yard-herping in northeast AZ

4 Attachment(s)
I moved out to Az about a month ago. I guess I'll use this thread to periodically chronicle whatever reptiles I find wandering across the property. Aside from the countless little fence lizards and skinks that seem to be everywhere, I've only come across a couple of things worth mentioning. These pics are kinda crummy, but they're all I have for now. Taken with a Galaxy S4. My new S7 should arrive next week, so maybe the next batch I take may be somewhat better looking.

Donald C 06-24-2017 09:11 PM

Nice finds. Love the gopher, wish we had some where I live.

Helenthereef 06-24-2017 10:41 PM

Nice idea, hope you keep posting. :thumbsup:

For those of us unfamiliar with US species, would you mind adding what they are?

Fangthane 06-24-2017 11:04 PM

Apparently, the snake is a gopher snake (thanks, Donald). The lizard is a desert horned lizard, aka "horny toad." I'm not particularly well-versed in indigenous herps, as my main interest has always been exotics. The snake was actually found today. I was unceremoniously awoken this morning by someone opening my bedroom door and yelling "SNAKE!" I stumbled outside and grabbed my hook, half-dreading the idea of having to wrangle a diamondback while half-asleep. The dogs were going crazy trying to get at something, so I kinda had to act fast. Luckily, it turned out to be something harmless.

Helenthereef 06-24-2017 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fangthane (Post 2009756)
The lizard is a desert horned lizard, aka "horny toad."...
I was unceremoniously awoken this morning by someone opening my bedroom door and yelling "SNAKE!" I stumbled outside and grabbed my hook, half-dreading the idea of having to wrangle a diamondback while half-asleep. .

Thanks for that, I've never seen a (reptilian) horny toad before. Maybe you should keep a pair of gumboots by the door for those early morning alarms though. :)

Donald C 06-25-2017 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fangthane (Post 2009756)
Apparently, the snake is a gopher snake (thanks, Donald). The lizard is a desert horned lizard, aka "horny toad." I'm not particularly well-versed in indigenous herps, as my main interest has always been exotics. The snake was actually found today. I was unceremoniously awoken this morning by someone opening my bedroom door and yelling "SNAKE!" I stumbled outside and grabbed my hook, half-dreading the idea of having to wrangle a diamondback while half-asleep. The dogs were going crazy trying to get at something, so I kinda had to act fast. Luckily, it turned out to be something harmless.

Looking further into it, I believe it is a sonoran gopher snake (pituophis cantifer affinis).

Fangthane 08-06-2017 08:32 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I haven't come across anything different lately, but I did come mere inches from mulching this adorable little guy with my mower today.

Slowpoke 08-06-2017 08:41 PM

Man, that little dude has attitude! Great find, and great save.

Donald C 08-06-2017 09:10 PM

Oh, that's so cute

elena 08-06-2017 10:20 PM

So cute! When they're not doing the blood-from-the-eyes thing...