FaunaClassifieds

FaunaClassifieds (https://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/index.php)
-   Field Collecting/Observing (https://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=459)
-   -   Will gas prices have any influence if you go (https://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66949)

old guy 03-27-2005 04:42 PM

Will gas prices have any influence if you go

this year to far away destinations to hunt/observe reptiles? Several of us has been debating some of our trips if the gas prices goes to what they are rumored to get to. At this time my home town gas price is at $2.20 and it has been climbing between .02 cents and .04 cents per day or every other day. The big gas company here stated they are going up 24 cents by next week or next so that makes a fill up in my Toyota truck at $46.00 ! Whew ! The place where we normally go, the gas prices are at $2.49 already and by summer they are telling us it will be at least around $2.79 or $2.98. I was just wondering.

robin d. 03-27-2005 07:12 PM

chances are no beecause i don't think it wise for me to feild collect when i cant see (plus it aint no fun if you cant see it).... especially where i want to go has coppers and rattlers and corals... spideys and scorpions.... i would be a liability however i know it would have no bearing on my husband going

CAV 03-27-2005 08:11 PM

A vacation is a vacation!

I'm still going to West Texas in June. It is still cheaper than going to most places, and there are Alterna and Subocs. ;)

Bringerofdoom 03-27-2005 09:37 PM

You all are lucky. I live in ohio now :(

Emporia kansas is where my love for reptiles began. I grew up 7 miles out of town and i remember tons of snakes and lizards and other things. My mom had given me a reptile fieldbook, so i was always out in our 4 acre land with this book looking up every little moving creature i found.

I remember riding my bike in the middle of town, in emporia and seen a copperhead give birth. Until then i did not realize THEY give birth to live young. That was interesting to watch, until they all were out........

:bolt01:

But to be on topic here, i WAS entertaining the thought of field collecting this year. With these gas prices though, i am having my doubts of going.

robin d. 03-27-2005 10:05 PM

Quote:

I'm still going to West Texas in June. It is still cheaper than going to most places, and there are Alterna and Subocs.
watch out for the hots over there... lep, westerns,transpecos coppers and coral.... redheaded centipedes, tarantuals and spider and scorps... have a good set of tongs and a coule of good hooks... and bug spray

CAV 03-28-2005 12:16 AM

I'm a fifth generation Texan Robin so I know what little wonders await. Heck, most of that can be found in Austin! :D

reptilebreeder 03-28-2005 02:30 AM

A couple friends and I started planning our "major" trip to AZ about a month ago, so given that we were already planning the trip, and also that it is our major excursion, we will still be going next month. Had the trip been all the way to Texas, or not already planned, we may have altered our plans. We always take one major trip and many minor trips every year. I think it will affect the number(or at least the distance) of "minor" trips we take this year.

jonellopez 04-29-2005 04:01 AM

You're still lucky. . .

It's already 2.79-2.99 here in the San Francisco Bay Area and i'm pretty sure if everything stays the same it will be 3.00 plus here when summer hits. I say do it sooner and indulge now than later in the summer since it definitely going up. Take care

Jonel @ Selective Propagations
www.spsnakes.com