FaunaClassifieds

FaunaClassifieds (https://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/index.php)
-   Field Collecting/Observing (https://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=459)
-   -   Rare Find in Central FL (https://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=230135)

extreme_hypo 03-03-2011 03:47 PM

Rare Find in Central FL

2 Attachment(s)
Well I have found one alive!
Over the past few years a few DOR but this year got lucky.
One of the most majestic snakes in the area, very secretive for such a large animal. Nice 5 ft+ female released to hopefully breed this year.
Enjoy...mike

Helenthereef 03-03-2011 03:54 PM

A beauty!

WebSlave 03-03-2011 05:12 PM

Nice!

I've seen a few pines up here in north Florida but they absolutely did NOT care for human beings at all. I saw a rather large one crossing the road near my house while I was driving home from work. Just saw the back end easing off the road into the bushes. I stopped the truck and as soon as I had opened the door, I heard it hissing to beat hell already. I just walked over to take a look at the big piney at the ready to defend itself to the death, then got back in the truck and continued on home.

The ones up here that I have seen seem to be darker colored than the one in your pic.

scaledverts 03-03-2011 10:49 PM

Wow, nice find Mike.:thumbsup:

annmikeal 03-04-2011 10:23 AM

Wow, Great find :)

chamgirl99471 03-06-2011 01:18 PM

Great find.. the last one I encountered was eating the chicks of a person whom I was petsitting for :( I took her home getting ready to relocate her to a State Park and she ended up laying 19 eggs for me! I ended up hatching out the eggs and all survived.. I released mom and the babies into the park and my backyard and still see a few occasionally but they sure don't like humans!

LEORA22 03-10-2011 10:47 AM

thats really awesome to be able to do all that... congrats :)

akonitony 03-20-2011 07:50 PM

That has got to be one of the nicest finds I've seen in a long time. I was on my way to one of my fishing spots a few days ago and there was a nice E. g. guttata laying in the middle of the dirt road I was on. It had stopped and done the little 'I am a stick' freeze, which probably would have gotten either it's head or tail ran over if I hadn't been thinking about slowing down and doing a little road hunting in the early morning sun. It's about a 3-footer, and I am leaning towards a male, although I haven't probed it yet. At first, I was going to just put it off the road, but after I looked it over a bit and could not find a single flaw in it's pattern, I decided it was time to move my male D. c. corais out of his 55-gal and into a 75, and let this little corn snake have the 55. I usually don't get excited over corn snakes, but this little one ate a fresh-killed mouse out of my hand as soon as I got it home, and never offered to defend itself other than a little musk and tail shake now and then.

Ntyvirus 03-21-2011 12:05 AM

nice find

Jon.Jon 04-19-2011 05:49 PM

Awesome find, I love skating clermont btw best hill in FL