FaunaClassifieds

FaunaClassifieds (https://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Herp Talk (https://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=609)
-   -   Question about insurance and snakes (https://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89705)

liquidleaf 11-01-2006 11:18 AM

Question about insurance and snakes

I heard from a friend that if your insurance company somehow finds out that you own snakes, they can (and usually will) drop your homeowner's insurance coverage, regardless of the species of snake.

Has this happened to anyone? I've heard of companies cancelling due to pit bulls or other so-called 'aggressive' dogs, but ANY snake? That sucks.

Also - all you breeders and reptile business people who work out of their homes - how do you insure your snakes in case of theft or fire, or is that even possible? I'm sure separate business insurance is probably available, but anything I find on the net about livestock insurance only covers typical livestock (ie cows, sheep etc) and not exotics.

Thanks!

droogievesch 11-01-2006 01:50 PM

I hope that's not true or my parents would have yet another reason for me to get rid of the animals!!! As for insuring snakes, I've wondered the same thing and I don't know the answer (since many collections are worth quite a bit).

Bill_Leverton 11-01-2006 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by liquidleaf
I heard from a friend that if your insurance company somehow finds out that you own snakes, they can (and usually will) drop your homeowner's insurance coverage, regardless of the species of snake.

Has this happened to anyone? I've heard of companies cancelling due to pit bulls or other so-called 'aggressive' dogs, but ANY snake? That sucks.

Also - all you breeders and reptile business people who work out of their homes - how do you insure your snakes in case of theft or fire, or is that even possible? I'm sure separate business insurance is probably available, but anything I find on the net about livestock insurance only covers typical livestock (ie cows, sheep etc) and not exotics.

Thanks!

Lauren, Thats what happened to me, That was one of the reasons I bought a trailer on 5 acres to house my boas and to live. my other house they told me I had 30 days to remove the boas or they would drop my insurance...so I live in this one and my wife lives in the other and we are both happy, she's not a reptile person :rofl:

droogievesch 11-01-2006 03:00 PM

What is their reasoning behind this? I mean a boa is less dangerous than any type of dog...is it just the bad reputation they have? Also, does this policy vary by company or is it a universal policy?

Bill_Leverton 11-01-2006 03:01 PM

sorry hit wrong button, I have heard of companies that do insure you animals but you have to pay out the ying yang and even then the only insure up to a certain amount.

Bill_Leverton 11-01-2006 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by droogievesch
What is their reasoning behind this? I mean a boa is less dangerous than any type of dog...is it just the bad reputation they have? Also, does this policy vary by company or is it a universal policy?

bottom line was Boas can crush a human or cause serious bodily harm and what pissed me off about this whole thing, was I sold a boa to my agent when I bought my first house and when I bought the trailer he got pissed when I told him I didn't want H O insurance on it, he told me that in NY it is required, but leaving out the fact in NY it is only required if you have a mortgage. :rofl:

Bill_Leverton 11-01-2006 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by droogievesch
Also, does this policy vary by company or is it a universal policy?

I did a search and was basicilly told that by 98 % of the companies.the other 2 % wanted outrageous premiums.

Griz 11-01-2006 04:07 PM

They are classified as exotic animals. Whether you have snakes, monkey's or any other form of exotic pet, you will be cancelled. I own my insurance company and I cannot get this coverage for myself even! They simply will not make the allowance. I won't say it's not possible but I know of NO company that will insure you. Bottom line, if you have these in your home then you are at a loss should your home burn down etc.

Now, if you want to run a legitimate business and house the animals elsewhere then yes, we can ensure you through a commericial policy.

Griz

liquidleaf 11-01-2006 04:40 PM

Another question. If snakes were housed in an outbuilding (as in, detached building, not part of the house), would homeowner's insurance also cancel if they found out in that case as well? Or will just having snakes on your property period, no matter if it's in the house or not get you cancelled as well?

liquidleaf 11-01-2006 04:44 PM

I understand that snakes are not COVERED under homeowners for loss value... but if they are in a building that's not the main house, if they were to drop everyone who had one measly pet snake... sigh. Seems dumb to me. I really dislike insurance companies sometimes.