FaunaClassifieds

FaunaClassifieds (https://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/index.php)
-   Geckos Discussion Forum (https://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   Morph Guide (https://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68008)

magick-bears 04-25-2005 06:21 PM

Morph Guide

I was wondering if there is a Leopard Gecko morph/genetics guide available (online or off) anywhere. I would love to see a listing of all the morphs with a description and if it is genetic or line-bred. If genetic then is it simple recessive, co-dom, multiple genes, etc.

Thanks,
Jeff C.

dragonflyreptiles 04-25-2005 07:27 PM

Here is a good one:

http://www.leopard-gecko.net/morphs/

magick-bears 04-25-2005 07:44 PM

I tried the link but it just sent me to a search/directory engine and not a leo site :(

~Jeff C.

dragonflyreptiles 04-25-2005 09:25 PM

hmm looks like the site is down :(

thesnakecharmer 04-26-2005 01:41 AM

Here's one of my favorite sites . .

Steve is an awesome guy and his site is very informative.
Here is the morph page, but you can also click on the genetics link for tons of info. I actually have a lot of this info. printed out and refer to it often. Hope it helps you!
Nicole

diablohogs 04-26-2005 04:06 PM

your "favorite site" doesnt even acknowledge hypos to be anything but line bred. i emailed steve sykes about this and his claim that...

Quote:

Hypo tangerine and carrot tail are both line-bred traits.
on his morph page.

this is untrue. while before the discovery of the Ray Hines Hypo Carrot Tail all hypos were linebred, RHHCTs have been around since 2000 (i believe thats when they hit).

he believes the "giants" and Mack snows (he calls them genetic snows) to be codominant (and actually both those traits should be INCOMPLETE DOMINANT. a non-super codominant giant gene would look like elephantitis and a non-super codominant mack snow would have SECTIONS of yellow or red pigment not just an overall more yellow hue). however even the producers of these morphs call them codominant so thats understandable.

but the part that puzzles me is why he would recognize giants to be codominant, which ron tremper just admitted within the last year (remember giants used be a simple recessive trait according to ron tremper?), and claim hypos are not. he even has pictures of super hypo carrot tails on his site. :rolleyes:

thesnakecharmer 04-26-2005 04:33 PM

So what you're saying is . .

that overall, the info. he has posted on the different morphs is inaccurate? I have a very slight understanding of leo genetics and was using the info. from his site as well as a few others to understand it a little better . . however I seem to be getting a lot of conflicting information. And what is Incomplete Dominance? I am only working with Bells and Tangs right now, but I would certainly appreciate some background . . Geesh, it can be so confusing! :confused: Thanks for catching that and pointing it out . .
Nicole

leaftail 04-26-2005 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by diablohogs
your "favorite site" doesnt even...

this is untrue...

... actually both those traits should be ...

but the part that puzzles me is ...

Chad, I look forward to viewing your Leopard Gecko Morphs page, complete with photos and error-free descriptions.

diablohogs 04-26-2005 05:35 PM

Quote:

Chad, I look forward to viewing your Leopard Gecko Morphs page, complete with photos and error-free descriptions.
me too.

my leopard gecko website is currently a work in progress but i promise to include a morphs page when it is finished.

diablohogs 04-26-2005 05:44 PM

Quote:

overall, the info. he has posted on the different morphs is inaccurate
no not really. actually all of what i read on his morphs was accurate with the exception of the info on hypos and how it is is inherited.

as far as incomplete dominance goes... the subject of codominant vs. incomplete dominance has come up before. i sugest typing in "incomplete dominance" in the leopard gecko forums search engine you will find many threads that touch on the subject. you may even find the thread where the difference was explained to me for the first time.