FaunaClassifieds

FaunaClassifieds (https://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussions (https://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Anyone know if you can own an owl? (https://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67468)

llechler 04-07-2005 09:26 AM

Anyone know if you can own an owl?

Just wondering if anyone knew the rules and regulations about owls? A friend of mine wants to have one, but I didn't know their status? I know a lot are endangered, but I'm talking about the small barn owls mostly. Any info would be appreciated. I cannot find anything on google.

DAND 04-07-2005 09:55 AM

You'd probably have to check with your local Wildlife or Game and Fish office.

Lucille 04-07-2005 10:07 AM

Here is a link showing statutes protecting some Nevada owl species, scroll down for the owl statutes:

http://www.leg.state.nv.us/NAC/NAC-5...l#NAC503Sec050

Mister Internet 04-07-2005 11:44 AM

IIRC, they are considered by most DFW's to be "birds of prey", and their ownership would likely be covered under the auspices of your state's falconry laws. Many states allow ownership of birds of prey only in compliance with falconry regulations, which require specialized housing, an extensive "apprenticeship" with a master falconer, and a license or two.

I would start by searching for falconry clubs in your state... speaking with one of the officers in one of those clubs would probably provide answers to most of your questions.

llechler 04-07-2005 01:11 PM

Thanks for the tips.

The BoidSmith 04-07-2005 07:50 PM

Some time ago I was looking into falconry. After reading all the rules and regulations, permits, expenses, required training, etc. I decided it was not for me.

Regards.

Whip 04-07-2005 08:22 PM

Please Don't Buy Raptors

:hot: Unless you are willing to under go an apprenticeship under a
master falconer. They do not make good pets. I was into falconry
years ago, and it is more religion than sport.

TomO 04-10-2005 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whip
:hot: Unless you are willing to under go an apprenticeship under a
master falconer. They do not make good pets. I was into falconry
years ago, and it is more religion than sport.

That's an odd statement. I was into falconry when I lived in Africa, and while it is incredibly time-consuming, I can't see how it could be likened to a religion.

I did raise and train an eagle owl for a freind, which I thoroughly enjoyed.

Whip 04-10-2005 11:05 AM

Tom,,,your are correct. It is very time consuming. Correct Falconry practices
require many skills , involving correct diet, housing, excercise, training and
flying etc.,,,,. As you know,,too many to mention in this post. If done correctly, flying your birds everyday in itself is time consuming. I guess
the religion comparison came from the idea of commitment to the sport.
I may have overstated a bit to dissuade anyone from keeping Raptors as
Pets. By the way Tom,, what did you hunt with your Eagle Owl ? Beatuful
Bird,,always wanted to fly and breed.

cthulhu77 04-10-2005 12:04 PM

Have been a falconer for years and years now...jeez, how time does fly (pardon the pun)
Whip is correct...as a falconer, I usually try to dissuade people from getting into keeping birds of prey, initially...if they stick around long enough, then maybe they have the commitment to follow through.
Legal tangles abound, as well as the hatred from many animal rights groups...I have had people try to cut my birds loose at public shows, one even stove in my car window to try to get at a Scottish Peregrine I had...(she attacked him, by the way,causing quite a scene at the gas station)
Owning and working with a bird of prey is like nothing else...I recently had to choose, basically, between my wife and my hawks...there just isn't enough time in the day for both ! These animals (the hawks, I mean...actually, I guess it applies to wive's too...) demand a HUGE time commitment...they are not like any other "pet" in the world.
I would probably recommend that your friend volunteer at the local wildlife rehab center or zoo for a while, and get their feet wet prior to leaping into a situation bad for both the animal and the keeper...they could also tag along with the local falconry club for a bit, and maybe get bitten by the same bug that got me...ah well.
Not to worry...it is merely a temporary hiatus for me...hmm...importing an eagle....:) have to think and dream about that !
greg