FaunaClassifieds

FaunaClassifieds (https://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/index.php)
-   Field Collecting/Observing (https://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=459)
-   -   Would it be alright... (https://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98646)

Chris Steele 04-22-2007 05:52 PM

Would it be alright...

Would it be ok to feed a wild snake? Just a question.

iasc300 04-22-2007 10:08 PM

yes - What kind of snake is it?

garweft 04-22-2007 11:16 PM

I'm going to have to say no. There are a few reasons, mostly ethical, although disease could be a problem too. Then again I have like a half dozen different bird feeders, so who am I to say.

I did see where a researcher taught wild watersnakes to take minnows from his hand so that he could keep track of them in a study. I don't remember the study completely, just that he hand fed watersnakes. weird, huh. :shrug01:

constrictorcrazi74 04-22-2007 11:21 PM

I had a northern water snake that would take blue gill from my hand and I kept her for about 2 years . When I brought her home after she chomped on my hand she was in her cage and my mom walked by and she had 45 babies 3 were still borns. I kept her for a long time and she never had a problem feeding . That was before my mom allowed to buy snakes though I dont think I would put a wild caught snake in the same room with my snakes I purchased .

Chris Steele 04-22-2007 11:56 PM

Well there is a black rat snake that lives in my shed, it is looking pretty badly malnourished now, so I was just wondering if I could give it a mouse. I have no intensions of catching it, though it is very docile, I am guessing from a lack of energy.

Wilomn 04-23-2007 12:11 AM

From time out of mind people have helped wild animals they thought were in need.

If you want to try to help this guy out, go for it. I can't see any harm coming from it. If he's already sick enough to be lethargic, he may not survive anyway. If he does survive, then he'll have to get over what's gotten him down.

Hopefully it is merely an injury or an unlucky stretch of missing prey items and not some illness that, if he recovers, he will then spread to other snakes in the area.

The coin always has two sides.

Chris Steele 04-23-2007 12:17 PM

Hmm, that sounds like the downside of the coin might be quite a bit larger.

Otter_23 04-23-2007 12:27 PM

Do you think if it is ill there is a good chance it won't eat and if it does do you think the one mouse would give it enough energy to spread whatever it has?

Wilomn 04-23-2007 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Otter_23
Do you think if it is ill there is a good chance it won't eat and if it does do you think the one mouse would give it enough energy to spread whatever it has?

One mouse could lend energy enough to eat more mouses which could enable a detrimental disease to be spread.

I don't really think that's going to happen, but it is possible.

I would catch the snake, feed it, see what happens, make sure it's healthy before releasing it or just find a home for it or, if it died, make it fertilizer.

Chris Steele 04-24-2007 01:42 PM

Eh I can't catch it. I can't endanger my corns and I don't really have another room to put it in.