FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - eastern indigo
Thread: eastern indigo
View Single Post
Old 07-28-2010, 11:06 PM   #6
akonitony
There is a game reserve called Big Pine in Brooksville, Florida, which is where I grew up. It is at the base of Chinsegut hill, which is one of the tallest hills in Florida, and a USDA farm as well. There is a sink hole behind my parents 5-acre lot at the northern end of Timberlane, which is at the end of Our road (that is the name of the road), which is off Old Crystal River Road. You can find this on Google earth. I used to roam every square inch of the game reserve when I was a kid. Now this was some 40 years ago mind you, but that sink hole was home to a very large indigo that I would see almost everytime I walked down there. I believe it was a female, but never handled it, because that would be "wrong". Anyway, over the years I have seen many of her offsrping in various places. We have seen probably not less than 10 in and around our yard over the years. If you are looking to see one in the wild, that would be the best place of which I know to find one. I also have a home in High Springs, FL, and we have probably 20 large gopher tortoise holes spread out on our property. I have one I can call by name and she will come up and eat romaine lettuce out of my hand. Anyway, where there are gophers, there are usually "blue gophers" as the ol' timers call indigos. If I see one, I will try and film it, or maybe we can all get together for some field herping one day. I think every admirerer of this species should have a chance to see one of these guys in their natural habitat at least once in their lifetime. They are the coolest thing to watch as they are truly kings of their domain. They will hunt right up to and past you if you stand still. My avatar is of a EDB I found in our front yard many moons ago. My cat was getting ready to take a swing at it while it was coiled and ready to strike. I guess she used at least one of her 9 lives there, but had 8 more to go. I caught this one and had my dad take a pic before we turned it loose down at the sinkhole. Anyway, where there are large EDBs you will also find D. corais couperi.