FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - "Failure to Thrive Syndrome" in Leopard Geckos
View Single Post
Old 04-23-2004, 02:55 PM   #1
Golden Gate Geckos
"Failure to Thrive Syndrome" in Leopard Geckos

I had a conversation on the phone this morning from someone who has several juvie albinos (his own stock) that are all doing very well except for one. This little 4-week old was eating very well on small crickets and little mealies until about two weeks ago, then just stopped eating. It is housed by itself and the environment is correct. I have no idea what the problem could be.

A few months ago, I sold an adult Patternless pair of breeders (proven) and a laying blizzard to a very good customer. The male had a bacterial infection last summer, and recovered nicely after 2 weeks of Baytril... his last fecal culture was normal. He was doing very well in his new environment, eating well and breeding with both females. Then he stopped eating, and began to lose weight, and nothing is showing on any lab tests. He has been removed from the females for quite awhile, and still is not thriving.

I know that often these kinds of 'unknown' problems get lumped into the "Failure to Thrive Syndrome", and never get resolved. There are many breeders and experts that actually claim to have never even had a sick animal (which I find very hard to believe), and I can understand how by admitting that they have had failures might be taken as a threat to their business, or ability to properly care for these particular geckos.

But, I honestly feel that by openly discussing these kinds of things we can learn so much from each other about our leos and these mysterious problems that elude us. I have always appreciated the breeders on this forum who have been able to do this. Any thoughts on the two cases I mentioned and/or "Failure to Thrive Syndrome"?