FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - woman in NY dead from Mamba Bite
View Single Post
Old 06-27-2011, 11:03 AM   #46
Pmsayi
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucille View Post
Thank you for the refs! I'm also interested in hospital and antivenin costs and protocols for snake bites.
No, I'm not getting a mamba , I sketched out a story idea yesterday.
Hospital costs can run as much as $20,000.00 per day hospitalized. You can find this out by calling your hospital and asking what the average cost per day to treat a snake envenomation runs.

It varies depending on the species. Current cost of Black Mamba anti-venom is $500 per gram. Copperhead anti-venom is $75.00 per gram Timber rattlesnake anti-venom is $150.00 per gram Indian cobra anti-venom is $150.00 per gram. Gila monster anti-venom is $600.00 per gram.

The amount necessary for treatment depends on several factors including severity of the bite, weight of the patient, medical health of the patient, age, and so on. These decisions are obviously best left to a medical professional. If you opt to keep hots you should be in contact with emergency room doctors and they can help determine how much anti-venom you should have on hand. It is also necessary that you are tested for sensitivity to anti-venom as the serum can kill you if you are allergic to it.

Basic first aid is to apply a pressure bandage to the afflicted limb, keep it below the heart, and seek medical attention immediately. If the snake can not be returned to its enclosure quickly and safely kill the snake. There are quite a few protocols that need to be in place when working with hots and there are a few good publications (some in print and some you need to know people to get) and anyone interested should obtain a copy before taking the next step. Mentoring with an experienced keeper should also be considered mandatory.