FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - What is a proper feeding schedule for boas?
View Single Post
Old 07-13-2011, 05:59 PM   #61
Mikkwa
Well, well this will always be a personal preference choice as to how often any of us are going to feed our snakes. I was like most of the other folks replying here, I read all I could & the consensus was to feed at least once a week during the rapid growth period. I must admit I did feed my snakes in this manner in the beginning, but as I ventured into more different species, I realized that way of thinking just wouldn't work every time.

I now feed different schedules for different age groups & species. Most are now on a 2 week for under 1 yr. & 3 to 4 week for over 1 yr. I will say I am not a breeder, mine are for my pleasure as a hobbyist & I have no desire to get them to a forced size. If it takes longer than someone else to get mine to a mature size, that is quite alright with me & none of mine are underweight or sickly for my slow growing of them.

I can attest to the health & well being of Tommy's, aka Metachrosis boas as I went to his home & picked my beautiful hypo female up in person. I got the royal tour of all his gorgeous snakes & he told me all about how he raises them. His setup is right on & the whole operation is super, so I have to say he definitely knows what he's talking about. I would follow his advice over something written in a book. Or on a google search by someone I've never met & cannot for any certainty know for sure even follows his/her own examples.

Everyone will agree & disagree on various things written or posted about this subject. I too have my agreements & disagreements about some of the comments, but in the end it's the snake & it's health & well being that should determine how you take care of it. If how you feed your snake(s) is working for you, then who's to say it is wrong?!