FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Bad Guy Swanee's Exotics Nate Swanson
View Single Post
Old 11-08-2011, 05:37 PM   #25
Pumpkin.King88
this "business" should be reported and closed

I was visiting Everett a few months ago and some friends took me into this store (Seattle Reptiles, used to be known as Swanee's Exotics) to show me the horrible conditions in which the animals are kept.... smaller snakes in deli cup containers in the display case where the cash register is, way too many boas and pythons sharing small tanks (most without a heat source), at least 25 Mississippi map turtles hatch-lings (with shell size of about 1.5" each) in a 15 gallon tank-at least they had a cork bark flat to bask on. They also had at least 3 or 4 sick looking Chinese water dragons in a very small Exo Terra terrarium with no water present...... they are arboreal and need tall enclosure with places to climb and a large dish of fresh water to soak in on a regular basis. They also had Axolotls in turtle tubs with snapping turtles!! Axolotls are very delicate "fish lizards" that can get their special gills and legs bit off by turtles. Although they do regenerate them eventually, this is not good. Snapping turtles are also illegal to sell in the state of Washington. Aside from every tank being over crowded and certain snakes spending all their days in deli cups until purchased, this place stinks! I cannot comment on the fish "room" because they have the tarantulas set up before it and I do not like tarantulas. It seems like anyone visiting this store would see all these animals in these conditions and not risk buying them, but I hope anyone wanting animals shipped from these people will read reviews first and think again about where these animals really come from and how they are being treated.
On another note, I did purchase one of the Mississippi Map Turtle hatch-lings because I felt awful and they didn't look like they had been their long since their tank was rather clean and it didn't have glass marker written on it describing the animal inside and price. He is healthy and happy. But, I hope this place is reported, even if it just because they have snapping turtles or for their lack of animal care.