FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Looking For Raccoon
View Single Post
Old 06-15-2004, 12:13 PM   #2
Nichalia
Raccoons!

I think NC is fairly lax with their laws, but I would first check to see what licenses you need to lawfully keep (or import from another state) a raccoon. I personally don't give one whit about laws... but you'll quickly find that keeping one legally is less of a headache. Especially when you need to take him to a vet. Oi.

You also need to be truly, truly sure you are prepared to devote your life to a smart-mouthed, spoiled little mischief-maker. They are ADORABLE as babies, but at around 8 months they get hard to control because of the whole mating season thing. It's a very serious issue, and you need to be truly sure you're prepared. Even if you have him spayed/neutered, he's still going to be unhappy and unruly during mating season.

You also want to go ahead and get vaccinated for rabies. And you need to find a vet in your area that will vaccinate your raccoon. They need feline distemper (6wks-ish), they need to be dewormed a couple times a year, and at around 12 weeks they need a rabies vaccine (MUST be a killed vaccine) and even then there's no gurantee that the little thing won't be a carrier.

They are spoiled (and wonderful) and they'll want a nice comfy setup (preferably a little room just for them) with lots of toys (LOTS) and pillows and blankets and things to climb on.

If you're intent on getting one, you'll want to be sure to get one that's not been weaned yet. (They are weaned around 8 weeks). Also, it's best if it comes from parents that were also captive born and bred. Raccoons can be born as rabies carriers, and can carry the virus for up to 5 years. You want to take every precaution you can.

If you are still interested, there are multiple places to get raccoons. One site that's full of babies as well as information is www.ratkateersrodentry.com There are a billion other sites, though. I'm not promoting that one site... it's just the only name I can remember offhand.

I know of a couple raccoons available here in South Carolina. Email me if you're still interested.

Happy coon-lovin!
Nichalia
(OraNechama@yahoo.com or Nichalia101@yahoo.com)